Filtered by hair type : Straight

4.5

on 1/23/2015 9:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I waited until my birthday month in order to use my b-day coupon on the Curlformers. (I got the jumbo pack with 30 formers and 2 hook-pink and orange) I have fine hair that about mid waist length. Overall it's difficult for my hair to hold a curl without TONS of hairspray.

I find there is a learning curve. Especially if you have tangle prone hair.
1. Apply to damp hair-not wet hair.
2. Make sure the hook is facing up, not down toward scalp.
3. If tangles happen, due a smaller/thinner section.

I prep hair with leave in WEN and dollop of mouse. Then apply the curl formers.
I can sleep in these "curlformer" but it's a little lumpy. Great curls the next morning. I just spritz some sea spray and scrunch, then set with hair spray. These curls last much longer then when I use hot rollers or irons to do my curls.

I personally would prefer a wand like a "topsy tail" rather than this hook to help prevent tangles.

Love these!

I applied these to damp hair and left until my hair dried naturally. When I removed them my hair was WOW. Volume added and curled! I brushed out the curls as I prefer a more wavy look but next time I will use thicker sections of hair to get that wavy look! Curls are tight and look great.

Add some Moroccan oil in damp hair and again once they have been removed with a touch of hair spray and you are good to go!

on 7/25/2011 12:09:00 PM

I have very long hair and a lot of it. That said, this became a somewhat expensive venture for me because I ended up purchasing 7 bags of the wide/extra long curlers which totaled almost $100.00. I ultimately believe the price will be worth it because it takes forever for me to dry and curl my hair the 'normal' way. The curlformers take almost an hour to put in and probably another hour or so to dry on me.

It definately takes quite a few tries to get used to using these. Especially with long hair, I found that the wrong angle, wrong direction of the 'hook' and too large of hair sections made for a tangly mess. I ended up making 1/2 inch sections of hair per curler to avoid the tangliness.

The end result is beautiful ringlets that soften out to a noticeable waviness on me. Great for adding volume to my very straight hair.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I was intrigued with the concept of these, so I went to Sally's to check them out. It cost me $50 with my discount for the hook and 26 curlformers. For that price they should be magical and life changing, and they really aren't. I have thin/fine/straight hair that doesn't have any curl, and doesn't hold a curl. The first time I tried these I pulled the curlformer too close to my scalp, and they left these flattened patches where the base of the curlformer was. It looked awful. The second time I placed them about 1/2" away from my scalp for better results. But I wasn't impressed with them enough to spend that kind of money on them. There's absolutely NO way I would ever sleep in them, because they are stiff and hard, so I can only use them when I'm home all day. The markup on these things are absurd. They really seemed like they should be in the dollar store alongside of the foam rollers that work just as well.
I was looking on eBay, and they sell something similar from China called "Magic Leverag". Where they came up with that name, I have no idea. For around $7.00 (INCLUDING shipping) you get a hook and 18 curlformers or leverags!!! I compared the two before I returned my curlformers, and the curlformer hook is a lot better, so I kept that. The actual rollers are a bit shorter than the curlformer counterparts. They definitely won't work for long hair. I have shoulder length hair and they fit great and there's a good 3-4" of hair space left. PM me if you want more details about these magic leverags!
UPDATE: I've had much better success with these things lately for two reasons: (1) Even though I have very thin hair, I been sectioning my hair into much smaller curl pieces. I used to use about 20 curlformers for my whole head (about 1 inch pieces of hair) and now I use 40 (1/2 inch pieces). This seems to make the curl a lot nicer and they dry much faster. (2) Because my hair is so flat, I found that twisting my hair for the hook seemed to leave flat patches. If I have to I'll twist my hair for the hook to fit, I'll only twist it once. Once the curlformer is properly positioned, I'll twist the hair back so it falls straight. This, combined with teasing my hair afterward seems to help. If you have thick/frizzy/curly hair disregard this last step, because you'll probably love how curlformers can flatten your hair.

Popular Hair Styling Tools