Salvador Dali - Purplelight

Salvador Dali - Purplelight

3.8

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I'm writing this review to save people from blind buys off discount retailers on the internet. This fragrance was a 2007 release manufactured 10 years ago I believe it either doesn't age well or has gone off. I took a risk on this based on reviews here and purchased from Strawberrynet dot com in a pack with matching body lotion for around US $35, it came unsealed.

I don't recommend buying from this source or blind off the internet without trying first. The Purple Light I received smelt revolting, like rotting daffodils, decaying lilly of the valley, rubber chemicals and traces of poo. NO fresh green notes or sweet lilacs. Just sickly, funky unwashed. White florals like the lillies, jasmine and gardenia in here do have a tendency to smell exactly this way when done badly/cheaply by companies so this may be it. Or the company brought off stock, or improperly stored it, either way they shouldn't be selling it in this condition now.

To be fair on Strawberry net, I have had good luck with the five Dali fragrances I purchased from them (Rubylips, Purplelips Sensual, Cherry Blossom and several Sea & Sun in Cadaques). And bad luck with two. This Purplelight one and the Maravilla Laguna (clear pale green lips bottle, not the frosted pale green Maravilla), which had lost all its citrus and also gone off.

Older perfumes from the 90's and earlier seem to age well for me but modern releases seem to change quite quickly, sometimes in as little as 2 years. I think they are selling cheap "fast fragrance" now, even in the mid-high range but that's another story). Also white florals , especially the cheap ones have a tendency to smell funky on some people so this is one category worth paying a little more for instore after you've tested several times.

Family - White Floral
Top Notes - bamboo leaf, cherry blossom
Heart Notes - lilac, jasmine, gardenia
Base Notes - musk, vetiver, almond blossom

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Purplelight is a fresh, sweet, feminine green floral that bursts open (near-overwhelmingly) with lilac followed by hints of of musk, cherry blossom, bamboo leaf, vetiver, jasmine & almond tree.

Like most eau de toilettes, the sillage (ie: perfume trailing) is low.

This is a favorite scent of mine, with an interesting sculptural glass bottle to boot! I catch whiffs of it all day if I spray it on the nape area of my hair in the morning.
continued >>

on 5/17/2008 3:16:00 PM

It's a very boring scent. I mean - it's not bad at all, but it smells like lilac. Nothing else. Like its only component was lilac.

I'm not a huge fan of Salvador Dali fragrances, apart from Laguna which I love!! The others I have tested have had nothing distinguishing about them, so when I received a tester of this one I must admit to only being vaguely interested in trying it. Well, I have to say that this is really lovely!! It just smells like spring time in a bottle, but delicate, freshly picked and gorgeous. The back of the sample states the notes are Cherry Blossom, Lilac and Musk. Spraying it straight away reminded me of all the gorgeous smells and blossoms that are out at the moment (I'm in Australia) and is pure spring time! Has quite good lasting power too.

on 7/14/2008 2:47:00 PM

Beautiful, light, greenish scent of scented Solomon's seal + lilac + white lily.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Beautiful soft floral with lilac as a dominant note. It instantly brings to my mind spring and blooming shrubs. It is a very delicate scent which stays close to the skin but lasts quite long. I dont like the bottle at all except for the pretty color. The perfume was composed by Francis Kurkdjian and I think if sold under his name and in a better bottle it would most likely get way more attention. Another MUA member compared it to En Passant, which I have yet to try. Five lippies for this gorgeous fragrance!

Popular Fragrances