Neutrogena T/Gel

Neutrogena T/Gel

3.8

Active Ingredient: Coal Tar 0.5% Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Laureth-4, Fragrance, Polysorbate 20, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin

on 11/24/2016 6:18:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

This review is for the extra strength. My dermatologist said that I have severe psoriasis. It was to the point that my scalp was actually bleeding. I have been using this stuff for about 3 weeks now. It has reduced the flakes and itching to a degree,....BUT It hasn't 100% eliminated it either which is why I gave it 3 stars. My scalp is no longer bleeding so that is plus. I'm also noticing new hair growing in so I am happy about that. I'm going to give it more time and see what happens. I will update my review in the future to see if there is any change.

The smell: It smells EXACTLY like those mothballs that your grandparents used to store in their closets lol! I try to use a regular shampoo to mask the smell (while carefully avoiding the scalp), but I can still smell it...even when it's dry. I definitely wouldn't use this on a date night!

1/19/17 Update: bumping up to 4 stars. This has kicked my prescription shampoo's butt. My scalp feels so much better & is in a much healthier state! I wish that I knew about this years ago. I started using t-gel every other wash & now I only use it when my scalp gets irritated. I have also switched to a more natural shampoo (as my main shampoo) so that has helped as well! ALSO, don't get discouraged if you don't see results right away. My experience was gradual.

Every now and then I get a flaky, itchy scalp. I don't exactly know why but it could be seasons changing, type of shampoo etc. Whenever I get a bout of it, I go straight to T-gel as it works every time. Works on first application, lathers well and it actually leaves my hair so soft and clean.

Some people on here have mentioned the strong smell, but I personally don't mind it.

Definitely a favourite of mine and would recommend.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Yes the smell is a hefty mix of anti-septic and floor cleaner, but it WORKS. My family is plagued by skin problems and allergies and my scalp will flare up with white flakes along my hairline. Recently, my entire scalp become caked in flakes. I wasn't sure if it was due to stress, seasonal change, changing hair products or over shampooing my hair (as all had happened to me around the time of the scalp problem).

I tried rubbing olive oil along the scalp and rinsing with bicarb and apple cider vinegar for a gentle solution. It did not shift my problem. So I used T-Gel, washing and rinsing twice. I let it sit for around 10-15 minutes each time. The chronic flakiness was 99% gone. It's magical stuff!

It does leave the hair and scalp feeling "squeaky" clean. It removes any product build up as well which I love. I applied John Frieda Frizz-Ease Miraculous Recovery Intensive Masque straight after.

I have curly hair and the T-Gel really brings the curls alive. It does create a wee bit of frizz but curls seems to love it (possibly because it removed all the weighty build up of products).

99% of the yucky smell vanishes by the time the hair has dried so for me the product odor isn't an issue.

Anyone suffering "white flakiness" of any variety should try this product. I've used Head and Shoulders which is okay... it's a bit more 'trendy' and not as smelly, but it dries out the hair much worse and isn't as "curl-friendly" as T-Gel. I find T-Gel more effective. To me, it's as necessary a bathroom staple as dettol or toothpaste. The price for me is irrelevant- I'll gladly pay for something that knocks an embarrassing, uncomfortable skin issue on the head.

on 10/1/2016 4:00:00 PM

Ok this is really foul, revolting, terrifying, horrifying, disgusting.... Every one of those adjectives you can think of... I do not have psoriasis on my scalp.... I've been using this product to treat LICE. In MY hair (& my child's) and it DOES work. I've been lathering up & leaving it on my scalp for the duration of my shower and it's nuked those pests dead (i still need to comb obsessive to get it all out tho) I wish I just bought this before spending a fortune on all that fairy lice mother crap (that does NOT work.) I'm so sorry if I ruined anyone's day but hopefully this helps someone...

