Filtered by eye Color : Hazel

3.8

I really like these! such a simple, great product! I have med length thin hair and 16 curlformers were enough for my hair. I dont understand how people sleep in them though!

on 7/25/2011 12:09:00 PM

I have very long hair and a lot of it. That said, this became a somewhat expensive venture for me because I ended up purchasing 7 bags of the wide/extra long curlers which totaled almost $100.00. I ultimately believe the price will be worth it because it takes forever for me to dry and curl my hair the 'normal' way. The curlformers take almost an hour to put in and probably another hour or so to dry on me.

It definately takes quite a few tries to get used to using these. Especially with long hair, I found that the wrong angle, wrong direction of the 'hook' and too large of hair sections made for a tangly mess. I ended up making 1/2 inch sections of hair per curler to avoid the tangliness.

The end result is beautiful ringlets that soften out to a noticeable waviness on me. Great for adding volume to my very straight hair.

My hair is layered with the longest layers around collarbone length. It's probably a 2A. I am horrible with foam or magnetic rollers and normally end up pulling out a lot of hair or getting funky curls where I didn't section properly or the holder made indentions. Hot rollers make me sweat, so I can't do my makeup while they set. I also have crappy upper arm strength so I tend to get tired before I am done using rollers or a curling iron.

Over the weekend, I washed my hair and patted it with a towel just enough so that it wasn't dripping. Then I applied some setting lotion. Don't know if this did any good or not - it was my first time using such a product. I might try a curl creme next time. I divided my hair into three sections, top, middle, and bottom. Started at the bottom and just used my fingers to create the sections. I did make sure to use one color on one side and the other color on the other side so that the curls would go the right direction. I worked my way upwards. I ended up using 25 of the curlformers. It took me around 20 - 30 minutes. I didn't use a mirror for most of it - just did it by hand while watching tv. Occasionally I used a hand mirror to check things. I only had one that pulled any hair and that was my fault.

I ended up leaving them in about 4 hours. I was going to take them out after 2 (my hair dries fast), but decided to see if I could take a nap in them. Took a while to find the proper pillow and position, but once I did, they were fine to sleep in.

Removing them was simple. Lots of nice ringlets. I ended up fingercombing through the length and using a comb on the front so that I could put on a headband. Flipped my head over and used a bit of hair spray. Curls lasted all evening, but weren't much the next day. I don't use much product and my hair doesn't hold a curl worth a flip, so this was expected.

Overall I was very pleased and believe they were worth the cost. (I got the salon kit when I had a 20% off coupon.) I can't wait until my hair gets a bit longer (or at least some of the layers grow out a bit) as I think it will work even better!

on 6/11/2010 8:13:00 PM

I have tried these out multiple times, I've watched youtube videos and whatever I can find to help me out. Overtime I learned how to use them but I find that they are just too time consuming for my head of hair. I'm much faster with a iron and with the styling products and technology nowadays, I don't have to worry about frying my hair.

Why I hated them: The curlformer only would let in what I gauge as a very thin section of hair. This is because I have so much hair (I amaze and intimidate hairdressers) so a "normal" section to me is a tiny section. Then sometimes if I just try to get a little bit thicker (not by much) then when pulling it through, it stops and my hair has gotten tangled so bad I've had to break multiple hooks to save my hair from being damaged (This happened when I was about midway through also!). NOT FOR THICK HEADS OF HAIR! It's time consuming, frustrating and a complete waste of time for me. Then on the only time I was successful, it took me about 2 hours to finish, forever to dry, then after I took them out, the curls looked very mechanical and unnatural.

Popular Hair Styling Tools