4.4

on 6/11/2010 8:13:00 PM

I have tried these out multiple times, I've watched youtube videos and whatever I can find to help me out. Overtime I learned how to use them but I find that they are just too time consuming for my head of hair. I'm much faster with a iron and with the styling products and technology nowadays, I don't have to worry about frying my hair.

Why I hated them: The curlformer only would let in what I gauge as a very thin section of hair. This is because I have so much hair (I amaze and intimidate hairdressers) so a "normal" section to me is a tiny section. Then sometimes if I just try to get a little bit thicker (not by much) then when pulling it through, it stops and my hair has gotten tangled so bad I've had to break multiple hooks to save my hair from being damaged (This happened when I was about midway through also!). NOT FOR THICK HEADS OF HAIR! It's time consuming, frustrating and a complete waste of time for me. Then on the only time I was successful, it took me about 2 hours to finish, forever to dry, then after I took them out, the curls looked very mechanical and unnatural.

on 5/3/2010 12:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I saw this demonstrated on YouTube and all the reviews had great results so I bought it. I've only used this a couple times so maybe I just need to get more practice but so far I do not like it. It's way too time consuming and doesn't look good. I have medium to thick wavy hair and I bought the long and extra wide because I thought I could grab a thick section of hair each time but the more hair you try to pull through the more it gets stuck. I had to only pull through a thin strand of hair and I only bought 2 packs thinking I can only use 8 but now I need an extra pack and I'm not sure if it's worth it. Each time I've used it I keep getting an annoying dent on the top part of my hair where the curlformer starts. And there's times where not all the hair pulls through all the way but you can't tell until you take off the curlformers and your hair dries in certain areas in a tangled mess. The reviewers made it look so effortless on YouTube that I'm surprised it's not. I'm more of a wash and go girl, leaving my hair wavy most days and straighten for special occasions. I don't have time to sit there and wait for my hair to dry in these curlformers and sleeping with these on is not comfortable.

on 9/5/2014 11:49:00 PM

So I had a gift card for sally's beauty supply and splurged on a 30 pack of the pink and yellow curlformers. My hair is down to my mid back, and semi-thin. Pretty average caucasian female mousey brown hair. I've read tons of reviews complaining of tangles or that it's time consuming. Not everyone has the same kind of hair, and thick hair may be a pain especially if you don't have enough curlformers. 8 or 10 just won't cut it. I used about 22 of mine. It took me about 15 minutes to get them all in. I REALLY thought about what I was doing. I started with freshly washed hair... didn't shower just stuck my head over the tub because this is the first night and I'm just doing it to experiment and I don't have anything time pressing tomorrow. I towel dried until it was like 75% dry (again, not easy for everyone) then added my styling product and Brushed ALL the tangles out. I put them in from the Back of my head near my neck and worked forward. I figured that would be better than working over already applied curlformers, trying to push them out of the way to get to the hair at the back. It worked really well. I had to adjust some of them so they got the ends, so on most of my scalp there's about 2" of uncurled hair, but that's ok. I don't want to look like shirley temple. Or carrot top. Whichever one you're familiar with. lol We'll see what my hair looks like tomorrow, but I think it will turn out pretty nicely. My hair will definitely be dry, it was already mostly dry when I applied them. I think that's a major tip, don't put soaking wet hair in them. Even sock-bun curls come out better if you mostly dry your hair and then put in the sock bun which also gives great, soft curl but not the fall-time curls over my sweater look I was so desperate for.
Also, this will save me a TON of time in the morning when I have none to spare.
3 lipsticks for overall rating because the price was like 100 bucks. No way these things should be that expensive which is why I also chose "No" if I would replace these should I lose them or of they broke. It was a total fluke I could afford them in the first place, so no.
UPDATE:
Ok so I slept in them. It wasn't that bad, but note to self: husband may only want to sleep next to "medusa" twice a week at most. He's a cuddler and this sort of kills that lol. Ok so it wasn't that uncomfortable, but like I said I had about 2" on top of my head not in the curlformers so I just pushed them out of the way and layed down. They stayed put great even though my hair is pretty soft and "slippery" if that makes sense. Next day I woke up and took them out which took about 10 minutes. I pulled each one straight, squeezed open the mouth of the curl former at closest to my scalp and pulled them off so as not to promote pulling the curls out. Separated each curl as I went by pulling into 1/4'ths and twisting so I had a fuller, less "corkscrew" look. I finished with a few conservative blasts of my favourite flexible hairspray. Looked incredible right off the bat, amazing soft curls. The ends were curled right to the tip which I can never get with irons or curlers. Although it did look amazing, I removed them at 7:30am (I just woke up early not due to curlformers but because my daughter has a cough :( ..) and now it's 10:30am and I'd say the curls have fallen out without any real abuse, weather exposure or brushing about 65%. The very back of my head where my hair is the longest is falling out first because the hair is heaviest. The front is staying longer. If I had layers which I don't, I'm sure they'd stay longer but I just have pretty long, single-length hair. I always think about getting layers and then the stylist cuts my hair way too short so I haven't gotten them in forever as I love my long hair. I know how to cut my own hair without it looking like a chop job so I might just do that for the sake of more volume and bounce throughout fall anyway as I'm stomping around campus all day and it would be nice to have "aphrodite" hair. lol Tonight I'll try again with heat this time, and hairspray before I set my hair. I'll do the same thing as tonight, but hairspray each strand before I pull it through the curl former and then finish my entire head with about 15 minutes of the blow dryer and see if that helps. I read somewhere that hairspraying BEFORE you apply heat somehow changes the composition of the hairspray and helps the lasting power of curls which I definitely need! My hair has never been able to hold curl.
Happy Curlformer'ventures!

