Filtered by skin type : Sensitive

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I ran across mention of Curlformers online in the spring of 2009. I did not purchase immediately, due to the price. After giving it some thought and viewing a few tutorials online for using them, I decided to make the investment. I have used them off on on since then.

I do not use them daily or even weekly, due to a personal hectic schedule. It takes me 20-30 minutes to set my hair with Curlformers now. When I began, it probably took an hour at times. With practice, it is much smoother and easier. It is critical to gently twist the hair before you try to pull it through the curler. If I don't twist the piece of hair first, then the hair can become snagged and caught inside the curler, before I can pull it through.

As I stated before, I do not use them daily or even weekly, but the results are so beautiful and long-lasting, that I use them whenever I feel like having beautiful natural-looking spiral curls.

I have medium-thick, fine slightly wavy hair with end curls, 1c/2a type. For my hair, I always set it wet when I use my curlformers. This is unlike my process when using sponge or velcro or other rollers, which do better on slightly damp hair. In fact, if my hair is just slightly damp, I will use a spray bottle of water or setting lotion to re-wet the section before pulling it through. It give a much better result that lasts better.

I discovered that I do not want to place the curlformer too close to the scalp. It can pull on my fine hair and result in breakage. If I get it too close to the scalp, I immediately hold it as though I am going to remove it, and just gently tug it away from the scalp to loosen things a little. This is also more comfortable.

Some people like to line their curlers up going the same direction. They will use the same color curler on one side of their head. This gives a pretty result, but I prefer to mix them up and alternate or use no pattern, I think the result looks more natural. I have received so many compliments about my hair when I do this.

You do not have to worry about your hair not drying with curlformers, since they are a mesh, spiral tube. They allow for better air circulation and hair drying.

Although my hair is fine, I have a lot of it, so I usually set my hair and sleep in them. I have a tender head and cannot do this with all rollers; these are amazingly comfortable. Remember, do not put them too close to the scalp, or it can be uncomfortable. I just rearrange the curformers if they seem in the way. I have always had great results.

I have once set them for a party after a morning shampoo and sat under a bonnet dryer. I prefer to avoid heat styling when possible, but this did work nicely.

When dry or in the morning, I carefully remove the curlers. To do this, I straighten out the curler and gently pull it off the curl. After removing the curler, I like to separate it into smaller curls to increase the volume (always a concern for fine-haired women!). As you pull a piece apart, you twirl it around your finger. Be careful, the curls will need to be twirled one direction, depending on the color of the curler.

I start at the nape and remove the curlers and separate the curls as needed. I usually give these curls a light spritz of hair spray before moving up and removing the next row of curlers. Then, I remove the curlers around my head at ear level. As I separate them, I wait to use hairspray until the ear level ones are all removed, then a light spritz. Finally, I remove the curlers on the crown and around the face. Again, no hairspray until all are removed. This allows me to arrange the curls in the way I wish or to pull some curls back in a clip, barrette or bobby pin, if I wish. Then I spray to set the curls.

Some people brush the curls when they remove the curlers, This gives a soft pretty effect, but not the same defined curls. I prefer to not brush, a keep the natural curly look. I wish these were available when I was a child or teenager!

on 6/22/2010 11:22:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've only used these a few times and I love them! I agree, they are probably not best for people with a lot of hair - they'd just take too long to put in. I used about 18 for my entire head of hair - I have a lot of very fine shoulder length hair and the long wide worked well. They take about 10-15 minutes to put in after I got through the learning curve. I started with dry hair and just spritzed it lightly and kept them in for 1 hour while I got ready for work. I know they would work better if I used them right after a shower, but I like to wash my hair every other day and blow it straight on day one and use curlers on day two. When I take them out I have soft, silky, natural looking spiral curls. With a few sprays of hairspray, they stay in pretty well all day. These create the most even and consistent curl of any heat free product I've tried. Love them!

Popular Hair Styling Tools