Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium

4.1

I really like these! such a simple, great product! I have med length thin hair and 16 curlformers were enough for my hair. I dont understand how people sleep in them though!

Love these!

I applied these to damp hair and left until my hair dried naturally. When I removed them my hair was WOW. Volume added and curled! I brushed out the curls as I prefer a more wavy look but next time I will use thicker sections of hair to get that wavy look! Curls are tight and look great.

Add some Moroccan oil in damp hair and again once they have been removed with a touch of hair spray and you are good to go!

I'm not really sure where I stand with these Curlformers. If put in wet hair and then slept on overnight, you get amazing beautiful results. One of my issues with regular curlers or hot rollers is that they don't really curl at the roots. No one else seems to mind this but it looks silly to me when the hair is wavy or curly everywhere but the roots. This is not an issue with Curlformers, you look curly from top to bottom! So that's definitely a plus.

My problem is what they're made out of. They've been around a long time and I just have trouble believing that by now they couldn't have made them out of something better. These are so terribly uncomfortable (and painful) to sleep in. I usually wake up with a headache from them. They're also almost impossible to dry with a hairdryer. They do have little mesh like holes in them but it's just not enough, not enough air gets in. I feel like there just has to be something out there that would be softer and let in more air that these things could be made out of.

I'm always looking for easy ways to curl my hair. Irons and wands take too much time and never get close enough to the root for me. Hot rollers barely curl, they mostly wave and again, not close enough to the root. Regular magnetic or velcro rollers aren't the greatest for sleeping and take too much time to roll the hair up into. And scrunching products always end up being crunchy or weird. Curlformers are insanely fast to put into place and I really love that about them. But in the end I feel like all that time I save while putting them just goes down the drain with how insanely long it takes these things to dry.

on 10/11/2012 10:32:00 AM

I purchased a non-brand name equivalent and spent $22 (plus $2 shipping) on 40 extra wide/long curlers (on e b a y). My daughter has very long straight hair. I watch a few tutorials on youtube before trying them on my daughter.

They key is to use a small amount of hair for each curler. When I tried to use a bigger chunk the hair got tangled. When a small amount the hair slips through the curler very easily. Also, the hair should be wet and we used styling product (lightweight mousse) to hold the curl.

I used a total of 35 curlers on her long hair. Next time I'll make ever smaller sections and use all 40.

I alternated pink and orange to give the curls a more natural look. It probably took 20-25 minutes once I got the hang of how to use them. She threaded the wand for me as I separated the next section and gave the roots a little twist. We used no heat as she slept on them over night. She did not complain about them being uncomfortable to sleep on and she just turned 14 so she tends to complain about a lot!

It only took me about 7-8 minutes to remove all the curlers this morning. If the curls come out wonky simply twist the hair around your finger in the same direction the curler was in and it reforms into a perfect spiral.

We used a bit a hairp spray to hold the curls and she was off to school. We could have done a lot more styling (clips, barrettes, etc.) but she was thrilled with the bouncy spirals!

My hair is layered with the longest layers around collarbone length. It's probably a 2A. I am horrible with foam or magnetic rollers and normally end up pulling out a lot of hair or getting funky curls where I didn't section properly or the holder made indentions. Hot rollers make me sweat, so I can't do my makeup while they set. I also have crappy upper arm strength so I tend to get tired before I am done using rollers or a curling iron.

Over the weekend, I washed my hair and patted it with a towel just enough so that it wasn't dripping. Then I applied some setting lotion. Don't know if this did any good or not - it was my first time using such a product. I might try a curl creme next time. I divided my hair into three sections, top, middle, and bottom. Started at the bottom and just used my fingers to create the sections. I did make sure to use one color on one side and the other color on the other side so that the curls would go the right direction. I worked my way upwards. I ended up using 25 of the curlformers. It took me around 20 - 30 minutes. I didn't use a mirror for most of it - just did it by hand while watching tv. Occasionally I used a hand mirror to check things. I only had one that pulled any hair and that was my fault.

I ended up leaving them in about 4 hours. I was going to take them out after 2 (my hair dries fast), but decided to see if I could take a nap in them. Took a while to find the proper pillow and position, but once I did, they were fine to sleep in.

Removing them was simple. Lots of nice ringlets. I ended up fingercombing through the length and using a comb on the front so that I could put on a headband. Flipped my head over and used a bit of hair spray. Curls lasted all evening, but weren't much the next day. I don't use much product and my hair doesn't hold a curl worth a flip, so this was expected.

Overall I was very pleased and believe they were worth the cost. (I got the salon kit when I had a 20% off coupon.) I can't wait until my hair gets a bit longer (or at least some of the layers grow out a bit) as I think it will work even better!

on 6/22/2010 11:22:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've only used these a few times and I love them! I agree, they are probably not best for people with a lot of hair - they'd just take too long to put in. I used about 18 for my entire head of hair - I have a lot of very fine shoulder length hair and the long wide worked well. They take about 10-15 minutes to put in after I got through the learning curve. I started with dry hair and just spritzed it lightly and kept them in for 1 hour while I got ready for work. I know they would work better if I used them right after a shower, but I like to wash my hair every other day and blow it straight on day one and use curlers on day two. When I take them out I have soft, silky, natural looking spiral curls. With a few sprays of hairspray, they stay in pretty well all day. These create the most even and consistent curl of any heat free product I've tried. Love them!

on 5/3/2010 12:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I saw this demonstrated on YouTube and all the reviews had great results so I bought it. I've only used this a couple times so maybe I just need to get more practice but so far I do not like it. It's way too time consuming and doesn't look good. I have medium to thick wavy hair and I bought the long and extra wide because I thought I could grab a thick section of hair each time but the more hair you try to pull through the more it gets stuck. I had to only pull through a thin strand of hair and I only bought 2 packs thinking I can only use 8 but now I need an extra pack and I'm not sure if it's worth it. Each time I've used it I keep getting an annoying dent on the top part of my hair where the curlformer starts. And there's times where not all the hair pulls through all the way but you can't tell until you take off the curlformers and your hair dries in certain areas in a tangled mess. The reviewers made it look so effortless on YouTube that I'm surprised it's not. I'm more of a wash and go girl, leaving my hair wavy most days and straighten for special occasions. I don't have time to sit there and wait for my hair to dry in these curlformers and sleeping with these on is not comfortable.

I wasn't very impressed with the final product overall. The concept is good, though. My hair has a good bit of natural curl to begin with, and I don't know if I just left these in too long or what - but I ended up with MEGA curls (think Sandy in the final scene of "Grease", but worse). On a positive note - they were relatively easy to put in - and stayed in place well. I'm glad so many people have had a positive experience with this product - just not for me!

Popular Hair Styling Tools