OPI An Affair in Red Square

OPI An Affair in Red Square

4.6

on 4/27/2016 4:22:00 AM

I love this red, an old fashioned glamour metallic red that looks like liquid foil on the nails. Easy to apply and classic. Unlike other reviewers i would happily wear this all year round, but then, fashion and season rules are boring. A nice easy classic polish that you cannot go wrong with.

on 12/15/2015 12:12:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I would re-purchase this only for the shade. An Affair in Red Square is a beautiful red with blue undertones (to me) that's perfect for Christmas but versatile any time of the year.
Two coats of AFIRS gives my nails a glamourous red colour with sheen that doesn't look tacky. The formula isn't watery and applies beautifully.

The fact that OPI nail polishes seem to start wearing off within a day on my nails is why I'm not able to give a full five lipsticks.
Even my beloved Seche Vite top coat can't hold off the wear like it can with Essie polishes.
I'm not a fan of having to constantly touching up my finger nail polish so I don't wear OPI too often, which is a shame because they have such great collections.

To Read all 117 Reviews, Login or Join

on 11/10/2015 9:43:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The best red nail polish I've ever had! And I have a lot of reds. :) This is really so beautiful, ellegant, sophisticated, classy, gamorous! <3 As far as I know it is NOT discontinued, it is now part of the classics. ;) You can still find it. I found mine yesterday at some Romanian web-store and bought it with discount, too. It cost me about 8 EUR!!! <3 Happy to have it!!!

I bought this polish while on holiday in Hong Kong and got it in a deal with three other polishes. They were super cheap compared with the prices of individual bottles in the UK! I have been lusting over OPI nail polishes for a while now so was so happy to finally pick some up!

This colour is gorgeous but reminds me of a Christmas bauble or foil wrapping paper - it felt very weird traveling around Asia in the middle of Summer wearing this colour. It's strange, I totally love the colour but it feels too Christmassy to wear all year round. Or maybe that's just me. There are probably some people who love to wear it all the time!

I had to apply 3 coats which is not ideal but after the top coat the polish didn't chip on my nails for ages - even doing the washing up! Other polishes chip with me so I'm glad that paying the extra is actually worth it. Plus it looks amazing with a matte op coat as well as gloss. Will be buying OPI even at full price from now on!

on 1/26/2015 12:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Just not for me regarding an every day color. I could see wearing this for the Holidays. It is everything other reviewers have said regarding the red foil, ribbon look; making it very Holidayish in my opinion. I much prefer Big Apple Red as far as an every day red. Maybe it's that I prefer a crème polish over a shimmer, not sure exactly my reason. Just know this one didn't quite cut it for me.
***Update*** After 2 days of "light" wear, I have several chips.

on 12/11/2014 4:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

This is a fun interesting red shimmer nail polish. The shimmer gives it the finish of red foil and is perfect for holiday season and is also great to wear year-round. It is a cool-toned red with a slight pink undertone, and while I'm not the biggest fan of cool red polishes, it is very flattering against my hands. On my feet, however, it looks average.

The color is very opaque and you can get away with one coat, but I always apply two coats. It applies smoothly and dries pretty quickly. The shade is shiny on its own, but with a top coat, the shine becomes magnified. Pretty shade that I prefer on my hands better than my feet, and it is definitely a shade that pops on dark skin.

on 3/23/2014 10:15:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

With my pale complexion, this color is just too much. It's a beautiful shade, but on my skin it's over the top for everyday wear. The depth and finish end up clashing with my skin tone. The only time I pull this bottle out is around the holidays, when it seems appropriate. So why the four stars? I am not faulting a product just because the color is wrong for me. The application and consistency of the formula is, as always, excellent. I love my red polishes and a lot of them look great, but if something doesn't work on me, it doesn't work on me. Doesn't mean it won't work on others.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

THIS is what I hoped for in INRAW! THIS is my holy grail red! It blows all my other favourite reds out of the water with it's fiery true red shimmery goodness. I don't care anymore if I'm Not Really A Waitress or A Oui Bit of Red or Friar Friar Pants On Fire get discontinued. I could happily toss them today because all I want to wear is this stunning red polish.

Like all shimmers it is a little bit less apt to chip than say a red cream but as always with a darker colour it pays to do a little prep ahead and make sure you use a good base and top coat. Wear time--usual OPI. Translated that means better than most, but still chips by the third day.

This goes on opaque and cherry with the first coat. You see the orange red shimmers right away, so there is a nice mix of cool cherry pink red and fiery orange red that will complement any complexion. The second coat darkens into a warm almost wine depth of red again, a good but strange mix of cool and warm tones.

ANYONE will look great in this stunning red polish. Highly recommend this. I don't want to bother with any other red from now on!

I'm going to buy another 2 bottles right away for insurance purposes because if they discontinue this I will not be a happy camper I can tell you!!!!

EDITED TO ADD: If you want the matching lipstick try Red Addiction by Lancome which is a creamy feeling matte true red with the faintest coppery sheen to it, matching the faint golden microshimmer in this polish with the very same red.

on 3/1/2014 7:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

My all time favourite nail polish from OPI! It is the first and only nail polish I have totally used up!

An Affair in Red Square is a gorgeous classic red with metallic/silky-looking finish. It is not too blue not orange - just the classic, neutral red. Application is flawless, you can get away with one coat (since it is a very opaque shade) but I always paint two :) Lasting power is great also. I always use top coat so I can't comment on the lasting power when worn without top coat.

Sadly, it has been discontinued but I managed to find it on Ebay for $5,99 and immediately purchased few bottles for the future! There is also quite a close dupe for this which has the same metallic finish but it has a bit warmer base than AAIRQ - it's OPI Danke-Shiny Red.

Would I buy this again? Yes, definitely!

on 2/17/2014 9:45:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

The Perfect Red. That is what this should be called. Oh how I love this beauty! I saw swatches of this a while back on someone's nail blog and fell hard. This polish was released for fall 2007 as part of the Russian collection. Since this was limited edition and no longer in producttion, I found this on Amazon and it was a great price too, so I was excited to get this in the mail last week. I wore this gorgeous red for Valentine's Day and it was perfect! The polish applies beautifully and glides on smoothly and evenly. It was a bit thin on the first coat but the second coat gave this a richess and depth and was all I needed for the perfect look. I rarely wear red polish as I have fair skin and most red colors don't look good on my skintone. This was a perfect red for me. This is a warm golden red polish that looks like Christmas ribbon when it dries. This has a metalic foil finish and is soooo pretty. I kept staring at my nails. This does show some brushstrokes, but not bad, and is very workable and does not pool, flood the cuticles, or drag/bald with application. I love this beautiful red polish! It did stain my nails slightly when I removed it but it wasn't bad and it didn't turn my cuticles all red either. This is the most beautiful color when you get it on. Even though I just removed my Valentine's Day mani, I am tempted to repaint with the same color. I love this polish so much. It looks fabulous on me. It's the perfect shade of red and has just the right shimmer. Thank goodness for on line ordering and mail in my in box! I had no trouble finding this for sale.

Popular Polishes