Etat Libre D'Orange Rien

Filtered by skin type : Combination

3.0

I get a lot of incense. The only incense I like is in nuit de noel where its v gentle. Rien's incense is very burn-y, hot and dry. There is an animal note. I think it's civet. This frag. is like being trapped in a garage while someone in cracked leather revs a motorbike. That does give way to rose and powder, which is weird.
I was looking for a musk. I prefer musc nomade or kiehl's musk.
This is worth a try if you like demeter or diptyque or passage d'enfer. It has that austere, asexual, I'm-so-cool thing going on.
Do not blind buy this.

Spent a lovely hour or so with the SA in the Marais shop. This one right pulled me in right away and I walked out with a bottle. Rien is definitely not "rien" as others have said. To me it is initially very green and reminiscent of much of the sillage of the original CD Jules which my grandfather wore in the 80's. He wore a big black leather jacket and the smell of that leather and Jules' bracing vetyver fougere slap is very much what Rien is about. It's BIG. It also shares DNA with Lancome's original Magie Noire and Musc Tonkin of Parfumerie Generale. You see where this is going? There's a very strong 80's vibe to this one and unless you have the context (either by having worn these scents yourself or been around them way back when , or by having studied them) you are going to have a difficult time appreciating this scent. It's absolutely not an easy crowd-pleaser and does not beckon to be loved and snuggled up against. Think more of a punk rock, pointy leather boot and anti-establishment vibe, but in a very polished manner.
Here's the thing: It works in Paris. Particularly in Paris winter. Melds beautifully with cold damp air, coats and scarves and layers of cashmere. And , even, cigarette smoke. It needs to be worn by someone who is very comfortable in their own skin and makes very little apologies. There is a total drop dead sexiness to it, but only in small doses and in the right context. Angelica Huston could rock this baby. I cannot wear it to work, and back home in northern California it doesn't quite *fit*. But I love it in small doses.

Popular Fragrances