Filtered by eye Color : Brown

4.2

on 9/5/2014 11:49:00 PM

So I had a gift card for sally's beauty supply and splurged on a 30 pack of the pink and yellow curlformers. My hair is down to my mid back, and semi-thin. Pretty average caucasian female mousey brown hair. I've read tons of reviews complaining of tangles or that it's time consuming. Not everyone has the same kind of hair, and thick hair may be a pain especially if you don't have enough curlformers. 8 or 10 just won't cut it. I used about 22 of mine. It took me about 15 minutes to get them all in. I REALLY thought about what I was doing. I started with freshly washed hair... didn't shower just stuck my head over the tub because this is the first night and I'm just doing it to experiment and I don't have anything time pressing tomorrow. I towel dried until it was like 75% dry (again, not easy for everyone) then added my styling product and Brushed ALL the tangles out. I put them in from the Back of my head near my neck and worked forward. I figured that would be better than working over already applied curlformers, trying to push them out of the way to get to the hair at the back. It worked really well. I had to adjust some of them so they got the ends, so on most of my scalp there's about 2" of uncurled hair, but that's ok. I don't want to look like shirley temple. Or carrot top. Whichever one you're familiar with. lol We'll see what my hair looks like tomorrow, but I think it will turn out pretty nicely. My hair will definitely be dry, it was already mostly dry when I applied them. I think that's a major tip, don't put soaking wet hair in them. Even sock-bun curls come out better if you mostly dry your hair and then put in the sock bun which also gives great, soft curl but not the fall-time curls over my sweater look I was so desperate for.
Also, this will save me a TON of time in the morning when I have none to spare.
3 lipsticks for overall rating because the price was like 100 bucks. No way these things should be that expensive which is why I also chose "No" if I would replace these should I lose them or of they broke. It was a total fluke I could afford them in the first place, so no.
UPDATE:
Ok so I slept in them. It wasn't that bad, but note to self: husband may only want to sleep next to "medusa" twice a week at most. He's a cuddler and this sort of kills that lol. Ok so it wasn't that uncomfortable, but like I said I had about 2" on top of my head not in the curlformers so I just pushed them out of the way and layed down. They stayed put great even though my hair is pretty soft and "slippery" if that makes sense. Next day I woke up and took them out which took about 10 minutes. I pulled each one straight, squeezed open the mouth of the curl former at closest to my scalp and pulled them off so as not to promote pulling the curls out. Separated each curl as I went by pulling into 1/4'ths and twisting so I had a fuller, less "corkscrew" look. I finished with a few conservative blasts of my favourite flexible hairspray. Looked incredible right off the bat, amazing soft curls. The ends were curled right to the tip which I can never get with irons or curlers. Although it did look amazing, I removed them at 7:30am (I just woke up early not due to curlformers but because my daughter has a cough :( ..) and now it's 10:30am and I'd say the curls have fallen out without any real abuse, weather exposure or brushing about 65%. The very back of my head where my hair is the longest is falling out first because the hair is heaviest. The front is staying longer. If I had layers which I don't, I'm sure they'd stay longer but I just have pretty long, single-length hair. I always think about getting layers and then the stylist cuts my hair way too short so I haven't gotten them in forever as I love my long hair. I know how to cut my own hair without it looking like a chop job so I might just do that for the sake of more volume and bounce throughout fall anyway as I'm stomping around campus all day and it would be nice to have "aphrodite" hair. lol Tonight I'll try again with heat this time, and hairspray before I set my hair. I'll do the same thing as tonight, but hairspray each strand before I pull it through the curl former and then finish my entire head with about 15 minutes of the blow dryer and see if that helps. I read somewhere that hairspraying BEFORE you apply heat somehow changes the composition of the hairspray and helps the lasting power of curls which I definitely need! My hair has never been able to hold curl.
Happy Curlformer'ventures!

Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

First, I purchased these from eBay and I am positive I do not have the "real" curlformers as mine are slightly off color from the ones that you can purchase from either the website or Sally's. With that said....I LOVE THIS HAIR STYLER! They are amazing...I have long, African American, extremely frizzy/curly/wavy/thick hair that is really long (approx 16-18 inches, and it was previously longer before cutting). I use either the extra long and wide curlers (1 inch curl), the extra long curl formers (1/2 inch curl), or a combination of the two. I have tried them both air drying and under the drier and I have to say I prefer the drier. I do not like to sleep with huge things in my hair, and I also like to separate the curls and pin curl them. To apply them, I usually use a leave in conditioner or curl cream and a bit of light oil. Sometimes, I will use a bit of gel, but I prefer a softer curl, so I usually do not include gel. After applying them to my hair, I either go to sleep, or sit under the drier. For my hair porosity, length and thickness, it usually takes about 2 hours to be dry completely. With that said, I cant sit still so I probably get up a few times. If for some reason my hair is not all the way dry before I go to bed, I will throw a few flexirods in my hair that are the same size as the curl, and take those out in the morning. To maintain for the week, I usually pin curl before bed, or throw in a flexirod or two (I do this if the curls drop a significant amount, and I want to make the curl tighter, without using heat).

