The Body Shop Vitamin C Micro Refiner

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone

4.1

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

aqua, sodium diatomeae, glycerin, prunus dulcis, dimethicone, butyruspernum parkii, cetearyl alcohol, glyceryl stearate, phenoxyethanol, PEG-100 stearate, acrylates/C10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer, polysorbate 60, methylparaben, xanthan gum, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, propylparaben, sodium hydroxide, parfum, limonene, disodium EDTA, linalool, benzyl benzoate, hexyl cinnamal, citrus dulcis, citrus grandis, citronellol, citral, geraniol, benzyl alcohol.

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This is for the Vitamin C Microdermabrasion version.

I really like this scrub. I didn't plan to buy it but I stumbled over it in the Tax Free place on a cruise and decided to try it. I didn't know whether it'd be good, so my first time using it was intriguing... I lightly massaged my face with it for a minute or so and the moment I rinsed it off my face was so soft! You don't need a lot of product and you don't have to scrub very hard at all really because of the texture of it.

I've since I first got it used it regularly and I love it. My skin has no problem tolerating it when I use it more than twice a week but then again I have oily and acne prone skin that's used to harsh treatments. But I do find myself going back to a scrub with bigger pieces in it every once in a while as the Vitamin C one doesn't remove all the peels from healing zits and so on.

the Vitamin C microdermabrasion scrub is the best scrub i've tried so far! it really does its job and has a lovely smell too. skin feels clear and brighten! i find it a little bit harder than other scrubs, but for me that's something i like. so overall will definitely buy again and again!

I bought this product thinking of a home dermabrasion, obviously a milder one. I have a really oily skin, enlarged pores and i do breakout every now and then. This product is great if you are trying to get rid of those post acne spots and also it smoothed my scars probably by peeling the dead skin. My pores appeared refined. So yea, it really worth it...
I just use it once a week at night, and i gently scrub to avoid any redness and keep a thin layer on for 3-4 mins and rinse off. Follow up with the night regime( non alcoholic toner+ night cream)

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

i bought this product a few weeks ago. i just want to try this and it's unique, because the product said it's microdermabrasion. i don't know what is that but i thought it will good for a scrub. the smell is good too. it's really fresh. when i first wore this, oww it's very painful!! but after i rinse off the scrub with water, my face became extra smooth and refresh. i love it. btw all my blackhead comedo are gone too :)) i'm satisfied with this product

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

*read the EDIT*

THEY HAVE DISCONTINUED THIS!
Along with the Vit C mask from the same line, which also had high ratings here on MUA.
I can't believe why would they discontinue their best scrub?! I'm sure this is that evil L'Oréal's doing!
Onto the actual product...
I think this is a really good scrub. The beads are tiny but hard, but they are gentle if you don't go at it scrubbing your face vigorously.
It is EFFECTIVE. I notice the baby smoothness especially if I haven't been exfoliating for a couple of weeks. Otherwise my skin is always smooth anyway.
Also, a little goes a long way with this one.
Oh and, on my first use I did have a reaction to it. I got tiny little red bumps all over my face. My skin is not really sensitive, but sometimes reacts to the new products like this. Not break-outs, just some irritation or over-production of oil. However, it never happened again. So don't throw it away after the first use! Give it a second chance.
Although I love it and it breaks my heart to see it discontinued(it's removed from the UK website), it had a few cones:
1. It uses almond beads to scrub. Almond is one of the gentler natural scrubs but it's still not perfectly round as it should be.
2. Vit C goes bad too easily. My brand new tube smelled off, plasticy. Not citrusy like mentioned here. I took it back to the store and the tester one smelled the same. The lady there told it was normal. *shrugs* So... I don't think the vit C in it is doing anything for your skin.
3. It's overpriced. It's retailed for about 35$ here in Turkey! And the vit C line rarely gets a BOGO sale.
4. I don't think you should use it more than a few times a week. This is not a daily scrub!
5. Although I use it in conjunction with other exfoliating treatments like AHAs, BHAs, masks and LUSH AOBS; so sometimes I don't get to use this often enough to watch the brightening effect, but I don't think it has much of it. Maybe only if I have really dull skin because I haven't been exfoliating for days, which is rare. It's good at erasing dullness but it doesn't give any extra "glow".
Now LUSH Angels on Bare Skin gives that "glowing" effect.
Overall, I don't mind these cones enough to give up on this product. Gets 4 lippies. I'd always want to have it available. *sigh*

EDIT: Apparently this product has been reformulated along with the rest of the Vitamin C line which is being revamped.
Read about it here:

The new product has a very similar formula but now it contains Aluminum beads too, which is a good thing. Synthetic beads are perfectly round.