I'm not really sure where I stand with these Curlformers. If put in wet hair and then slept on overnight, you get amazing beautiful results. One of my issues with regular curlers or hot rollers is that they don't really curl at the roots. No one else seems to mind this but it looks silly to me when the hair is wavy or curly everywhere but the roots. This is not an issue with Curlformers, you look curly from top to bottom! So that's definitely a plus.

My problem is what they're made out of. They've been around a long time and I just have trouble believing that by now they couldn't have made them out of something better. These are so terribly uncomfortable (and painful) to sleep in. I usually wake up with a headache from them. They're also almost impossible to dry with a hairdryer. They do have little mesh like holes in them but it's just not enough, not enough air gets in. I feel like there just has to be something out there that would be softer and let in more air that these things could be made out of.

I'm always looking for easy ways to curl my hair. Irons and wands take too much time and never get close enough to the root for me. Hot rollers barely curl, they mostly wave and again, not close enough to the root. Regular magnetic or velcro rollers aren't the greatest for sleeping and take too much time to roll the hair up into. And scrunching products always end up being crunchy or weird. Curlformers are insanely fast to put into place and I really love that about them. But in the end I feel like all that time I save while putting them just goes down the drain with how insanely long it takes these things to dry.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

As a 4c natural, I use these on wet hair to stretch it for easy styling. My hair fully dries in 6 hours. This is also a great way to air dry my hair for a smooth set before I flat iron. I find that I can't separate my curls or they fall or frizz up so I never wear a curl formers set. After applying my leave-in conditioner, I set with the Garnier smooth and sleek hair serum to get a smooth set. I also make sure my hair is very smooth by detangling with a wide tooth comb then with a finer tooth comb. If I don't use the fine tooth comb my set ends up tangled. I'm using a total of 32 extra wide and long. The price has doubled over the past five year so they are super expensive. Needs a larger hook for people with thick curly hair.

I really like these! such a simple, great product! I have med length thin hair and 16 curlformers were enough for my hair. I dont understand how people sleep in them though!

on 7/25/2011 12:09:00 PM

I have very long hair and a lot of it. That said, this became a somewhat expensive venture for me because I ended up purchasing 7 bags of the wide/extra long curlers which totaled almost $100.00. I ultimately believe the price will be worth it because it takes forever for me to dry and curl my hair the 'normal' way. The curlformers take almost an hour to put in and probably another hour or so to dry on me.

It definately takes quite a few tries to get used to using these. Especially with long hair, I found that the wrong angle, wrong direction of the 'hook' and too large of hair sections made for a tangly mess. I ended up making 1/2 inch sections of hair per curler to avoid the tangliness.

