MAC Kohl Power - Mystery

No Image

3.7

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

After seeing swatches of this online, I had to have it! I swatched it on my own hand at the counter and even though the pencil looks teal, it's a blackened teal which blended out really nice on my hand. I was super excited to try this out when I got home as another smokey eye option. I applied it thick along my lashline, it applied really soft and smooth but it just looked, well, black, ok, "softer black." I used my smudge brush to blend it out in hopes that it would reveal it's true teal self. Nothing. It just looked like a really dark color on my lids.
Well, I tried it again with the same technique but instead, I blended it with a teal eyeshadow (L'Oreal Diva Down OTL). The color looked prettier, closer to the swatch and it blended very well but it was nothing special. Now I realize that I can create the same color by blend a teal eyeshadow with any black eyeliner to dupe this pencil. So back to the store it goes.
I'm Asian with dark eyes so I know that this would show up differently with someone who had a different coloring than me but for those who have problems with eyeliner looking darker on your eyes than swatched on your hand, it's not going to look as good on your eyes as it does on your hand. continued >>

on 8/29/2007 6:04:00 PM

I just received my MAC Mystery, and swatched it with MAC Tarnish, and Chanel Black Jade. Between the Mystery and the Tarnish, I could not see any difference, except for the fact that Tarnish is an Eye Kohl and the Mystery is the Kohl Power Eye Pencil, so if this fact is important to you, then go with your preference. The Chanel Black Jade is very close, but at a certain angle, in a certain light, the Black Jade shows a bit more green (very dark green) than either the Mystery or the Tarnish. Since I own the MAC Tarnish and the Chanel Black Jade, I'm going to send this MAC Myster back.

on 8/30/2007 1:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Naaaahhhhh... I don't completely agree with my previous reviewers regarding my precious, Mystery, Kohl Power pencil. It doesn't smudge on my eyes (or should I say, "off of my eyes?") any worse than any other kohl pencils I own. Gals rave over Laura Mercier kohl eye pencils, and Clinique cream shaper pencils, and both of those brands are among the worst pencils I own becuz of their smudge-factor and lack-of-staying-power ability. (They are so undependable, I hardly use them anymore.)
I have worn the Mystery pencil UNDER MY EYES {gasp}, and it does NOT migrate and disappear any more so than any other kohl pencil I own! Matter-of-fact, except for MAC's other Kohl pencils and Powerpoints & Technakohls, I would say this Kohl Power pencil is just as good- if not BETTER, than kohl pencils from other makeup lines (especially the two brands I mentioned above).
As for the color... I think Mystery is gorgeous! Yes, I would agree when swiped alongside Tarnish (MAC Kohl pencil), the two are VERY similar! The only difference is, Tarnish has more of a forest green sparkle, while Mystery has more of a teal (or blue-green) sparkle. I personally like Mystery better. When I smudge it with my smudge brush, I can definitely see the teal shimmer- it does not appear to be just, "softer black," as a previous reviewer mentioned.
Unless I just happened to come upon a good batch of Mystery Kohl Power pencils, I think this is a good eyeliner pencil, a great color, and worth owning. I love how it brings out the green in my hazel eyes, and I am probably going to buy myself a back-up... since it is LE. continued >>

on 8/30/2007 8:00:00 AM

I have agree with the review below, this pencil looks like Tarnish however I want to add that it only appears similar on lighter skin (right now I'm C4) On much darker skin the aqua color is very visible. I tried it on a customer (NW50) and you could see the beautiful aqua color, no black at all.

on 8/30/2007 2:51:00 PM

I'm very pale (NC15/20), but the pencil shows up as teal on me. It just requires about 18 million coats to get there -- otherwise it looks like a dull grey, kind of like with some black eyeliner pencils. But with enough elbow grease, it does look distinctly teal.

It's pretty enough and doesn't fade quick or rub off for me or anything, but it's not really a classic color that I'll use often, nor does it do anything spectacular for my greenish-greyish-kinda-hazel-but-not-really eyes. So I like it for now, but am unlikely to purchase it again. For now, though, I'm having fun with it.

