Smashbox Photo Finish Light

Smashbox Photo Finish Light

3.4

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Carbomer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Triethanolamine, Decyl Glucoside, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Oligopeptide-10

on 7/10/2016 9:57:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I have combo skin and large pores. My skin also tends to suck in all foundation, hence poor longevity.

I found this to be ok. It hasn't broken me out in acne. It's not uncomfortable to wear as it really is very light. It doesn't pill (roll off), but goes on well with my routine (moisturiser, sunscreen, primer then foundation).

I think it MAY slightly increase the longevity of my make up. The foundation that normally transfers, still transfers with this. It doesn't stop the oil in my T zone. However, it doesn't make it worse (unlike Benefit's POREfressional, which somehow INCREASES the oil production ...weird).

My pores look slightly smaller. BUT my pores still look the same size with an only foundation look. So overall for pores, there is no real effect.

So basically, I feel like I'm doing something. It MAY increase the foundation longevity. It doesn't really do much else.

I must admit, so far I haven't come across a single face primer that has impressed me...

This is a nice primer. It feels really great going on to my skin, and it doesn't break me out. The only thing that I don't like about it is the price.

It kind of reminds me of glue. Just because it looks like it.
The only reason I won't repurchase is because I want to try the original next.

To Read all 452 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/23/2016 5:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have three Smashbox primers and this is hands-down the worst primer I've ever tried. It feels like it never dries and actually makes my makeup wear off. Just yesterday I used this only on my t-zone and chin and after about 8 hours my foundation (IT Cosmetics CC+) was just... Gone. I've never had wear like that even when I haven't used a primer. The clear primer is way better than this, if you're dying to try Smashbox, but honestly I'd go with any other brand.

on 3/26/2016 10:34:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Love this primer! I have very oily and acne-prone skin! I am happy I was able to search for a primer that does the work and does not cause future breakouts! (Very
Impt!!)

Pros:
1. As mentioned, does not cause breakouts!
2. Light and non-greasy feeling!
3. Helps foundation or powder to settle in

Cons:
1. Ironically, makes my skin look shiny after 2hrs or so. I have to use oil blotter or reapply powder

on 3/19/2016 3:15:00 PM

My esthetician recommended that I start using an "oil free" & "silicone free" primer as I was getting some pore congestion on my chin and under my lower lip. I had attributed these little breakouts to menopause as the rest of my face is unaffected. She insisted it was from my Laura Mercier primer and told me that it contains a lot of oils.

Upon her suggestion she recommended either the LORAC I'm so sensitive or the Smashbox light. I have never been a fan of SB primers and wanted to try the LORAC as I love her Porefection primer, but ULTA was out of stock so I bought this. I tried it on the back of my hand in the store and it felt light and silky, not so when applied to my face. I had the same issue with this as I did the other SB primers, they contain so many silicones that they ball or pill up on my face when rubbed too much. I didn't experience this upon application of the primer but definitely did upon application and blending of my foundation. I had so many little silicone balls mixed with foundation all over my face that I thought I was using my PTR dead skin peel! There were far too many to attempt plucking with tweezers so I had to remove what I had on, rewash, remoisturize and reapply a different primer and then reapply my foundation. I pulled the box and looked at the ingredients and this stuff is not "oil and silicone free", granted they are not in the first 3 ingredients listed but it still contains what she told me to avoid. Either SB has changed their formula or she doesn't know as much about primers as she thinks.

Thank goodness I always save my empty boxes until I use a product for 1-2 weeks, this is going back to ULTA and I will just wait until they restock Lorac's I'm so sensitive and give that a try.

I will say that I like SB's foundations and count Halo as one of my favorites. Their blushes, highlighters, eyeshadows and liners are awesome, but their primers are an epic fail for me. I don't have a lot of love for their lipsticks or glosses either, but that's just me.

on 3/9/2016 11:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I've got oily skin and tried the original photo finish primer, didn't like it. I felt it wa too silicone-y and made my makeup feel heavy.
I didn't even want to bother with this even though I hear it was better for oily skin because of the whole "60% water" and I haven't had good results from water based makeup as they would always have me in an oily mess a lot sooner than a silicone or oil based makeup.

I was in Ulta at the time and saw the few travel sized smashbox primers and just grabbed this on my way out and so far I'm really glad I did.

It's really refreshing, the texture of this primer especially since it's targeted toward oily skin. I find most primers targeted for oily skin tend to be heavier/goopy and kind of glue-like whereas this is very lightweight and actually makes my face matte and I feel like it kind of... Dried my skin but in a good way, like it really helped mattify my skin after my moisturizer.

I have used this with two longer wearing foundations and I do think it's helped keep my skin from getting as oily. I don't know if it really prolongs my makeup cause I normally wear long wearing makeup on a daily basis since they work great on oily skin and I don't really wear makeup more than 8 hours.

I dont find that it blurs any pores or anything. I think it has to do with how lightweight this is, I just don't think it's thick enough to smooth out/fill large pores and such but honestly I don't even mind that because my foundations tend to do a good job at minimizing the size of my pores anyway.

Nor does it have the same amount of silicone, like the original, which would normally help a powder foundation glide on more smoothly

But so far, I just really like how well it keeps my face matte longer than other primers I've used that were thicker and really didn't do as good of a job.
I'm going to keep using this and trying it out with other foundation and see how I like it after using it more

on 2/18/2016 10:27:00 AM

This product is too expensive for what it does, which is nothing. There is so much hype about it and I decided to try it out. I got the travel size because the full size was just too much. My face has normal skin. It is just my very oily noes that causes problems. My make up slides off from it very easily, that is why I got the oil-free version.

So, I used this for 11 months and I really wanted to like this primer. But it disappointed me. Here is why:
- it did not prolong the make-up on my oily nose
- it did not blur or minimise the appearance of my pores...with or without it, there was no difference
- I used this on the rest of my face, thinking that it would work there but, again, it did not. What's worse is that it broke me out!! I had a rash and redness. Thankfully, an antihistamine pill fixed this.

Probably I should have got myself the pore-minising version of this primer....

Save your pennies!! Buy the Monistat Chafing Gel - it is a fraction of the price and does miracles for oily skin areas and pores!

on 2/15/2016 10:02:00 AM

I have used it couple of times for now and so far so good. I am not such a believer in those kind of things, but this product seems to be the first one, which makes me a believer that makeup does last longer thanks to a primer.
For contouring I use Makeup Store matte eyeshadow, which does a pretty good job, but it did not last very long (by very long I mean like 8 hours). But this primer changed it. I noticed that my contouring doesn´t fade off. It really keeps everything in place.
I have a combo skin (quite oily and couple of dry patches which are kept under control by using the right moisturiser) and Smashbox photo finish primer light might become my HG makeup product! It is wintertime, so I do not know yet how well it will work in the summer time.
I recommend trying it at least! It is worth trying.

on 2/13/2016 11:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

This primer works but too pricey for me. Though I purchased the full size one. But I prefer more l'oreal to smashbox. Somehow this primer doesn't make my pores get tightening. But I love cuz this primer keeps my foundation staying all of day

The best primer ever. My makeup always looks amazing for hours and it really fills in your pore for a smooth and beautiful finish for your foundation. Great for sensitive skin too! I have no interest in trying anything else!