The new formula:

Water (Solvent/Diluent), Solum Diatomeae (Abrasive), Glycerin (Humectant), Aluminum Silicate (Exfoliant), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Dimethicone (Skin Conditioning Agent), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) (Skin-Conditioning Agent/Emollient), Cetearyl Alcohol (Emulsifier), Glyceryl Stearate (Emulsifier), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), PEG-100 Stearate (Surfactant), Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer (Stabiliser/Viscosity Modifier), Polysorbate 60 (Surfactant), Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Antioxidant), Xanthan Gum (Viscosity Modifier), Fragrance (Fragrance), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Myrciaria Dubia Fruit Extract (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Citral (Fragrance Ingredient).

I really really really wanted to luv this scub. First off the exfoliating particles(or whatever they're called) are way too small to really exfoliate your skin. When you use a good scrub, afterwards your skin should be smooth and soft, not with this. It works the same way a cleanser does in my case and you could buy a better scrub at a cheaper price(was $25+tax).

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is amazing. I've been deciding whether or not to buy it for quite a while because of it's price, but honestly it leaves your skin feeling amazing! I've only used it once, so I can't say that it made my milia disappear (yet) but I can safely say that it has made it smoother and my cheeks are so soft and rosy!
29/04/09
After using this for a while, I discovered that it is very good for opening up pores. After I scrub my face with this in the shower, I follow up by using a cleansing foam and my pores are squeaky clean! As for the milia I have - I think a small amount has disappeared but I'm not quite certain yet as I haven't been using this every day.

I bought this scrub during buy the Vit C capsule at SGD 29.90 and get 25% off any Vit C skincare.

It is lovely facial scrub with fine particles and quite gentle on skin. I love the Vit C smell. It is not drying at all, skin glow after using this scrub. The SA suggested to use the Vit C capsule after using this scrub to maximise the Vit C effect. I would rather use the Vit C capsule on days that I am not using the scrub, cos the capsule maybe too much for "scrubbed" skin.

I only give a 4 cos the price is consider high for 75ml product. Good time to buy is during promotions.

16-Sep-09: I am adding another lippies to this product. This really helps to brighten up skin. I used it 2x per week. This and my Nuxe AHA cream are the only facial treatment that I use, cos now I am pregnant, too tired to do any more mask. These 2 babies help me to maintain my skin. I am happy person:) :)
I am so loving TBS stuff:)

28-Jan-2011
I am still with my current tube. It is more than 2 years and I am still using it. It seems like the product are still okay and touch wood no outbreak. TBS has launch new Vit C range. So sad, I love the old Vit C range. Why must they keep changing their formula when it is very good already? So far TBS stuff are working well for me. I will still support TBS no matter what. I just love TBS stuff:):)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I was looking for an alternative to the Kiehl's Dermatologist Solutions Epidermal Re-Texturizing Micro-Dermabrasion scrub, which is almost twice as expensive as this one. After reading the reviews here on MuA, I purchased this one.

It has nice, fine particles that sit in that perfect spot between too smooth (think PTR botanical buffing beads) and too rough (think St. Ives). It could be very strong, so proceed with caution if you are sensitive or use a heavy hand when scrubbing. It's not micro-dermabrasion by any stretch, but it is just a nice, pleasant scrub. Nice, light scent as well. It's an excellent alternative to the Kiehl's scrub.

Additionally, this re-introduced me to The Body Shop. I didn't realize that the store was so committed to natural products and sustainability. They also constantly run promotions, and I received a GWP.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

It's a good scrub. That's all. I don't know why they advertise this as "microdermabrasion".