Filtered by skin type : Combination

4.2

on 9/5/2014 11:49:00 PM

So I had a gift card for sally's beauty supply and splurged on a 30 pack of the pink and yellow curlformers. My hair is down to my mid back, and semi-thin. Pretty average caucasian female mousey brown hair. I've read tons of reviews complaining of tangles or that it's time consuming. Not everyone has the same kind of hair, and thick hair may be a pain especially if you don't have enough curlformers. 8 or 10 just won't cut it. I used about 22 of mine. It took me about 15 minutes to get them all in. I REALLY thought about what I was doing. I started with freshly washed hair... didn't shower just stuck my head over the tub because this is the first night and I'm just doing it to experiment and I don't have anything time pressing tomorrow. I towel dried until it was like 75% dry (again, not easy for everyone) then added my styling product and Brushed ALL the tangles out. I put them in from the Back of my head near my neck and worked forward. I figured that would be better than working over already applied curlformers, trying to push them out of the way to get to the hair at the back. It worked really well. I had to adjust some of them so they got the ends, so on most of my scalp there's about 2" of uncurled hair, but that's ok. I don't want to look like shirley temple. Or carrot top. Whichever one you're familiar with. lol We'll see what my hair looks like tomorrow, but I think it will turn out pretty nicely. My hair will definitely be dry, it was already mostly dry when I applied them. I think that's a major tip, don't put soaking wet hair in them. Even sock-bun curls come out better if you mostly dry your hair and then put in the sock bun which also gives great, soft curl but not the fall-time curls over my sweater look I was so desperate for.
Also, this will save me a TON of time in the morning when I have none to spare.
3 lipsticks for overall rating because the price was like 100 bucks. No way these things should be that expensive which is why I also chose "No" if I would replace these should I lose them or of they broke. It was a total fluke I could afford them in the first place, so no.
UPDATE:
Ok so I slept in them. It wasn't that bad, but note to self: husband may only want to sleep next to "medusa" twice a week at most. He's a cuddler and this sort of kills that lol. Ok so it wasn't that uncomfortable, but like I said I had about 2" on top of my head not in the curlformers so I just pushed them out of the way and layed down. They stayed put great even though my hair is pretty soft and "slippery" if that makes sense. Next day I woke up and took them out which took about 10 minutes. I pulled each one straight, squeezed open the mouth of the curl former at closest to my scalp and pulled them off so as not to promote pulling the curls out. Separated each curl as I went by pulling into 1/4'ths and twisting so I had a fuller, less "corkscrew" look. I finished with a few conservative blasts of my favourite flexible hairspray. Looked incredible right off the bat, amazing soft curls. The ends were curled right to the tip which I can never get with irons or curlers. Although it did look amazing, I removed them at 7:30am (I just woke up early not due to curlformers but because my daughter has a cough :( ..) and now it's 10:30am and I'd say the curls have fallen out without any real abuse, weather exposure or brushing about 65%. The very back of my head where my hair is the longest is falling out first because the hair is heaviest. The front is staying longer. If I had layers which I don't, I'm sure they'd stay longer but I just have pretty long, single-length hair. I always think about getting layers and then the stylist cuts my hair way too short so I haven't gotten them in forever as I love my long hair. I know how to cut my own hair without it looking like a chop job so I might just do that for the sake of more volume and bounce throughout fall anyway as I'm stomping around campus all day and it would be nice to have "aphrodite" hair. lol Tonight I'll try again with heat this time, and hairspray before I set my hair. I'll do the same thing as tonight, but hairspray each strand before I pull it through the curl former and then finish my entire head with about 15 minutes of the blow dryer and see if that helps. I read somewhere that hairspraying BEFORE you apply heat somehow changes the composition of the hairspray and helps the lasting power of curls which I definitely need! My hair has never been able to hold curl.
Happy Curlformer'ventures!

I really like these! such a simple, great product! I have med length thin hair and 16 curlformers were enough for my hair. I dont understand how people sleep in them though!

Love these!