on 8/30/2007 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

GAHH!!!!! Why does this product have to be so beautiful but so crappy? I saw these and immediately grabbed 3 of the 4. These are duo chrome kohl liners that flash different colors in different light. I picked up Orpheus, Raven, and Mystery and skipped Feline since its just black. Can I tell you that Mystery is GORGEOUS. Its a blackened teal that looks mostly black but flashes teal. Its stunning. Unfortunately it also smudges and smears like CRAZY. I mean, within the first hour it started smudging underneath my eyes. Then it just continued all day long. I mean, what a mess! I was fixing underneath my eyes, wiping it up all day. It did stay put on the top lid, over shadow and a base but the bottom was a mess. I even wore my trusty Kiss Me mascara that does not ever smudge to make sure it was the liner and it is. Granted, i do have an oily eye area and have to wear gel liners to keep them on. And i live in humid South Florida which doesnt help either. But alas, this is going back to the store since i cant go around looking like this, eyeliner smudged all running down my eyes. I checked out the Raven, which is a blackened burgandy that flashes plum burgandy and havent tried the Orpheus. All three are going back. Released August 2007 and retail for $13.50.

on 8/30/2007 7:33:00 PM

I am in the like-it camp. I find the color is subtle, but definitely in the blackened teal range. It does smudge a bit, but I tried layering a little teal shadow, then re-applying, and it lasted all day. Even on the bottom, it wore well on me. It is different enough from Tarnish and my other dark greens that I'll get good use out of it.

on 9/3/2007 1:37:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I like this pencil but I have issues with pencils smudging I had to layer this one over my faithful maybelline expert eyes pencil (one that does NOT disappear on me).

I love the color of this pencil but I feel the pencil could have been softer maybe... where you don't have to draw so hard to get the pretty duo chrome effect or have to draw over so many times to get the effect. On delicate eye tissue they really should have made these pencils softer maybe like a power point or a technikohl.

I said i would buy again but i say that after only using the pencil a couple times, I would have to see how often i use these pencils (i bought all 4 kohl powers) I guess if worse comes to worse with these pencils i can use my eyeliner sealers on them to keep them in place (I have watery eyes so i need to use it with lots of stuff that isn't nearly as smudgy as a regular kohl)

on 9/4/2007 5:09:00 PM

The Color: I had to try this product a couple of times before I felt I could rate it based on how everyone gushed about it on the boards. This pencil is nothing special. On the hand it swatches a GORGEOUS shade of teal. On the lids, however, the color just does not show as a liner. The black tends to show through and you hardly see the teal shade at all. For those of you hoping for a multi-dimensional eyeliner, save your money. If you're looking for a black that isn't too black then this may be just fine for you.
The Wear: I haven't had as many problems getting this product to "stay" as other people have. It tends to last on me all day long, but looks dull. It will not stay on the waterline so don't even try it. It also irritated my eyes when I tried to line my waterline with it. This is definately a "upper lid only" sort of eyeliner.
Bottom Line: No, I would not purchase this Kohl again. I would get a liner from another brand or from a different formula from MAC. It's sort of worth the one time purchase, but for those of you who are going out of your way to find it because your counter ran out - save your time, your money, your gas, your sanity... etc. It's not worth it.
I am NC15 with blue-green eyes for reference. continued >>

Loving this kohl e/l!! I have been a faithful fan of gel/ pot liners for as long as I can remember. I can't even recall how long ago it has been since I last used an e/l in pencil form, but when I was at MAC on the day Blue Storm and Smoke Signals came out my curiosity got the best of me. Mystery was the 1st kohl e/l that I grabbed and swatched it on the back of my hand...and it was "love at 1st sight". The duo chrome color combo of black and teal was gorgreous and I loved the way the teal color flickered in the light...even though I have had issues with staying power and smudging from any form of pencil liners in the past...I gave in and bought Mystery. Let me say I am not disappointed I did! For reference I have brown eyes and do not wear contacts...I used Mystery to line my upper lash line and it glided on so smoothly with no tugging or pulling. I then proceeded to line my bottom waterline and again it glided on effortlessly, although I did go over my waterline a couple times as I like my liner to stand out and be deeply defined. I then smudged my top lash line and I also lined just below my bottom waterline to lashline and it looked awesome! I was so pleased with the color payoff as I could see the duo chrome in the e/l...it wasn't flat or just black or just teal..It really made my brown eyes pop with color. I pair it w/ any color e/s I am wearing as it goes well w/ most any color...now as far as the staying power goes, it wore for the whole day with out pooling into the corners of my eyes, it didn't travel below my lashline and it pretty much stayed on my waterline most of the day...I have been wearing this e/l daily since I have bought it, and my gel/pot liners have been ignored for the time being. This e/l is so much more quicker to apply and the results are beautiful...I highly recommend it :) I will not repurchase as it is LE, but I have already swapped for a back-up...now I am off to swap the rest of the colors such as Feline, Raven, and Orpheus, as I am hoping they will give me the same results as Mystery has!