China Glaze Lubu Heels

China Glaze Lubu Heels
Lubu HeelsLubu HeelsLubu HeelsWet n Wild Prancer over China Glaze Lubu HeelsEnter Title

3.9

on 10/20/2016 8:43:00 AM

Lubu Heels is a sheer grey/black base loaded with fine, red glitter. Due to its sheerness, it's best worn over a black, cream polish. If you love dark nails, but want something a little unusual, try Lubu Heels - it adds beautiful depth.

I applied two coats of LH over 1 coat of black polish (Eve Snow LBD). I must have been overly generous with my coats, as it took much longer than usual to dry.

I also own OPI Midnight in Moscow, which is pretty similar, but Lubu Heels is a clear winner for me. In LH the glitter is noticeable, whereas MinM just looks black on me and I can just about spot variation in direct, bright lighting.

I'd read a lot of rave reviews for this polish, so I was excited to finally get my hands on a bottle.

Unfortunately it didn't live up to the hype for me. To get it to look any good has been trial & error & frankly too much work. The formula is very runny & thin, leaving only a VERY sheer first coat. I found the best thing to do is always do a coat of black polish first, then follow with 1-2 coats of Lubu. You'll also DEFINITELY need a glossy topcoat if you want it to shine as it dries extremely 'flat' & looks sort of 'muddy' without a topcoat slicked over. The topcoat saves it, making for a dark, subtle glitter finish. It also dries quite quckly, which is always a plus. The glitter shows up best in the sunlight but is hardly visible at night. To cap it off, it's hard to remove & leaves me with glittery stained fingers.

I LOVE China Glaze & rarely don't like one of their polishes, but for me this one was a disappointment. Too much work for an underwhelming result. Wouldn't repurchase.

on 10/5/2013 8:18:00 AM

Yes, this polish is very sheer but still beautiful. I put two coats over a black or dark gray base. Also, it becomes much easier to take off when you do that. I also have Ruby Pumps, another gorgeous color!! I get a lot of compliments when I wear both of them.

This polish made me so excited when I first received it. The red glitter in it looked so good in the bottle, but as I put the first coat on and it was almost completely sheer I was starting to get disappointed. It took 3 coats for me to get it completely opaque and as another reviewer stated it was very difficult to get the red to show up anywhere but direct sunlight. It just looked like a poor quality black polish. It was also a pain to get this polish off and it stained my nails. I wanted to like it so bad but it just didn't work for me.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This was my first China Glaze nail polish. It looked great in the bottle, however, when applied it was very streaky. Another disappointment for me is that unless in direct sunlight, it looked like a sloppy black nail polish. It was a bit tricky to work with the polish as well. Love the idea of red glitter in a black polish, but I think China Glaze needs to work on their formula. I'd recommend most China Glaze polishes, but this is one I would steer clear of.

on 3/23/2013 6:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

If you already have Ruby Pumps, just apply it 2 coats over a any black nail polish and there you have Lubu Heels. Simple and easy. Save your pennies.

on 3/20/2013 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I normally HATE glitter nail polishes, but this one is absolutely beautiful!! I think it is really not a color for toes, but it's just perfect for tips, specially against fair skin. As the other reviewers have said, once you apply it, it looks very different from how it does in the bottle: the glitter isn't very visible unless in direct light, mostly it looks like a very glossy nearly black polish. It's not very easy to work with, but I could have gotten away with two coats if I had been more careful or if my nails were shorter. The color is amazing anyway, and I'd surely repurchase and recommend to anyone whole likes dark, vampy nail polishes.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

This isn't a bad polish but it's just missing that special something. You would think a black jelly with red glitter with be stunning. But I personally found it just fell flat on the nail in most lighting.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium

A beautiful red microglitter in a black jelly base. In the bottle, it looks much more vivid and red than it looks on the nails. Make no mistake, this is a very dark polish, and it's more black than red. The microglitter is subtle, and only visible in certain kinds of light.

First coat is pretty streaky and sketchy, and I need an absolute minimum of two coats for good coverage. If you want absolute and even opacity, you might want to put two coats of this over a basic black.

The tip wear isn't great with this, but I've found that to be the case with a lot of jelly based polishes, unfortunately, and I tend to be rough on my nail tips because I type a lot. I generally can't get more than four days without really feeling like I need to remove the polish because the tips are so visibly worn, but as I tend not to let a manicure go much longer than five days anyway (I get bored and want to try something new), it's not a huge issue for me, just annoying.

Also should add that this removes easily, without the usual hassle associated with glitter nail polishes. Bonus!

DUPE ALERT: Recently was going through my collection, testing, swatching, and weeding out, and found that Color Club Red Velvet is pretty much an exact dupe for Lubu Heels, but with a slightly better formula (IMHO).

China Glaze is pretty awesome for many reasons: color selection, color payoff, durability, finish and trends.

Lubu Heels is a mostly translucent black with tiny red sparkles. This is amazing over a base coat of black. The sparkles are so tiny and sparkly that they're a hidden gem to the color. This isn't for use on it's own, in my opinion. It's just a bit too sheer and looks muddy on it's own. I haven't tried it over red, but I really should. I think it would be awesome.

Popular Polishes