on 5/24/2016 4:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Love this stuff. I have the extra strength version, and boy does it stink. I wouldn't plan on using this before you leave the house in the morning, but as a night treatment it works perfectly. I use it about every one to two weeks and it keeps my scalp so clear. I'm not sure if I have seb derm, if I do, it is a mild case if I'm comparing it to Google images. But I do get scaly patches especially near my temples, and often had crusty patches on my scalp where I guess it got the most oily, which often resulted in dandruff. I really take my time to make sure this covers my scalp, which can be hard to do when you have long hair, and leave it on for several minutes. Haven't had any patches or seen any flakes in months since I started using this.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I purchased T-Gel after coming to my wits end with my dandruff. It was EVERYWHERE on my scalp and most noticeable around my hairline. It was flaking into my actual hair and made me, quite frankly, look like I had mange. I tried natural remedies such as coconut oil but this just made the build-up worse so I bought T-Gel.
And oh my god, I LOVE it. I could not fault this product. You need to wash your hair through twice with this shampoo and leave it for 5-10 mins each time. It lathers nicely and I make sure the push it into my scalp (more so on deeply affected areas) with my fingers so not to scratch my sensitive scalp. I also make sure when washing out not to scrub my scalp to disrupt the skin. I use this around twice a week (I only wash my hair twice a week as it's quite dry) and it instantly calms my scalp, you can feel it's cooling effect!
At first, my dandruff wasn't receding at all, but you really need to stick this shampoo out to see actual desired effects. I also read this shampoo is great for clarifying, the only downside is the medical smell.
However, I do now find that I can't wash my hair with other shampoo, my scalp starts to produce dandruff again so I have to go back to T-Gel, even though the shampoo is not meant for continued use.
I'm still on the hunt for a good shampoo to use regularly instead of T-Gel that won't cause a flare-up.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I would say this is one of the better scalp treatments I have tried.
It does have a strong smell but is not as bad as some I have tried.
It starts to help right away but to get best results you do need to use for while.
I started using daily then gradually spaced it out.
Anytime I do use this I first wash my hair very lightly with a small amount of shampoo to remove and greasy or residue first then I apply this all over my scalp and massage it into the scalp well.
Then I let it set there for a few minutes so that the treatment can really work on the scalp. Then I rinse and apply my conditioner.
Now that my scalp is in better shape I use this once every two weeks or once a week as prevention.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I've always had dry scalp & dealt with dandruff, but a tea tree shampoo kept it at bay for a long time. One night, I could not sleep because my scalp was itching so badly and I knew I had to do something else. My dad has used this for a long time for his psoriasis, so I bought myself a bottle the next morning and have been using it ever since.

Yes, the smell sucks, but it keeps my scalp healthy and happy, so I love it. At first I used this every time I washed my hair, but now I can use it once or twice a week and it keeps everything under control.

This also works as a clarifying shampoo and makes my hair SO clean, soft, and silky. A nice bonus & gives me more motivation to use it regularly.

on 11/24/2015 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I would definitely not buy this again. From the four times that I've used it, it has actually made my scalp psoriasis worse. Now I need to go and search for another product! Because this one doesn't help at all unfortunately :( and the smell is horrible! I would bear it if it actually helped my scalp

on 11/18/2015 3:38:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have seborrheic dermatitis and use this product about twice a week, maybe 3 times. I find it helps my itching a lot and makes the flakes smaller. Out of all of the products for my condition this one works the best. I have tried all natural and the t-sal, but they have usually made it worse or neutral. Downsides: 1. the smell, it's honestly like a roofing company is inside your bathroom. 2. I do find it leaves my scalp red and slightly sensitive, probably from the chemicals. 3: it's not all natural or cruelty free, for me this is important but maybe not for others. 4: It leaves the roofing smell in your hair as well and I need to use a different shampoo after to make it less harsh. Upsides: 1. itching is less intense and painful. 2: flakes are much smaller. 3: helps heal my scalp and scars from over itching. 4: only product that seems to be working for me. 5: widely available in most pharmacies and even Walmart. 6: doesn't dry my hair out, surprisingly!

Conclusion: it all depends on the person, it works for me but may not be for you. I would still give it a try and test it.

Popular Hair Treatments