MAC Kohl Power - Mystery

Filtered by skin tone : Other
No Image

on 11/15/2007 7:47:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Beautiful color, wonderful formula! I wish MAC would make all of these permanent, because they have usurped all others as my favorite eyeliners.

Loving this kohl e/l!! I have been a faithful fan of gel/ pot liners for as long as I can remember. I can't even recall how long ago it has been since I last used an e/l in pencil form, but when I was at MAC on the day Blue Storm and Smoke Signals came out my curiosity got the best of me. Mystery was the 1st kohl e/l that I grabbed and swatched it on the back of my hand...and it was "love at 1st sight". The duo chrome color combo of black and teal was gorgreous and I loved the way the teal color flickered in the light...even though I have had issues with staying power and smudging from any form of pencil liners in the past...I gave in and bought Mystery. Let me say I am not disappointed I did! For reference I have brown eyes and do not wear contacts...I used Mystery to line my upper lash line and it glided on so smoothly with no tugging or pulling. I then proceeded to line my bottom waterline and again it glided on effortlessly, although I did go over my waterline a couple times as I like my liner to stand out and be deeply defined. I then smudged my top lash line and I also lined just below my bottom waterline to lashline and it looked awesome! I was so pleased with the color payoff as I could see the duo chrome in the e/l...it wasn't flat or just black or just teal..It really made my brown eyes pop with color. I pair it w/ any color e/s I am wearing as it goes well w/ most any color...now as far as the staying power goes, it wore for the whole day with out pooling into the corners of my eyes, it didn't travel below my lashline and it pretty much stayed on my waterline most of the day...I have been wearing this e/l daily since I have bought it, and my gel/pot liners have been ignored for the time being. This e/l is so much more quicker to apply and the results are beautiful...I highly recommend it :) I will not repurchase as it is LE, but I have already swapped for a back-up...now I am off to swap the rest of the colors such as Feline, Raven, and Orpheus, as I am hoping they will give me the same results as Mystery has!

on 8/30/2007 7:33:00 PM

I am in the like-it camp. I find the color is subtle, but definitely in the blackened teal range. It does smudge a bit, but I tried layering a little teal shadow, then re-applying, and it lasted all day. Even on the bottom, it wore well on me. It is different enough from Tarnish and my other dark greens that I'll get good use out of it.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

After seeing swatches of this online, I had to have it! I swatched it on my own hand at the counter and even though the pencil looks teal, it's a blackened teal which blended out really nice on my hand. I was super excited to try this out when I got home as another smokey eye option. I applied it thick along my lashline, it applied really soft and smooth but it just looked, well, black, ok, "softer black." I used my smudge brush to blend it out in hopes that it would reveal it's true teal self. Nothing. It just looked like a really dark color on my lids.
Well, I tried it again with the same technique but instead, I blended it with a teal eyeshadow (L'Oreal Diva Down OTL). The color looked prettier, closer to the swatch and it blended very well but it was nothing special. Now I realize that I can create the same color by blend a teal eyeshadow with any black eyeliner to dupe this pencil. So back to the store it goes.
I'm Asian with dark eyes so I know that this would show up differently with someone who had a different coloring than me but for those who have problems with eyeliner looking darker on your eyes than swatched on your hand, it's not going to look as good on your eyes as it does on your hand. continued >>