NARS Duo Cream - Madagascar

NARS Duo Cream - Madagascar

3.8

on 9/28/2010 11:12:00 PM

I have only been using this product a short while and when i initially opened it i thought i was going to hate it! I had ordered it online and the colour just wasn't what i was expecting. However, i find the colours work really well to highlight blue eyes and it has great staying power. I do use concealer on my lids so possibly this is the reason why it stays well and has a good pigmentation on me.

The consistency is creamy and luxurious and it is fool proof to apply. I do not use a brush - just my fingers tips. Here in Australia, Nars is almost prohibitvely expensive, but with the dollar so good, buying from the US, even with shipping is great value.

on 11/21/2009 10:11:00 AM

Beautiful duo. Complements my brown eyes & complexion nicely. Both colors are great together. I don't have dry lids, but I wear this duo by itself, not layered with other products, so I experience no creasing. The shadows do fade throughout the day, but it's easy to pop in the purse and reapply with my fingers. Love this for days I travel or am in a rush. Does not dry out my lids, which is important to me. Especially good in the colder months, when I go through one duo very quickly.

on 10/4/2008 3:38:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I reach for this over and over. It's such a beautiful palette w/ 2 beautiful subtle colors. It's luxurious and practical at the same time. I wear beige color on my lid when I want to go natural and add the darker plummy-brown color as the day goes on. It's very buildable and goes on incredibly smooth.
The only problem is even with a primer, it seems to slide off from the lids if you perspire even the slightest bit. I live in LA so I am not sure if cream eyeshadow is the best option for me.
I think I will stick to new found love, dior powder shadow.

on 1/13/2009 6:33:00 PM

love this color combo. this is one of my new favorites!

on 9/28/2008 6:09:00 AM

Francoise Nars, I love you, but this is just....meh. Bleh. The colour is non-existent on my lids and then I layer it and layer it and it goes from nothing to suddenly FAKE. Like weird, corpse-like / weird taupe / strange...UGLY.
I tried desperately since I am the NARS junkie to make it work and went to the SA and said, how do I do this and she tried...but still. Meh. Might work for someone else and it would make an ok base...but with so many awesome NARS colours and combos, why settle for blah? Might work on darker, warmer skin-tones...but pale gals like me, forget it.

on 9/5/2009 6:53:00 PM

Didn't like it at the beginning after bought, and one day suddenly found its beauty with a bit mix n' match. So have to justify this cream eye shadow here.

It doesn't show much itself on the lid if only use this duo, but tried using fingertip to apply the taupe colour smudging onto a thick line of black eyeliner, the gorgeous low profile taupe shimmer shows up immediately. Then reapply another layer of eyeliner on top of it to emphasize the liner.

If you have oily lids, can try a layer of powder e/s on top, I use similar taupey colour MAC Style Snob on top, they just perfect together. Love it so much, will buy it again.

I specifically was looking for a two-color cream shadow compact that I could apply with a finger, when I was in a hurry and didn't want to put on my usual brush & powder shadow routine. Like when you have to put on your m/u in the car in the parking lot before a meeting. First, there are not many double color cream shadows, so NARS was a winner in this category. Next, deciding which duo to choose. I found Summer Time too shimmery and fair to make a difference on my complexion, and I chose Madagascar. The "satin nude" (as described on Sephora) is almost like a base; it is almost the color of my skin. I'd have preferred something a little lighter for more contrast. But I'm working with this, because of the other fabulous considerations, such as color #2 - "shimmering taupe." Very nice beigy brown - it works for me every day, even when I have time to apply with a real brush, at home and am not using it as a quick fix.

Like other reviewers, I have some problems with midday creasing, but I think it's because my routine does not include a primer. (have UDPP on my wishlist...) What I do... smear my finger across the eyelid to uncrease it, once a day. Works for me. :)

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This is a duo, creme eyeshadow by NARS in a pale pinky beige on the left and a grayish-taupe on the right. The consistency is not very impactful - it takes a decent amount of product to see much effect on my eyelids, but i also am darker skinned so it takes more for me usually anyhow.
The pale beige isn't really useful to me, but i like it for evening out tone. Also, it worked (don't flame me!) as a base layer for my lips!! It doesn't dry them and it was just...so handy...
The right side color, the taupe, is a grayish hue with shimmer, but isn't as cool as gray. Hard to explain, but it has a warmth to it that makes it really resonate as a subtle pop to your lid. It is unfortunately somewhat thin in coverage, and doesn't have a lasting effect like maybe a Stila shimmer would have.
I have a Stila powder shadow that was in my Fierce Femme Auburn palette and it is SO impactful and strong as a color. It's very "soft" for a powder shadow...and it kicks the butt of this shadow in that respect.
But this is great for a work look, where you don't want a heavy, night eye.
The price of NARS shadows is a bit ridiculous IMO. I got this in a lovely swap, so i was spared, but i think the cost is just too high. I do love the NARS packaging for it's compact-sleekness and durability.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

NARS cream shadows aren't really too thin or too thick. They are the perfect consistency. However, they are just not dry enough. The last hardly a few minutes. If your eyelids are dry, you may be able to use the NARS cream shadows under another shadow. to seriously intensify the color. But, i wouldn't recommend ever using NARS cream shadows alone.

One side of Madagascar is a light neutral pinky shade thats pretty good at evening out the eyelid. The other shade is VERY similar to Corfu (You may notice nars has a lot of repetitive shades in the singles and duos) however it is slightly more grayish. Its a shimmery taupey with a hint of bronze.

on 1/3/2008 4:14:00 PM

Returned this piece of junk. I wasn't crazy about the color on the left (the pinkish one) but I LOVED the taupey color on the right. It is absolutely gorgeous, both in the compact and on the eye. The problem? Creases like nothing I've ever seen. I generally never have issues with shadows creasing, even creams, but within 30 minutes (with UDPP under it) there was a bit fat crease where my eye creases. I tried applying less, more, with a brush, with my fingers, using it as a base and putting a powder shadow over it, NOTHING made it last for more than an hour!! WTF?