Price: $

Price: $

5% to 6% (approximately 0.3 M) citric acid, Vitamin C, pH 2 to 3

on 8/23/2016 4:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Lemon juice, when exposed to sunlight, is phototoxic and can lead to phytophotodermatitis. The results include burns, red rash, and hyperpigmentation (brown discolorations). Please do your research before you rub lemon juice all over your skin. The research all shows to not put lemon juice on your skin. When I mean research, look at actual studies. Not some random blog on the internet that anybody can write.

Even if you live in a cave, lemon juice is a bad idea. The short term good results you are seeing are from the citric acid in it, which is a type of AHA. However, the lemon juice pH level is not controlled. Yes, you need a low pH for exfoliation, but the pH in lemon juice is generally too low for the skin (in combination with a 5-10% average citric acid % in lemons). Over time, you will compromise your skin's acid mantle barrier, which creates a variety of skin issues. This type of damage can sneak up on you slowly and you can easily blame it on something else. You may not notice damage at first, and may think it works great - but over time the damage will add up. You are better off with a properly formulated AHA skincare product that has a controlled pH, amount of AHA, etc. There are some good cheap AHA products.

Why put something on your skin that has a HIGH RISK of causing long term skin damage for a short term gain? Use lemon juice for food, not for skin.

on 6/18/2016 10:16:00 AM

drink lemon in the morning with a straw so u dont demage ur teeth and dont put it on ur skin

To Read all 406 Reviews, Login or Join

on 6/18/2016 9:38:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

DON'T PUT THIS ALL OVER YOUR SKIN - Lemon juice makes the skin more sensitive to sun! However I do use it for the my dark spots only. Twice a day in the evening or night when I will not be exposed to the sun. It has helped significantly fade some of my dark spots and I always make sure I apply sunscreen on the areas I put them on before heading out the next day.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

DO NOT USE LEMON JUICE ON YOUR SKIN!!! I'm into cosmetic chemistry, dermatology and I do my research on everything I put on my skin. I only have one face & I want it to look it's best for as long as possible! That being said, lemon juice, or any citrus fruit for that matter, has the potential to do some serious short & long term damage. Not only does it immidiatly sensitize & irritate your skin, but it causes inflammation deep with in your dermis that destroys the collagen fibers that act as the structural support to keep our faces from falling prematurely. Repeated exposure to this causes premature aging and the only fix for that is painful surgical intervention. If that doesn't turn you off, then consider the fact that if exposed to uv rays, citrus fruit has a documented & consistent history of becoming photo toxic, meaning that if you use the juice as a toner in the morning, then spend time out in the sun, don't be surprised when you developed hyper pigmentation. It's better to make a toner with cucumber water, aloe vera, vegetable glycerine & a non-fragrant plant oil like olive, coconut or evening primrose oil.
It's so much safer to purchase a well formulated mask, toner or moisturizer from a respected brand. Just make sure you do your research. There's plenty of sites dedicated to keeping you safe. One of my favorites is www.beautypedia.com or www.thebeautybrains.com. Both are run by acclaimed cosmetic chemists with the sole intent of keeping you beautifully informed.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Typically people that go the lemon juice route are young, or newbies to the skincare world. And although it sounds amazing on paper, I wish people would quit encouraging the usage of straight lemon juice in skincare.

Rewinding a little bit, I am a long time skincare nerd. I have been using BHAs and AHAs for years. Not a fan of salicylic acid, but alpha hydroxy acids have my heart. Lemon juice = citric acid = alpha hydroxy acid. I totally understand the concept behind using lemon juice.

My issue with using lemon juice in skincare is:

-It's uncontrolled, vs a manufactured product that has set PH levels. You could very well disrupt your skin's acid mantle.

-Glycolic/lactic/mandelic acids are used a lot more commonly than citrus acids in chemical exfoliators. Personally for me, I find citrus does the least and yet irritates my skin the most. Lemon juice is abrasive.

-I'M NOT SEEING ENOUGH SKINCARE GURUS WARNING READERS THAT THEY NEED TO WEAR SUNSCREEN IF USING LEMON JUICE ON THEIR SKIN. That in itself can cause a bigger, new problem. Because AHAs = exfoliation = photosensitivity. Every bit of sun damage you are trying to undo with this "product", can just be intensified if the UVA rays make contact with your skin.

-It's a lot cheaper (and safer...and effective) to just buy a glycolic acid toner or retin a in the long run.

on 12/21/2015 3:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

It is NEVER a good idea to use lemon juice on your skin! The acidity of lemons throws off the balance of the PH of your skin. Lemons juice can do more harm than good.

Grind-up dried oatmeal flakes (also known as ‘rolled oats’ in supermarkets) and mix with some lemon juice. Spread this all over your face and neck as a mask and leave for about 20 minutes before rinsing off with water. The wheat in the oat has anti-inflammatory properties and as your probably know by now, lemon has brightening and acidic peel type properties. You might find you have gloops of porridge-looking substance by the end of it so you might have to do this over some newspaper so it doesn’t clog your sink pipes.

I have mild but unsightly dark spots on my chin as a result of hormonal acne which drives me nuts – I’m in my mid twenties and I’m pretty sure I had better skin when I was 18. I have just started using this and always feel so refreshed afterwards. For now I’m only doing this once or twice a week and using Dermologica as daily use. If this works I’m going to stop using expensive skin care products. Feels so liberating!

on 10/24/2015 8:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

You can squeeze 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice to 2 teaspoons of VitaE high potency
cream and stir with your finger until they blend in dark jar. Must be put back in fridge straight
after use. Use a small amount at night all over your face.and you will end up having beautiful
glowing skin. When making mixture make sure you use plastic teaspoon. Make fresh
mixture every week.
I am 72 yrs of age with great skin.

on 10/12/2015 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

Someone suggested I use this for hyperpigmentation. I'm surprised to see that it works very well and it works fast! I didn't have fresh lemon around so I started with bottled lemon juice and I'm quite happy with it.

I've been using it for 3 weeks mostly at night but sometimes I use it morning and night, and I leave it on for 20 minutes. It has significantly reduced the dark spots while many of them are completely gone. At night I use a good moisturizer and I always use an spf 50 sunscreen under my makeup for daytime.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

When I first started using lemons and lemon juice on my acne prone skin, I thought it was the best thing that I had ever tried. The lemon juice appeared to clear my skin very quickly and even lighten brown spots. It didn't last!

What I did not realize, was that the lemon juice was changing the ph of my skin and removing the natural protective barrier. I got some kind of very Nasty folliculitis, not long after and I still haven't been able to get rid of it completely.

It's a different type of skin infection and I have tried everything to deal with it. It's very deep and it's almost like it starts as a pimple and then turns into this stuff crust that covers every inch of the pore and will never, ever heal! I don't know what to do. I've tried antufungals, antibacterials, antibiotics, nizoral, everything! Has anyone else had this? What did you do about it? Thanks.