I do not like applying tons of heat to my hair, mostly because I like my hair "fluffy", and I do not want to damage my natural curl pattern. Curlformers are my go-to styling tool as of late, I usually apply them a 2-3 times a month on wash day, and I will continue to use them. When my hair was longer than the 22 inch curler, I would twist my hair from the root a few inches, and then put the curl former in my hair...this works just as well. Also, sometimes I will run a warm flat iron through the roots.

I'm not really sure where I stand with these Curlformers. If put in wet hair and then slept on overnight, you get amazing beautiful results. One of my issues with regular curlers or hot rollers is that they don't really curl at the roots. No one else seems to mind this but it looks silly to me when the hair is wavy or curly everywhere but the roots. This is not an issue with Curlformers, you look curly from top to bottom! So that's definitely a plus.

My problem is what they're made out of. They've been around a long time and I just have trouble believing that by now they couldn't have made them out of something better. These are so terribly uncomfortable (and painful) to sleep in. I usually wake up with a headache from them. They're also almost impossible to dry with a hairdryer. They do have little mesh like holes in them but it's just not enough, not enough air gets in. I feel like there just has to be something out there that would be softer and let in more air that these things could be made out of.

I'm always looking for easy ways to curl my hair. Irons and wands take too much time and never get close enough to the root for me. Hot rollers barely curl, they mostly wave and again, not close enough to the root. Regular magnetic or velcro rollers aren't the greatest for sleeping and take too much time to roll the hair up into. And scrunching products always end up being crunchy or weird. Curlformers are insanely fast to put into place and I really love that about them. But in the end I feel like all that time I save while putting them just goes down the drain with how insanely long it takes these things to dry.

on 10/11/2012 10:32:00 AM

I purchased a non-brand name equivalent and spent $22 (plus $2 shipping) on 40 extra wide/long curlers (on e b a y). My daughter has very long straight hair. I watch a few tutorials on youtube before trying them on my daughter.

They key is to use a small amount of hair for each curler. When I tried to use a bigger chunk the hair got tangled. When a small amount the hair slips through the curler very easily. Also, the hair should be wet and we used styling product (lightweight mousse) to hold the curl.

I used a total of 35 curlers on her long hair. Next time I'll make ever smaller sections and use all 40.

I alternated pink and orange to give the curls a more natural look. It probably took 20-25 minutes once I got the hang of how to use them. She threaded the wand for me as I separated the next section and gave the roots a little twist. We used no heat as she slept on them over night. She did not complain about them being uncomfortable to sleep on and she just turned 14 so she tends to complain about a lot!

It only took me about 7-8 minutes to remove all the curlers this morning. If the curls come out wonky simply twist the hair around your finger in the same direction the curler was in and it reforms into a perfect spiral.

We used a bit a hairp spray to hold the curls and she was off to school. We could have done a lot more styling (clips, barrettes, etc.) but she was thrilled with the bouncy spirals!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

As a 4c natural, I use these on wet hair to stretch it for easy styling. My hair fully dries in 6 hours. This is also a great way to air dry my hair for a smooth set before I flat iron. I find that I can't separate my curls or they fall or frizz up so I never wear a curl formers set. After applying my leave-in conditioner, I set with the Garnier smooth and sleek hair serum to get a smooth set. I also make sure my hair is very smooth by detangling with a wide tooth comb then with a finer tooth comb. If I don't use the fine tooth comb my set ends up tangled. I'm using a total of 32 extra wide and long. The price has doubled over the past five year so they are super expensive. Needs a larger hook for people with thick curly hair.

on 7/11/2011 1:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

This is my first review!

I purchased curlformers to help me transition from relaxed to natural hair. I have thick hair that looks about 3c. I really like this product. It took some getting used to and trial and error. But now it's a breeze.

Some issues I ran into...

-Hair tugging on the hook: I resolved this by working with at least damp hair. Even if it's just dampened with leave in conditioner or detangling spray. Also, it's important to section off the hair into 1 or 2 inch sections. Then twist the hair at the root. By twisting at the root the hook will grab on better and hair won't slide out of the hook as you slide the curlformer on.

-Uncomfortable to sleep in: I resolved this by keeping the curlformer about an inch AWAY from my roots. If you are at the root you will NOT be able to sleep at all. The roots never came out ugly, so I continue to keep the curlformer away from my roots. Finally, I put the formers in so that they don't touch my face. (I wear side bangs, so install the curlformer so that it lays to the side and not on your forehead. Part your hair before you start.)

-Frizzy Hair: This is more of a hair issue than a curlformer issue. The results always came out great! But then my hair would frizz up. I switched leave in conditioners and added some oil to my hair. Now my style stays :o) So it's important for your hair to be moisturized. You might also want to try a setting spray.

