Filtered by skin tone : Dark

4.8

Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

First, I purchased these from eBay and I am positive I do not have the "real" curlformers as mine are slightly off color from the ones that you can purchase from either the website or Sally's. With that said....I LOVE THIS HAIR STYLER! They are amazing...I have long, African American, extremely frizzy/curly/wavy/thick hair that is really long (approx 16-18 inches, and it was previously longer before cutting). I use either the extra long and wide curlers (1 inch curl), the extra long curl formers (1/2 inch curl), or a combination of the two. I have tried them both air drying and under the drier and I have to say I prefer the drier. I do not like to sleep with huge things in my hair, and I also like to separate the curls and pin curl them. To apply them, I usually use a leave in conditioner or curl cream and a bit of light oil. Sometimes, I will use a bit of gel, but I prefer a softer curl, so I usually do not include gel. After applying them to my hair, I either go to sleep, or sit under the drier. For my hair porosity, length and thickness, it usually takes about 2 hours to be dry completely. With that said, I cant sit still so I probably get up a few times. If for some reason my hair is not all the way dry before I go to bed, I will throw a few flexirods in my hair that are the same size as the curl, and take those out in the morning. To maintain for the week, I usually pin curl before bed, or throw in a flexirod or two (I do this if the curls drop a significant amount, and I want to make the curl tighter, without using heat).

I do not like applying tons of heat to my hair, mostly because I like my hair "fluffy", and I do not want to damage my natural curl pattern. Curlformers are my go-to styling tool as of late, I usually apply them a 2-3 times a month on wash day, and I will continue to use them. When my hair was longer than the 22 inch curler, I would twist my hair from the root a few inches, and then put the curl former in my hair...this works just as well. Also, sometimes I will run a warm flat iron through the roots.

on 7/11/2011 1:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

This is my first review!

I purchased curlformers to help me transition from relaxed to natural hair. I have thick hair that looks about 3c. I really like this product. It took some getting used to and trial and error. But now it's a breeze.

Some issues I ran into...

-Hair tugging on the hook: I resolved this by working with at least damp hair. Even if it's just dampened with leave in conditioner or detangling spray. Also, it's important to section off the hair into 1 or 2 inch sections. Then twist the hair at the root. By twisting at the root the hook will grab on better and hair won't slide out of the hook as you slide the curlformer on.

-Uncomfortable to sleep in: I resolved this by keeping the curlformer about an inch AWAY from my roots. If you are at the root you will NOT be able to sleep at all. The roots never came out ugly, so I continue to keep the curlformer away from my roots. Finally, I put the formers in so that they don't touch my face. (I wear side bangs, so install the curlformer so that it lays to the side and not on your forehead. Part your hair before you start.)

-Frizzy Hair: This is more of a hair issue than a curlformer issue. The results always came out great! But then my hair would frizz up. I switched leave in conditioners and added some oil to my hair. Now my style stays :o) So it's important for your hair to be moisturized. You might also want to try a setting spray.

Now that I'm used to the curlformers it takes me about 30 minutes to put them in. The latest I've put them in was about 1:30am and by 7am they were dry. I do use a microfiber towel to get out some of the excess water if it's a shampoo day. So that probably helps with drying. I purchased the salon kit, which comes with 40 curlformers... but I didn't need that many. I probably used about 20 at the most. Also, I have the long and wide kit, that comes with 6 short and wide. My hair is about 3-4 inches shorter than shoulder length, so that makes the curlformers too long for me, but the shorter ones the kit came with are too short and only work on my bangs. Therefore, I think I will be able to get a lot of usage out of these before my hair gets too long.

I will keep using these. I haven't noticed any breakage or tension breakage either. And to me these are easier to sleep in than bantu knots.

I hope this helped :o)

on 3/7/2011 11:38:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Love these. I have naturally wavy hair that I have never been able to wet set. I have tried magnetic rollers and mesh rollers. I do not really know my hair type, but it is not course, and it is not overly wavy either. I have never been able to get close enough to the roots when I used the other methods to wet set my hair. At 8 dollars a pack(including shipping) I originally bought the magic leverag on ebay, which is the knock off of these. I bought two packs which comes with 18 rollers per pack. It had 9 short per pack and 9 long per pack. These were both to short for my hair, which is to the middle my back. They worked just like the curlformers and were worth it because out came with two hooks and used two of the curlers. But I did have enough, so I went and bought 3 packs of the extra long curlformers and was able to do my whole head. These are very easy in my opinion, but I did see how others were messing up so I made sure that did not happen to me. I would say if your hair is not long, go and get the.ebay version. you will save over 50 dollars. I did not. sleep in them, I sat under the dryer, so I can not really say if they are comfortable not. but besides that I love them.
Update:
I slept in these, and I have no clue what anyone is talking about. They are as uncomfortable as any hair rollers that you sleep in. It is okay though because I do not usually sleep in rollers. Still a great product

on 1/21/2011 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I have kinky neck length natural african american hair (type 4a/4b) and curlformers give my hair smooth and shiny curls. You would never think I was natural. I've used the long and narrow ones to stretch my hair the most since its short and it comes out great. The material is mesh so its breathable allowing your hair to dry faster than with normal rollers.However, these things are expensive. Its 10 dollars a pack with 10 rollers and I need atleast 3 packs. I've also read that after a certain length curlfomers can't hold all of your hair. Hopefully they create longer ones by the time I reach that point. They have a few years lol....

on 8/2/2010 10:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Iíve used Curlformers for about 5 months and though I really appreciate the tool, I have to say that it has to be something wrong with the long&narrow ones, mainly the green ones. So far Iíve lost 10 spirals!! Considering that the package brings only 8 of them, it means that I lost more than a package so far. No matter how carefully I deal with them when set my hair, these green ones are really weak. So, ladies, be carefull when buy them: avoid the long&narrow curlformers!!

As to the results: yes, it is time consuming (takes me 1:30-2 hours to set my whole head), it is not comfortable to sleep with them and it takes hours to dry (I have a lot of hair and to get great results, I have to apply on wet hair). Another negatve point: I have to use a lot (around
70) because I donīt like the roller set look. I rather the spiral look and to get it, it is needed to use many spirals.

On the other hand, it makes my 4 type hair into a 3c (long and wide curls). I love it!!! The first day, the look is not very natural (it looks like as if I had used the curly iron), but as time goes by, it gets better and better. I can use my hair for 3-4 days down, with part of it getting frizzy (not too much to bother me).

How I use: I wash my hair, apply Deva One condition (not matter if it is curl or care), then melted shea butter or a mix of shea butter and put in the spirals. I do use the Deva sun for at least 1 hour with hot and cold air and go overnight with the spirals. The next morning, I take them out, put some oil on my hands and split the curls.

I tried to use 2 spirals (bought the short ones) and didn't like the result, it was also extra job.

I'll definitely buy more of them: the extra long ones!

Popular Hair Styling Tools