I applied these to damp hair and left until my hair dried naturally. When I removed them my hair was WOW. Volume added and curled! I brushed out the curls as I prefer a more wavy look but next time I will use thicker sections of hair to get that wavy look! Curls are tight and look great.

Add some Moroccan oil in damp hair and again once they have been removed with a touch of hair spray and you are good to go!

on 10/11/2012 10:32:00 AM

I purchased a non-brand name equivalent and spent $22 (plus $2 shipping) on 40 extra wide/long curlers (on e b a y). My daughter has very long straight hair. I watch a few tutorials on youtube before trying them on my daughter.

They key is to use a small amount of hair for each curler. When I tried to use a bigger chunk the hair got tangled. When a small amount the hair slips through the curler very easily. Also, the hair should be wet and we used styling product (lightweight mousse) to hold the curl.

I used a total of 35 curlers on her long hair. Next time I'll make ever smaller sections and use all 40.

I alternated pink and orange to give the curls a more natural look. It probably took 20-25 minutes once I got the hang of how to use them. She threaded the wand for me as I separated the next section and gave the roots a little twist. We used no heat as she slept on them over night. She did not complain about them being uncomfortable to sleep on and she just turned 14 so she tends to complain about a lot!

It only took me about 7-8 minutes to remove all the curlers this morning. If the curls come out wonky simply twist the hair around your finger in the same direction the curler was in and it reforms into a perfect spiral.

We used a bit a hairp spray to hold the curls and she was off to school. We could have done a lot more styling (clips, barrettes, etc.) but she was thrilled with the bouncy spirals!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

As a 4c natural, I use these on wet hair to stretch it for easy styling. My hair fully dries in 6 hours. This is also a great way to air dry my hair for a smooth set before I flat iron. I find that I can't separate my curls or they fall or frizz up so I never wear a curl formers set. After applying my leave-in conditioner, I set with the Garnier smooth and sleek hair serum to get a smooth set. I also make sure my hair is very smooth by detangling with a wide tooth comb then with a finer tooth comb. If I don't use the fine tooth comb my set ends up tangled. I'm using a total of 32 extra wide and long. The price has doubled over the past five year so they are super expensive. Needs a larger hook for people with thick curly hair.

on 7/25/2011 12:09:00 PM

I have very long hair and a lot of it. That said, this became a somewhat expensive venture for me because I ended up purchasing 7 bags of the wide/extra long curlers which totaled almost $100.00. I ultimately believe the price will be worth it because it takes forever for me to dry and curl my hair the 'normal' way. The curlformers take almost an hour to put in and probably another hour or so to dry on me.

It definately takes quite a few tries to get used to using these. Especially with long hair, I found that the wrong angle, wrong direction of the 'hook' and too large of hair sections made for a tangly mess. I ended up making 1/2 inch sections of hair per curler to avoid the tangliness.

The end result is beautiful ringlets that soften out to a noticeable waviness on me. Great for adding volume to my very straight hair.

on 3/7/2011 11:38:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Love these. I have naturally wavy hair that I have never been able to wet set. I have tried magnetic rollers and mesh rollers. I do not really know my hair type, but it is not course, and it is not overly wavy either. I have never been able to get close enough to the roots when I used the other methods to wet set my hair. At 8 dollars a pack(including shipping) I originally bought the magic leverag on ebay, which is the knock off of these. I bought two packs which comes with 18 rollers per pack. It had 9 short per pack and 9 long per pack. These were both to short for my hair, which is to the middle my back. They worked just like the curlformers and were worth it because out came with two hooks and used two of the curlers. But I did have enough, so I went and bought 3 packs of the extra long curlformers and was able to do my whole head. These are very easy in my opinion, but I did see how others were messing up so I made sure that did not happen to me. I would say if your hair is not long, go and get the.ebay version. you will save over 50 dollars. I did not. sleep in them, I sat under the dryer, so I can not really say if they are comfortable not. but besides that I love them.
Update:
I slept in these, and I have no clue what anyone is talking about. They are as uncomfortable as any hair rollers that you sleep in. It is okay though because I do not usually sleep in rollers. Still a great product

My hair is layered with the longest layers around collarbone length. It's probably a 2A. I am horrible with foam or magnetic rollers and normally end up pulling out a lot of hair or getting funky curls where I didn't section properly or the holder made indentions. Hot rollers make me sweat, so I can't do my makeup while they set. I also have crappy upper arm strength so I tend to get tired before I am done using rollers or a curling iron.

