4.4

package quality

price range

Reviews

3 months ago

Let me preface this by saying that I've loved Clairol Shimmer lights for over the past ten years. Shimmer lights is not cheap and I have to order it online so a cheaper and more convenient alternative is ideal. I purchased this at Shoppers Drug mart, in the volumizing formula and I do really like it. It doesn't seem to be quite as drying as Shimmer Lights, nor does it turn my hair white/purple. I would say it isn't as potent, and tones my hair to a more flattering shade of bright blonde. I will continue to use this. My only gripe is I wish it had a pump.

About reviewer (231 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Cool

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

a year ago

Smells good and works to tone down the yellow in my blonde hair. Il keep using this rather than that awful smelling shimmer lights.

About reviewer (340 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinAcne-prone, Fair

2.0

3 years ago

I have now tried a few of the recommended toning shampoos: Shimmer Lights, Lush's Daddy-O, and Joico Color Endure (the one with SLS and the one without SLS). I'm here to tell you that Light Blue Shade is the best violet shampoo I've tried, both for its toning abilities and for the condition it leaves my hair. This stuff is really potent. I don't really have to leave it on my hair for very long for a toning effect - maybe 2 minutes - which saves time and I think makes it less drying than ones you need to leave it for 5 minutes for any effect. I get constant compliments on my hair when I use this one because it leaves you with the perfect pearly ashy shade, even when you're due for an actual toner touch-up. I'd say the only other shampoo I'd consider repurchasing (if Light Blue Shade weren't available) is Joico Color Endure violet shampoo - the one with SLS. It tones like Light Blue Shade, but its main drawback is the price. Shimmer Lights is cheap like Light Blue Shade, but it has that notoriously bad smell. I also find Shimmer Lights leaves my hair with a coated, waxy texture. ETA: Ugh, why. Of course after I wrote this review, I ran out of the shampoo and went and bought a new bottle. The design of the package and label had changed and - guess what - apparently the formula has been changed as well, and this shampoo tones nowhere near as well as it did before. It's not really worth it anymore. Guess I'll be shelling out for Joico Color Endure until I find a cheaper alternative that's as effective at knocking out warm tones.

About reviewer (194 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair, Not Sure

HairBlond, Wavy, Medium

4 years ago

HG product for post-bleaching and brass banishing for blonde hair. It smells 1000x better than Shimmer Lights and I find it tones better too. It can be a tad drying so I like to supplement it with another hydrating conditioner. You can't beat the price for quality!

About reviewer (2 reviews)

4 years ago

I have medium brown hair with red under tones and in the last year started getting an ombré done on it so I am new to the world of purple shampoos... I tried a lot of different ones thinking they worked until I tried this one and there is no comparison! It had been a month since my last bleach/toner application and My hair was completely brassy. After one use, every bit of brass is gone and my hair is even blonder than after my last trip to the salon. It is amazing! Yes the shampoo needs the conditioner but I was probably 5 the last time I used a Shampoo on its own. I could not find it in stores but ordered it online from well.ca, total for both was less than $18. It will also go a long way since you should only use it once or twice a week and I will have to go to the salon less often so definitely worth it. I will absolutely but again.

Age25-29

6 years ago

Awesome product!! My hair was VERY orange, and after one use it brought me to a very nice ash blonde (I left conditioner in for about 3 minutes). Best tonal shampoo/conditioner I've ever used, and would recommend to anyone who has very red hair after bleaching. Only problem is that the bottle is a little bit weird, and it can be a little bit difficult to get any product out and then control how much actually comes out.

AgeUnder 18

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Straight, Coarse

8 years ago

I recently dyed my hair with a home box coloring system, from a warm tone to a cool toned brown. My hair is naturally jet black. After three washes I saw the cool brown looking a touch red, which is not what I wanted. I went looking for a tone-correcting shampoo or treatment but came upon this at the local drugstore. After my first wash and condition (same line) I saw results instantly and have used it twice more since purchasing. My hair is now back to its original cool brown color, with a great amount of shine. The accompanying condition is also light and does not feel heavy at all. Word of warning, you MUST use the conditioner with the shampoo. After my first wash, my hair felt like STRAW, and it was hard to rake my fingers through. I applied the conditioner, let sit for 2 minutes and rinsed and my hair felt like silk again. I believe by using just any conditioner with the shampoo will not provide you with the same results. Cost was $6.96, but I've seen it as high as $12.99. For people having a hard time finding this, it can be purchased at Walmart(both Canada and USA), and I've seen it online as well.ca which ship internationally (based out of Canada).

About reviewer (399 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Straight, Medium

EyesBrown

8 years ago

My blonde hair ALWAYS turns brassy. This product was $6 at Walmart. It worked better than Shimmer Lights and AG Sterling Silver, the FIRST time. I've only used it once, and the results were so fantastic I had to write a review. My hair is almost completely white-blonde again.

SkinCombination, Fair

8 years ago

Before colouring my hair I had a dark brown (almost black) with a very red hue to it. I purchased a seperate cap/box of bleech instead of doing a highlighting kit to do my highlights thinking it would lighten greatly, after seeing it didnt and was a very coppery orange colour, I put another box of blonde (ultra light blonde, not bleech) on top. It lightened the streaks as well as the brown colour to a very orange with yellow streaks, not happy with it as usual I went to a very close friend who did a full head of foils as well as applied an ultra light ash blonde. Satisfied with the overall colour I was fine. After a few days, the brass colour came back leaving my hair orange again. I then did a brass banisher from L'oreal paris. This helped A LOT after leaving on for 10 minutes. I was then advised by my close friend to get the light blue shad shampoo and use this once a week to remove the brassy colour, After once use I could definately see a different and was VERY pleased. I would recommend using this shampoo with the conditioner as well as no more than twice a week maximum. I dont find the smell of the shampoo/conditioner to be bad & will definately recomment this to anyone :)

SkinSensitive, Medium

HairBrunette

8 years ago

This shampoo is a very deep purple colour and works very well on yellow hair but i find it tends to stain hair a bit and it is very damaging so try mixing it with a moisturising shampoo.

About reviewer (5 reviews)

AgeUnder 18