MAC Kohl Power - Mystery

No Image

3.5

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This one is from the Night Divine 2013 winter collec. It applies
well with a nice soft smudgy texture. A nice blackened teal
green. Reminds me of an old Chanel eyeliner from the 90's
that was fabulous except the color of that one was off the charts.
The problem with this pencil is the smudge factor it does'nt quite
set and was smudged near my tear ducts within a few hours or less
of wear. Very pricey all most 20.00 USD with taxes I believe.
Skip it.

on 11/14/2012 2:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This kohl pencil is currently being re-promoted with the Holiday Glamour Daze collection. It's supposed to be a blackish teal but I get almost no color payoff... I did a quick swatch on the back of my hand and it was so dry and faint. I couldn't even imagine trying to get a visible line on my eyelid... I'd end up tugging so much. I literally never return things but I had to send this back because it would be the biggest waste of money. This was well reviewed in old reviews on this site so maybe the formula is different? I just can't even begin to understand how anyone could use this.

on 11/13/2008 6:10:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I'm quite happy with this product and would repurchase =) Just as it's supposed to, this draws on as a teal black on my eyes. However, when I take a step back the line just looks black! I still like it because it's nicer than just a harsh black shade. So while I wish the shade could look a bit more teal than black, I'm good! Another good thing about this pencil is that it stays on my oily lids when paired with a base. Please note that I don't line my waterlines, just near the base of my lashes. And as frequently as I drop this pencil, it hasn't broken yet! Not quite holy grail status, but a trusty product!

on 8/5/2008 10:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Lovely Lovely Lovely, my eyes pop and i get so many compliments
I used Delft Paint pot as a base
Lined my eyes with Mystery and blended it out
i used Grande Entrance Eyeshadow as a highlighter. Im so glad i bought this its the perfect color. Wish they would make this perm.

This is a wonderful dark teal color, that really shows up on my pale skin. I love how smooth the texture is, and how easy it is to apply. I only wish they would come out with more colors, and make some of them permanent.

I saw swatches of this colour online and I fell in love, its such a beautiful soft black with some teal shimmer, thing is, when I swatch it in my hand its amazing, but in my eyes, there is hardly any teal and is not as black as I wanted it to be, plus it doesnt stay in the waterline at all, so quite a dissapointment for me. I still use it, but usually to go under eyeshadows or similar.. if MAC puts out an eyeshadow this colour, I would totally buy it :)

on 9/18/2007 1:52:00 PM

(Review contains picture)

I bought this pencil in a whim, untested, just after reading the description in the MAC website. I got it via eBay, since it is (or wasn't) still available in Ireland.

I was a bit afraid after reading the reviews in MUA, since opinions seem a bit divided about it!

I am a LLL, neutral to warm, BB Sand or Ivory, Shiseido (Asia) OC-00 or OC-10 and Shu Uemura 574, just in case.

What do I have to say about this is: testing it on your hand is not reliable. I was really upset when I noticed that it showed like a run-of-the-mill pewter/silvery black eye pencil, and almost gave up.

However... Going out yesterday I have decided to use it the proper way: lining my eyes, that is.

What a lovely surprise! It is indeed the darkest and more elegant metallic teal eye liner you can possibly imagine! And it lasts and lasts. The texture is smooth, easily blendable and I did a smokey metallic eye. It was gorgeous, my eyes looked bigger and brighter. I did not use mascara though.

It is elegant, subtle and a wonderful substitute for the blacks and browns of life.

I also did not use any eye shadow, just that pencil, smudged and well-blended in my upper lash line. Really, really pretty. Now I am happy I bought it!

The only reason I would not buy it again is because I have far too many eye pencils and that one is going to last well, since it seems bigger than the normal ones. So, I will not need it. Otherwise, I would buy it with no hesitation.

Love it!

(Please click on "Continued" to see a swatch of Mystery...)

continued >>

Mystery is one of MAC's new Kohl Power eyeliners, released with the Smoke Signals Collection (September 2007). First of all, Mystery, as the other reviewers have so aptly described, is a blackened teal with a slight, shimmery sheen. The color is absolutely gorgeous and a great alternative to black eyeliner, especially for the daytime. The shimmer is very subtle and totally wearable--not glittery at all. Mystery has a lovely soft texture and applies very smoothly, without tugging on the skin. My issue with this product is its staying power. Because it is so soft, it migrates off my eyes and onto everywhere else. I have to reapply this product several times a day for it to look as good as it did in the morning. This is definitely not a product to wear in the heat, out at night, or anywhere you may be sweating. For reference, I am NC20, MUFE Face and Body 20, hazel eyes, light brown hair.

on 9/4/2007 5:09:00 PM

The Color: I had to try this product a couple of times before I felt I could rate it based on how everyone gushed about it on the boards. This pencil is nothing special. On the hand it swatches a GORGEOUS shade of teal. On the lids, however, the color just does not show as a liner. The black tends to show through and you hardly see the teal shade at all. For those of you hoping for a multi-dimensional eyeliner, save your money. If you're looking for a black that isn't too black then this may be just fine for you.
The Wear: I haven't had as many problems getting this product to "stay" as other people have. It tends to last on me all day long, but looks dull. It will not stay on the waterline so don't even try it. It also irritated my eyes when I tried to line my waterline with it. This is definately a "upper lid only" sort of eyeliner.
Bottom Line: No, I would not purchase this Kohl again. I would get a liner from another brand or from a different formula from MAC. It's sort of worth the one time purchase, but for those of you who are going out of your way to find it because your counter ran out - save your time, your money, your gas, your sanity... etc. It's not worth it.
I am NC15 with blue-green eyes for reference. continued >>

on 8/30/2007 2:51:00 PM

I'm very pale (NC15/20), but the pencil shows up as teal on me. It just requires about 18 million coats to get there -- otherwise it looks like a dull grey, kind of like with some black eyeliner pencils. But with enough elbow grease, it does look distinctly teal.

It's pretty enough and doesn't fade quick or rub off for me or anything, but it's not really a classic color that I'll use often, nor does it do anything spectacular for my greenish-greyish-kinda-hazel-but-not-really eyes. So I like it for now, but am unlikely to purchase it again. For now, though, I'm having fun with it.