MAC Paint Pot - Groundwork

MAC Paint Pot - Groundwork

4.5

Isodocecane, dimethicone, polyethylene, hydrogenated polyisobutene, quaternium-90 bentonite, dimethicone silylate, octyldodecanol, silica, trihydroxystearin, retinyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, lecithin, carnauba wax, propylene carbonate, triethoxycaprylylsilane. May contain: mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, bismuth oxychloride, blue 1 lake, carmine, chromium hydroxide green, chromium oxide greens ferric ferroxyanide, manganese violet, ultramarines, yellow 5 lake.

on 1/13/2016 5:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

So glad I picked this up. I love the consistency of this cream shadow. It is almost matte, but more like a satin. It doesn't dry my eyes out. The color is a neutral-warm brown on me and looks great on its own with my blue eyes. I use this as a one-color wash, blended into the crease and smudged into the lower lashline. I also like to put this on the lid and dab a shimmery pink-ish shadow on top of it. I like Mac Vintage Selection paint pot or Stila Kitten best. It warms my eyes up and makes for a beautiful simple eye.

I bought this product at the duty free when my flight got delayed with zero expectations; Mac products are a bit of hit and miss with me. But this one works and how, it covers my veiny eyelids and gives a very polished look. with the weather turning cold I have started smudging this under the eyes (Lower lash line) and tight lining it with EL Doublewear pencil in coffee, maximum impact with minimal effort.
I do screw on the lid very tightly and store it upside down because I fear it will dry out. There is a lot of product and I doubt I will run out anytime soon, in all probability it will dry out before I hit pan.

To Read all 132 Reviews, Login or Join

on 8/21/2014 10:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I use groundwork as a crease colour and was surprised at how creamy this product is! When I think of budge proof and long lasting make up I expect it to be horribly dry and matte, definitely not this! It is so gorgeous and creamy and doesn't drag on the skin in the slightest, it is about 90% matte and 10% just natural, but as it dries it goes more matte and will not budge. It is definitely a warm brown/bronzey colour, definitely not a boring grey, it will make green eyes pop especially! Such a diverse colour, I love it!

on 7/1/2014 4:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is a go-to crease color for me. I've had a few paint pots in the past but never really fell in love with them until I got the 217 brush, then it completely changed how I felt about them. I use the 217 and just do a light sweep into my crease and all the sudden I have natural, soft looking definition, which is great since I have hooded eyes and I prefer a lighter touch with crease colors.

Beautiful neutral brown that works with everything. It never pulls ruddy or dirty looking. I can build it up easily and it doesn't look cakey. Feels creamy but thin and lightweight. I swear this little jar is going to last forever I barely need any each time I use it. And as long as I keep the lid closed tightly it doesn't feel any drier than when I bought it a year ago.

Love!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

You tend to forget just how lovely a new jar of Paint Pot is - so creamy smooth and soft. I've got a jar of Painterly that is several years old and while it's still going strong, it's not as smooth as when it was young (well, who among us is?). So when I opened this new jar of Groundwork - a lovely soft taupey light brown - I was thrilled by its texture and the smooth, easy application. This is a great shadow for a simple, every day, workplace perfect look. Groundwork on the lid with either pencil liner (smudged) or a darker shadow smudged along my lash line and something slightly darker to define the crease and I feel polished and appropriate.

The great thing about all of the Paint Pots that I've used is that they don't crease and last all day long and work either as shadows in their own right or as terrific bases for other eye shadows. For example, Cargo Yukon or Stila Grace applied over Groundwork makes a lovely effect with very pretty sheen. Nars Kalahari really comes to life if I use Groundwork as a base. And whatever shadow you apply on top will also last for a good 10 hours or more.

on 3/30/2014 5:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

LOVE THIS. I think mac's description of if is accurate, it is a soft medium brown with a taupe undertone. I got this a little over a year ago and it's still as creamy as the day I got it. I put this as a 4 for price because you get SOO much product and you only need a little for each use. This will last you a while before you need to repurchase. $20 does seem like a little much at first but when you think about what you're getting its not so bad. I love using this on the lid with Charcoal Brown eyeshadow (MAC) in the crease for a "naked" eye. You can also tightline or waterline with some black or brown liner for a little drama. I personally don't use this as a base just because I rarely use a base. I let my eye primer do that then just apply shadow. However, I am NC45 and I can tell this would be a good base for women of color. With that being said, women with a deeper complexion may find this too light to use a base. Packaging is standard Mac, classy looking glass with a black lid. Great product.

on 2/15/2014 8:40:00 PM

I bought this at the MAC counter recently and I can see myself using this quite often. It can be used on its own or as an eyeshadow base. I'm a MAC NW20 and this compliments my skin tone really well, plus it looks great underneath the neutral taupe, brown and champagne eyeshadow shades I usually wear. I've been wearing it over Milani's Eyeshadow Primer and it lasts all day with zero creasing or fading away. MAC's website has this listed as a taupe but honestly, to me it seems like more of a soft brown color with just a hint of taupe. There IS a hint of shimmer to it as well, but it doesn't overwhelm the color which I really like. Overall I'd say this is a product to go for, my only issue with this is the eyeshadow does seem a bit dry but that's not as much of an issue when I apply it with my fingers or a concealer brush.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

You know when people have slight natural darkness on the lids but it's like perfectly placed and grungy-trendy?

This gives me that! It's just a shade of two deeper than my skintone (NC20) and gorgeously taupey-brown hued. Applied with the ring finger and paired with a black tightline on the upper lashes and tons of mascara, it's the perfect effortless everyday smokey eye. Add a little taupe in the crease and black shadow along the lashline and outer corner, and you're ready for a night out.

Groundwork was a surprise love for me. I ordered online - not sure of what the outcome would be. It's a lovely basic and can be worn alone or as a base with eyeshadow over. I use a brush to apply and it goes on smoothly. Alone it's a nice subtle wash of color and provides a polish... with eyeshadow it can add dimension. I thought it would be darker than it is. On me it's just a nice added something - not overly dark at all and certainly not *too* much. I am a NW20 and can be a tad darker than that.

on 5/26/2013 4:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Love it! When I wear this alone, for a low maintenance look, it evens out my eye skin tone with just a hit of a glow. There is no shimmer! It is not too light or dark, and it is not bronzy. Perfect for me! I figure I will get two years out of it as I did with painterly before the lovely creamy consistency dries out a bit. Nc40 girl here!