MAC Cosmetics Kohl Power - Mystery

No Image

4.2

on 11/15/2007 7:47:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Beautiful color, wonderful formula! I wish MAC would make all of these permanent, because they have usurped all others as my favorite eyeliners.

on 9/18/2007 1:52:00 PM

(Review contains picture)

I bought this pencil in a whim, untested, just after reading the description in the MAC website. I got it via eBay, since it is (or wasn't) still available in Ireland.

I was a bit afraid after reading the reviews in MUA, since opinions seem a bit divided about it!

I am a LLL, neutral to warm, BB Sand or Ivory, Shiseido (Asia) OC-00 or OC-10 and Shu Uemura 574, just in case.

What do I have to say about this is: testing it on your hand is not reliable. I was really upset when I noticed that it showed like a run-of-the-mill pewter/silvery black eye pencil, and almost gave up.

However... Going out yesterday I have decided to use it the proper way: lining my eyes, that is.

What a lovely surprise! It is indeed the darkest and more elegant metallic teal eye liner you can possibly imagine! And it lasts and lasts. The texture is smooth, easily blendable and I did a smokey metallic eye. It was gorgeous, my eyes looked bigger and brighter. I did not use mascara though.

It is elegant, subtle and a wonderful substitute for the blacks and browns of life.

I also did not use any eye shadow, just that pencil, smudged and well-blended in my upper lash line. Really, really pretty. Now I am happy I bought it!

The only reason I would not buy it again is because I have far too many eye pencils and that one is going to last well, since it seems bigger than the normal ones. So, I will not need it. Otherwise, I would buy it with no hesitation.

Love it!

(Please click on "Continued" to see a swatch of Mystery...)

continued >>

on 9/9/2007 12:28:00 PM

My MA accidently gave me Orpheus instead of Mystery and when I got home and played with it, I did not like it at all! Then I noticed the switch. I now have Mystery and I love it. It's a beautiful steamy green that looks great lining my green shadows and it can go in the waterline. Yes, I would get it again if it was permanent, but I don't think I'll run out for a while!

on 8/30/2007 7:33:00 PM

I am in the like-it camp. I find the color is subtle, but definitely in the blackened teal range. It does smudge a bit, but I tried layering a little teal shadow, then re-applying, and it lasted all day. Even on the bottom, it wore well on me. It is different enough from Tarnish and my other dark greens that I'll get good use out of it.

on 8/30/2007 1:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Naaaahhhhh... I don't completely agree with my previous reviewers regarding my precious, Mystery, Kohl Power pencil. It doesn't smudge on my eyes (or should I say, "off of my eyes?") any worse than any other kohl pencils I own. Gals rave over Laura Mercier kohl eye pencils, and Clinique cream shaper pencils, and both of those brands are among the worst pencils I own becuz of their smudge-factor and lack-of-staying-power ability. (They are so undependable, I hardly use them anymore.)
I have worn the Mystery pencil UNDER MY EYES {gasp}, and it does NOT migrate and disappear any more so than any other kohl pencil I own! Matter-of-fact, except for MAC's other Kohl pencils and Powerpoints & Technakohls, I would say this Kohl Power pencil is just as good- if not BETTER, than kohl pencils from other makeup lines (especially the two brands I mentioned above).
As for the color... I think Mystery is gorgeous! Yes, I would agree when swiped alongside Tarnish (MAC Kohl pencil), the two are VERY similar! The only difference is, Tarnish has more of a forest green sparkle, while Mystery has more of a teal (or blue-green) sparkle. I personally like Mystery better. When I smudge it with my smudge brush, I can definitely see the teal shimmer- it does not appear to be just, "softer black," as a previous reviewer mentioned.
Unless I just happened to come upon a good batch of Mystery Kohl Power pencils, I think this is a good eyeliner pencil, a great color, and worth owning. I love how it brings out the green in my hazel eyes, and I am probably going to buy myself a back-up... since it is LE. continued >>

on 8/29/2007 6:04:00 PM

I just received my MAC Mystery, and swatched it with MAC Tarnish, and Chanel Black Jade. Between the Mystery and the Tarnish, I could not see any difference, except for the fact that Tarnish is an Eye Kohl and the Mystery is the Kohl Power Eye Pencil, so if this fact is important to you, then go with your preference. The Chanel Black Jade is very close, but at a certain angle, in a certain light, the Black Jade shows a bit more green (very dark green) than either the Mystery or the Tarnish. Since I own the MAC Tarnish and the Chanel Black Jade, I'm going to send this MAC Myster back.