The end result is beautiful ringlets that soften out to a noticeable waviness on me. Great for adding volume to my very straight hair.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Once you get the hang of using these things (it took me three tries on separate days) they are seriously awesome - even if you're a curly haired girl like me. I have thick yet fine, naturally curly 3A type hair for reference.
Sometimes I have amazing hair days naturally...and sometimes my hair comes out flat with stringy limp curls. It's really frustrating - especially when I have a special event I'm getting ready for. I am now able to use my Curlformers to mold my curls into perfection (without heat) every time I use them.
It's incredibly liberating and has taken away the stress around prepping my curls. I get big loopy curls with body and zero frizz. Depending on how close I put them in to my scalp I can go from Shirley Temple curls to something a bit more wearable if I leave about a 2 inch gap at my scalp.
I have the "Long and Extra Wide" styling kit which is awesome for loose beachy type waves and I also have the "Long and Wide" kit which gives me more curl (the company's website calls them typical curls for shoulder length hair)
I was so pleased with them I did a favorable in depth review with lots of pictures over on my blog: http://wp.me/pHXFO-cc
The only reason I gave Curlformers 4/5 is because of the price - they're not cheap! If they were more affordable I'd buy more - specifically a short set since I cut my hair shorter for the warm weather.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I was intrigued with the concept of these, so I went to Sally's to check them out. It cost me $50 with my discount for the hook and 26 curlformers. For that price they should be magical and life changing, and they really aren't. I have thin/fine/straight hair that doesn't have any curl, and doesn't hold a curl. The first time I tried these I pulled the curlformer too close to my scalp, and they left these flattened patches where the base of the curlformer was. It looked awful. The second time I placed them about 1/2" away from my scalp for better results. But I wasn't impressed with them enough to spend that kind of money on them. There's absolutely NO way I would ever sleep in them, because they are stiff and hard, so I can only use them when I'm home all day. The markup on these things are absurd. They really seemed like they should be in the dollar store alongside of the foam rollers that work just as well.
I was looking on eBay, and they sell something similar from China called "Magic Leverag". Where they came up with that name, I have no idea. For around $7.00 (INCLUDING shipping) you get a hook and 18 curlformers or leverags!!! I compared the two before I returned my curlformers, and the curlformer hook is a lot better, so I kept that. The actual rollers are a bit shorter than the curlformer counterparts. They definitely won't work for long hair. I have shoulder length hair and they fit great and there's a good 3-4" of hair space left. PM me if you want more details about these magic leverags!
UPDATE: I've had much better success with these things lately for two reasons: (1) Even though I have very thin hair, I been sectioning my hair into much smaller curl pieces. I used to use about 20 curlformers for my whole head (about 1 inch pieces of hair) and now I use 40 (1/2 inch pieces). This seems to make the curl a lot nicer and they dry much faster. (2) Because my hair is so flat, I found that twisting my hair for the hook seemed to leave flat patches. If I have to I'll twist my hair for the hook to fit, I'll only twist it once. Once the curlformer is properly positioned, I'll twist the hair back so it falls straight. This, combined with teasing my hair afterward seems to help. If you have thick/frizzy/curly hair disregard this last step, because you'll probably love how curlformers can flatten your hair.

on 8/2/2010 10:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Iíve used Curlformers for about 5 months and though I really appreciate the tool, I have to say that it has to be something wrong with the long&narrow ones, mainly the green ones. So far Iíve lost 10 spirals!! Considering that the package brings only 8 of them, it means that I lost more than a package so far. No matter how carefully I deal with them when set my hair, these green ones are really weak. So, ladies, be carefull when buy them: avoid the long&narrow curlformers!!

As to the results: yes, it is time consuming (takes me 1:30-2 hours to set my whole head), it is not comfortable to sleep with them and it takes hours to dry (I have a lot of hair and to get great results, I have to apply on wet hair). Another negatve point: I have to use a lot (around
70) because I donīt like the roller set look. I rather the spiral look and to get it, it is needed to use many spirals.

On the other hand, it makes my 4 type hair into a 3c (long and wide curls). I love it!!! The first day, the look is not very natural (it looks like as if I had used the curly iron), but as time goes by, it gets better and better. I can use my hair for 3-4 days down, with part of it getting frizzy (not too much to bother me).

How I use: I wash my hair, apply Deva One condition (not matter if it is curl or care), then melted shea butter or a mix of shea butter and put in the spirals. I do use the Deva sun for at least 1 hour with hot and cold air and go overnight with the spirals. The next morning, I take them out, put some oil on my hands and split the curls.

I tried to use 2 spirals (bought the short ones) and didn't like the result, it was also extra job.

I'll definitely buy more of them: the extra long ones!

Popular Hair Styling Tools