Filtered by hair type : Other

3.6

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

As a 4c natural, I use these on wet hair to stretch it for easy styling. My hair fully dries in 6 hours. This is also a great way to air dry my hair for a smooth set before I flat iron. I find that I can't separate my curls or they fall or frizz up so I never wear a curl formers set. After applying my leave-in conditioner, I set with the Garnier smooth and sleek hair serum to get a smooth set. I also make sure my hair is very smooth by detangling with a wide tooth comb then with a finer tooth comb. If I don't use the fine tooth comb my set ends up tangled. I'm using a total of 32 extra wide and long. The price has doubled over the past five year so they are super expensive. Needs a larger hook for people with thick curly hair.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Once you get the hang of using these things (it took me three tries on separate days) they are seriously awesome - even if you're a curly haired girl like me. I have thick yet fine, naturally curly 3A type hair for reference.
Sometimes I have amazing hair days naturally...and sometimes my hair comes out flat with stringy limp curls. It's really frustrating - especially when I have a special event I'm getting ready for. I am now able to use my Curlformers to mold my curls into perfection (without heat) every time I use them.
It's incredibly liberating and has taken away the stress around prepping my curls. I get big loopy curls with body and zero frizz. Depending on how close I put them in to my scalp I can go from Shirley Temple curls to something a bit more wearable if I leave about a 2 inch gap at my scalp.
I have the "Long and Extra Wide" styling kit which is awesome for loose beachy type waves and I also have the "Long and Wide" kit which gives me more curl (the company's website calls them typical curls for shoulder length hair)
I was so pleased with them I did a favorable in depth review with lots of pictures over on my blog: http://wp.me/pHXFO-cc
The only reason I gave Curlformers 4/5 is because of the price - they're not cheap! If they were more affordable I'd buy more - specifically a short set since I cut my hair shorter for the warm weather.

on 3/7/2011 11:38:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Love these. I have naturally wavy hair that I have never been able to wet set. I have tried magnetic rollers and mesh rollers. I do not really know my hair type, but it is not course, and it is not overly wavy either. I have never been able to get close enough to the roots when I used the other methods to wet set my hair. At 8 dollars a pack(including shipping) I originally bought the magic leverag on ebay, which is the knock off of these. I bought two packs which comes with 18 rollers per pack. It had 9 short per pack and 9 long per pack. These were both to short for my hair, which is to the middle my back. They worked just like the curlformers and were worth it because out came with two hooks and used two of the curlers. But I did have enough, so I went and bought 3 packs of the extra long curlformers and was able to do my whole head. These are very easy in my opinion, but I did see how others were messing up so I made sure that did not happen to me. I would say if your hair is not long, go and get the.ebay version. you will save over 50 dollars. I did not. sleep in them, I sat under the dryer, so I can not really say if they are comfortable not. but besides that I love them.
Update:
I slept in these, and I have no clue what anyone is talking about. They are as uncomfortable as any hair rollers that you sleep in. It is okay though because I do not usually sleep in rollers. Still a great product

on 6/11/2010 8:13:00 PM

I have tried these out multiple times, I've watched youtube videos and whatever I can find to help me out. Overtime I learned how to use them but I find that they are just too time consuming for my head of hair. I'm much faster with a iron and with the styling products and technology nowadays, I don't have to worry about frying my hair.

Why I hated them: The curlformer only would let in what I gauge as a very thin section of hair. This is because I have so much hair (I amaze and intimidate hairdressers) so a "normal" section to me is a tiny section. Then sometimes if I just try to get a little bit thicker (not by much) then when pulling it through, it stops and my hair has gotten tangled so bad I've had to break multiple hooks to save my hair from being damaged (This happened when I was about midway through also!). NOT FOR THICK HEADS OF HAIR! It's time consuming, frustrating and a complete waste of time for me. Then on the only time I was successful, it took me about 2 hours to finish, forever to dry, then after I took them out, the curls looked very mechanical and unnatural.

I wasn't very impressed with the final product overall. The concept is good, though. My hair has a good bit of natural curl to begin with, and I don't know if I just left these in too long or what - but I ended up with MEGA curls (think Sandy in the final scene of "Grease", but worse). On a positive note - they were relatively easy to put in - and stayed in place well. I'm glad so many people have had a positive experience with this product - just not for me!

Popular Hair Styling Tools