Now that I'm used to the curlformers it takes me about 30 minutes to put them in. The latest I've put them in was about 1:30am and by 7am they were dry. I do use a microfiber towel to get out some of the excess water if it's a shampoo day. So that probably helps with drying. I purchased the salon kit, which comes with 40 curlformers... but I didn't need that many. I probably used about 20 at the most. Also, I have the long and wide kit, that comes with 6 short and wide. My hair is about 3-4 inches shorter than shoulder length, so that makes the curlformers too long for me, but the shorter ones the kit came with are too short and only work on my bangs. Therefore, I think I will be able to get a lot of usage out of these before my hair gets too long.

I will keep using these. I haven't noticed any breakage or tension breakage either. And to me these are easier to sleep in than bantu knots.

I hope this helped :o)

on 3/7/2011 11:38:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Love these. I have naturally wavy hair that I have never been able to wet set. I have tried magnetic rollers and mesh rollers. I do not really know my hair type, but it is not course, and it is not overly wavy either. I have never been able to get close enough to the roots when I used the other methods to wet set my hair. At 8 dollars a pack(including shipping) I originally bought the magic leverag on ebay, which is the knock off of these. I bought two packs which comes with 18 rollers per pack. It had 9 short per pack and 9 long per pack. These were both to short for my hair, which is to the middle my back. They worked just like the curlformers and were worth it because out came with two hooks and used two of the curlers. But I did have enough, so I went and bought 3 packs of the extra long curlformers and was able to do my whole head. These are very easy in my opinion, but I did see how others were messing up so I made sure that did not happen to me. I would say if your hair is not long, go and get the.ebay version. you will save over 50 dollars. I did not. sleep in them, I sat under the dryer, so I can not really say if they are comfortable not. but besides that I love them.
Update:
I slept in these, and I have no clue what anyone is talking about. They are as uncomfortable as any hair rollers that you sleep in. It is okay though because I do not usually sleep in rollers. Still a great product

on 1/21/2011 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I have kinky neck length natural african american hair (type 4a/4b) and curlformers give my hair smooth and shiny curls. You would never think I was natural. I've used the long and narrow ones to stretch my hair the most since its short and it comes out great. The material is mesh so its breathable allowing your hair to dry faster than with normal rollers.However, these things are expensive. Its 10 dollars a pack with 10 rollers and I need atleast 3 packs. I've also read that after a certain length curlfomers can't hold all of your hair. Hopefully they create longer ones by the time I reach that point. They have a few years lol....

on 8/2/2010 10:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Iíve used Curlformers for about 5 months and though I really appreciate the tool, I have to say that it has to be something wrong with the long&narrow ones, mainly the green ones. So far Iíve lost 10 spirals!! Considering that the package brings only 8 of them, it means that I lost more than a package so far. No matter how carefully I deal with them when set my hair, these green ones are really weak. So, ladies, be carefull when buy them: avoid the long&narrow curlformers!!

As to the results: yes, it is time consuming (takes me 1:30-2 hours to set my whole head), it is not comfortable to sleep with them and it takes hours to dry (I have a lot of hair and to get great results, I have to apply on wet hair). Another negatve point: I have to use a lot (around
70) because I donīt like the roller set look. I rather the spiral look and to get it, it is needed to use many spirals.

On the other hand, it makes my 4 type hair into a 3c (long and wide curls). I love it!!! The first day, the look is not very natural (it looks like as if I had used the curly iron), but as time goes by, it gets better and better. I can use my hair for 3-4 days down, with part of it getting frizzy (not too much to bother me).

How I use: I wash my hair, apply Deva One condition (not matter if it is curl or care), then melted shea butter or a mix of shea butter and put in the spirals. I do use the Deva sun for at least 1 hour with hot and cold air and go overnight with the spirals. The next morning, I take them out, put some oil on my hands and split the curls.

I tried to use 2 spirals (bought the short ones) and didn't like the result, it was also extra job.

I'll definitely buy more of them: the extra long ones!

on 5/3/2010 12:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I saw this demonstrated on YouTube and all the reviews had great results so I bought it. I've only used this a couple times so maybe I just need to get more practice but so far I do not like it. It's way too time consuming and doesn't look good. I have medium to thick wavy hair and I bought the long and extra wide because I thought I could grab a thick section of hair each time but the more hair you try to pull through the more it gets stuck. I had to only pull through a thin strand of hair and I only bought 2 packs thinking I can only use 8 but now I need an extra pack and I'm not sure if it's worth it. Each time I've used it I keep getting an annoying dent on the top part of my hair where the curlformer starts. And there's times where not all the hair pulls through all the way but you can't tell until you take off the curlformers and your hair dries in certain areas in a tangled mess. The reviewers made it look so effortless on YouTube that I'm surprised it's not. I'm more of a wash and go girl, leaving my hair wavy most days and straighten for special occasions. I don't have time to sit there and wait for my hair to dry in these curlformers and sleeping with these on is not comfortable.

Popular Hair Styling Tools