Over the weekend, I washed my hair and patted it with a towel just enough so that it wasn't dripping. Then I applied some setting lotion. Don't know if this did any good or not - it was my first time using such a product. I might try a curl creme next time. I divided my hair into three sections, top, middle, and bottom. Started at the bottom and just used my fingers to create the sections. I did make sure to use one color on one side and the other color on the other side so that the curls would go the right direction. I worked my way upwards. I ended up using 25 of the curlformers. It took me around 20 - 30 minutes. I didn't use a mirror for most of it - just did it by hand while watching tv. Occasionally I used a hand mirror to check things. I only had one that pulled any hair and that was my fault.

I ended up leaving them in about 4 hours. I was going to take them out after 2 (my hair dries fast), but decided to see if I could take a nap in them. Took a while to find the proper pillow and position, but once I did, they were fine to sleep in.

Removing them was simple. Lots of nice ringlets. I ended up fingercombing through the length and using a comb on the front so that I could put on a headband. Flipped my head over and used a bit of hair spray. Curls lasted all evening, but weren't much the next day. I don't use much product and my hair doesn't hold a curl worth a flip, so this was expected.

Overall I was very pleased and believe they were worth the cost. (I got the salon kit when I had a 20% off coupon.) I can't wait until my hair gets a bit longer (or at least some of the layers grow out a bit) as I think it will work even better!

on 6/11/2010 8:13:00 PM

I have tried these out multiple times, I've watched youtube videos and whatever I can find to help me out. Overtime I learned how to use them but I find that they are just too time consuming for my head of hair. I'm much faster with a iron and with the styling products and technology nowadays, I don't have to worry about frying my hair.

Why I hated them: The curlformer only would let in what I gauge as a very thin section of hair. This is because I have so much hair (I amaze and intimidate hairdressers) so a "normal" section to me is a tiny section. Then sometimes if I just try to get a little bit thicker (not by much) then when pulling it through, it stops and my hair has gotten tangled so bad I've had to break multiple hooks to save my hair from being damaged (This happened when I was about midway through also!). NOT FOR THICK HEADS OF HAIR! It's time consuming, frustrating and a complete waste of time for me. Then on the only time I was successful, it took me about 2 hours to finish, forever to dry, then after I took them out, the curls looked very mechanical and unnatural.

on 1/30/2010 4:03:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I love Curlformers! I have long, thick, naturally curly 3c hair. Curlformers are one of the easiest ways for me to set my hair and get gorgeous thick waves instead of the tighter curls I naturally have. Curflormers basically smooth my hair out and give it body. How I use them:

First I wash my hair and deep condition under my heat cap. After rinsing I use 1/2 to 1 tube of Roux Fermodyl 619. Then I work a small amount of leave in conditioner like Kinky Curly Knot Today throughout my whole head. I section my hair off and use Jane Carter Wrap and Roll on each section before using the curlformer. The amazing thing about curlformers is that they are easy to use and really don't take that long. I can do my whole head in an hour (faster than a flexi-rod or reg rollerset)- which is amazing b/c I have a whole lotta hair.

I let my curlformer set airdry so it takes about 3-4 hours. Curlformers give me smooth, large spirals that I seperate with my fingers and style with shea or mango butter. To maintain my style I use loosely twisted solar rollers at night and a satin scarf.

Curlformers are worth the money and effort! You can get beautiful curls without heat and hair damage. Curlformers work on almost all types of hair- check out youtube for tutorials.

Popular Hair Styling Tools