MAC Cosmetics Kohl Power - Mystery

No Image

3.6

on 11/13/2008 6:10:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I'm quite happy with this product and would repurchase =) Just as it's supposed to, this draws on as a teal black on my eyes. However, when I take a step back the line just looks black! I still like it because it's nicer than just a harsh black shade. So while I wish the shade could look a bit more teal than black, I'm good! Another good thing about this pencil is that it stays on my oily lids when paired with a base. Please note that I don't line my waterlines, just near the base of my lashes. And as frequently as I drop this pencil, it hasn't broken yet! Not quite holy grail status, but a trusty product!

on 8/15/2008 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I've never bought a backup for an eyeliner (don't use that much to begin with), but this one made me change my mind. It's a gorgeous blackened teal that goes really well with teal/blue/green eyeshadows (particularly Talent Pool from the Starflash collection and Blue Flame). The best part is that in certain lights, it looks different--one minute it's black, the next it's teal, the next it's dark teal. I know a lot of people have complained about smudging but I don't use it on my waterline, so maybe that is the difference.

on 7/28/2008 3:27:00 PM

beautiful color (repromote as part of starflash collection) but it did not last and it made my eyes tear -- both on the waterline and as a regular eyeliner. Sadly this is going back.

This is a wonderful dark teal color, that really shows up on my pale skin. I love how smooth the texture is, and how easy it is to apply. I only wish they would come out with more colors, and make some of them permanent.

on 10/20/2007 10:17:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have no problem with this liner running or smudging because...what else can you expect from a kohl liner? Actually this color looks black when you try it on your hand, but on my waterline it looks dark green. I think that is the accurate description of this color, a very dark green with some sparkle. I think the price for a liner is a little expensive...but overall it's a good product. My skin is very oily so I wouldn't blame the smudging entirely on the pencil. I find that putting some concealer on the waterline helps a little.

I saw swatches of this colour online and I fell in love, its such a beautiful soft black with some teal shimmer, thing is, when I swatch it in my hand its amazing, but in my eyes, there is hardly any teal and is not as black as I wanted it to be, plus it doesnt stay in the waterline at all, so quite a dissapointment for me. I still use it, but usually to go under eyeshadows or similar.. if MAC puts out an eyeshadow this colour, I would totally buy it :)

Mystery is one of MAC's new Kohl Power eyeliners, released with the Smoke Signals Collection (September 2007). First of all, Mystery, as the other reviewers have so aptly described, is a blackened teal with a slight, shimmery sheen. The color is absolutely gorgeous and a great alternative to black eyeliner, especially for the daytime. The shimmer is very subtle and totally wearable--not glittery at all. Mystery has a lovely soft texture and applies very smoothly, without tugging on the skin. My issue with this product is its staying power. Because it is so soft, it migrates off my eyes and onto everywhere else. I have to reapply this product several times a day for it to look as good as it did in the morning. This is definitely not a product to wear in the heat, out at night, or anywhere you may be sweating. For reference, I am NC20, MUFE Face and Body 20, hazel eyes, light brown hair.

on 9/9/2007 12:28:00 PM

My MA accidently gave me Orpheus instead of Mystery and when I got home and played with it, I did not like it at all! Then I noticed the switch. I now have Mystery and I love it. It's a beautiful steamy green that looks great lining my green shadows and it can go in the waterline. Yes, I would get it again if it was permanent, but I don't think I'll run out for a while!

on 9/4/2007 5:09:00 PM

The Color: I had to try this product a couple of times before I felt I could rate it based on how everyone gushed about it on the boards. This pencil is nothing special. On the hand it swatches a GORGEOUS shade of teal. On the lids, however, the color just does not show as a liner. The black tends to show through and you hardly see the teal shade at all. For those of you hoping for a multi-dimensional eyeliner, save your money. If you're looking for a black that isn't too black then this may be just fine for you.
The Wear: I haven't had as many problems getting this product to "stay" as other people have. It tends to last on me all day long, but looks dull. It will not stay on the waterline so don't even try it. It also irritated my eyes when I tried to line my waterline with it. This is definately a "upper lid only" sort of eyeliner.
Bottom Line: No, I would not purchase this Kohl again. I would get a liner from another brand or from a different formula from MAC. It's sort of worth the one time purchase, but for those of you who are going out of your way to find it because your counter ran out - save your time, your money, your gas, your sanity... etc. It's not worth it.
I am NC15 with blue-green eyes for reference. continued >>

on 8/30/2007 7:33:00 PM

I am in the like-it camp. I find the color is subtle, but definitely in the blackened teal range. It does smudge a bit, but I tried layering a little teal shadow, then re-applying, and it lasted all day. Even on the bottom, it wore well on me. It is different enough from Tarnish and my other dark greens that I'll get good use out of it.