Filtered by skin type : Normal

3.5

I'm not really sure where I stand with these Curlformers. If put in wet hair and then slept on overnight, you get amazing beautiful results. One of my issues with regular curlers or hot rollers is that they don't really curl at the roots. No one else seems to mind this but it looks silly to me when the hair is wavy or curly everywhere but the roots. This is not an issue with Curlformers, you look curly from top to bottom! So that's definitely a plus.

My problem is what they're made out of. They've been around a long time and I just have trouble believing that by now they couldn't have made them out of something better. These are so terribly uncomfortable (and painful) to sleep in. I usually wake up with a headache from them. They're also almost impossible to dry with a hairdryer. They do have little mesh like holes in them but it's just not enough, not enough air gets in. I feel like there just has to be something out there that would be softer and let in more air that these things could be made out of.

I'm always looking for easy ways to curl my hair. Irons and wands take too much time and never get close enough to the root for me. Hot rollers barely curl, they mostly wave and again, not close enough to the root. Regular magnetic or velcro rollers aren't the greatest for sleeping and take too much time to roll the hair up into. And scrunching products always end up being crunchy or weird. Curlformers are insanely fast to put into place and I really love that about them. But in the end I feel like all that time I save while putting them just goes down the drain with how insanely long it takes these things to dry.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Once you get the hang of using these things (it took me three tries on separate days) they are seriously awesome - even if you're a curly haired girl like me. I have thick yet fine, naturally curly 3A type hair for reference.
Sometimes I have amazing hair days naturally...and sometimes my hair comes out flat with stringy limp curls. It's really frustrating - especially when I have a special event I'm getting ready for. I am now able to use my Curlformers to mold my curls into perfection (without heat) every time I use them.
It's incredibly liberating and has taken away the stress around prepping my curls. I get big loopy curls with body and zero frizz. Depending on how close I put them in to my scalp I can go from Shirley Temple curls to something a bit more wearable if I leave about a 2 inch gap at my scalp.
I have the "Long and Extra Wide" styling kit which is awesome for loose beachy type waves and I also have the "Long and Wide" kit which gives me more curl (the company's website calls them typical curls for shoulder length hair)
I was so pleased with them I did a favorable in depth review with lots of pictures over on my blog: http://wp.me/pHXFO-cc
The only reason I gave Curlformers 4/5 is because of the price - they're not cheap! If they were more affordable I'd buy more - specifically a short set since I cut my hair shorter for the warm weather.

Popular Hair Styling Tools