MAC Cosmetics Kohl Power - Mystery

No Image

3.3

on 4/10/2009 6:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

YUM!! MAC really hit a homerun with this bad boy!! Mystery was Limited Edition with the Smoke Signals colleciton, and given my weakness for anything teal or deep blue green, it was a pretty sure bet this bad boy would become part of my stash! Mystery is gorgeous .. Similar to Tarnish eye kohl ... but with shimmer. it's a dark sooty blackened blue/green that just looks amazing! It applies smoothly and lasts pretty well. A must have if you like tarnish!

on 11/13/2008 6:10:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I'm quite happy with this product and would repurchase =) Just as it's supposed to, this draws on as a teal black on my eyes. However, when I take a step back the line just looks black! I still like it because it's nicer than just a harsh black shade. So while I wish the shade could look a bit more teal than black, I'm good! Another good thing about this pencil is that it stays on my oily lids when paired with a base. Please note that I don't line my waterlines, just near the base of my lashes. And as frequently as I drop this pencil, it hasn't broken yet! Not quite holy grail status, but a trusty product!

on 8/9/2008 8:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

Gorgeous color: blackish teal. Smooth application and sadly, too much smearing. These Kohl Powers have nice colors but awful staying-power. I am disappointed that it does not stay put on my waterline, as others have said. Also, it tends to wear off rather quickly even when used as an eyeliner above eye. I've also noticed my eyes seem to water more when I've worn it. I've worn it three times and I don't like the irritation or the raccoon effect. I will return this product, unfortunately.

on 7/28/2008 3:27:00 PM

beautiful color (repromote as part of starflash collection) but it did not last and it made my eyes tear -- both on the waterline and as a regular eyeliner. Sadly this is going back.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I love this pencil, it's so far my favorite of the Kohl Power line (I also have Raven and Orpheus is on it's way). Upon hearing about it I thought it would be too much like Tealo, but in reality it's nothing like it. Tealo is a charcoal-teal, much more blackened than Mystery, and without the lovely shimmer of Mystery. Tealo is flat; this is not. It's a lovely shimmery dark teal... not quite black and not quite teal but somewhere in between. These seem to be "heavier" in texture, or something, because they don't budge on my upper lid, but this one in particular does smudge a bit by the end of the day on my lower lashline. (I use a primer on my upper lids, but nothing on the lower lashline so I'll try priming that area next time). Even so, it doesn't look bad and I would repurchase if they re-release these, but I don't think I'll have to anytime soon because they seem larger than MAC's other pencils so I suspect it will last me awhile, especially since I don't need to reapply all the time.

Loving this kohl e/l!! I have been a faithful fan of gel/ pot liners for as long as I can remember. I can't even recall how long ago it has been since I last used an e/l in pencil form, but when I was at MAC on the day Blue Storm and Smoke Signals came out my curiosity got the best of me. Mystery was the 1st kohl e/l that I grabbed and swatched it on the back of my hand...and it was "love at 1st sight". The duo chrome color combo of black and teal was gorgreous and I loved the way the teal color flickered in the light...even though I have had issues with staying power and smudging from any form of pencil liners in the past...I gave in and bought Mystery. Let me say I am not disappointed I did! For reference I have brown eyes and do not wear contacts...I used Mystery to line my upper lash line and it glided on so smoothly with no tugging or pulling. I then proceeded to line my bottom waterline and again it glided on effortlessly, although I did go over my waterline a couple times as I like my liner to stand out and be deeply defined. I then smudged my top lash line and I also lined just below my bottom waterline to lashline and it looked awesome! I was so pleased with the color payoff as I could see the duo chrome in the e/l...it wasn't flat or just black or just teal..It really made my brown eyes pop with color. I pair it w/ any color e/s I am wearing as it goes well w/ most any color...now as far as the staying power goes, it wore for the whole day with out pooling into the corners of my eyes, it didn't travel below my lashline and it pretty much stayed on my waterline most of the day...I have been wearing this e/l daily since I have bought it, and my gel/pot liners have been ignored for the time being. This e/l is so much more quicker to apply and the results are beautiful...I highly recommend it :) I will not repurchase as it is LE, but I have already swapped for a back-up...now I am off to swap the rest of the colors such as Feline, Raven, and Orpheus, as I am hoping they will give me the same results as Mystery has!

on 9/3/2007 1:37:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I like this pencil but I have issues with pencils smudging I had to layer this one over my faithful maybelline expert eyes pencil (one that does NOT disappear on me).

I love the color of this pencil but I feel the pencil could have been softer maybe... where you don't have to draw so hard to get the pretty duo chrome effect or have to draw over so many times to get the effect. On delicate eye tissue they really should have made these pencils softer maybe like a power point or a technikohl.

I said i would buy again but i say that after only using the pencil a couple times, I would have to see how often i use these pencils (i bought all 4 kohl powers) I guess if worse comes to worse with these pencils i can use my eyeliner sealers on them to keep them in place (I have watery eyes so i need to use it with lots of stuff that isn't nearly as smudgy as a regular kohl)

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

GAHH!!!!! Why does this product have to be so beautiful but so crappy? I saw these and immediately grabbed 3 of the 4. These are duo chrome kohl liners that flash different colors in different light. I picked up Orpheus, Raven, and Mystery and skipped Feline since its just black. Can I tell you that Mystery is GORGEOUS. Its a blackened teal that looks mostly black but flashes teal. Its stunning. Unfortunately it also smudges and smears like CRAZY. I mean, within the first hour it started smudging underneath my eyes. Then it just continued all day long. I mean, what a mess! I was fixing underneath my eyes, wiping it up all day. It did stay put on the top lid, over shadow and a base but the bottom was a mess. I even wore my trusty Kiss Me mascara that does not ever smudge to make sure it was the liner and it is. Granted, i do have an oily eye area and have to wear gel liners to keep them on. And i live in humid South Florida which doesnt help either. But alas, this is going back to the store since i cant go around looking like this, eyeliner smudged all running down my eyes. I checked out the Raven, which is a blackened burgandy that flashes plum burgandy and havent tried the Orpheus. All three are going back. Released August 2007 and retail for $13.50.