Cacharel Anais Anais

3.5

Due to my sensitive skin, I'm hesitant to try most perfumes (the first one I tried was Fantasy by Britney Spears in middle school and I broke out in hives). I found this in my mom's closet and she let me have it. This is a great smelling perfume. Despite being loved by all the moms out there who reminisce over it, I actually find it really classy and timeless. It's not one of those perfumes that says "notice me, I'm trying to seduce you", but it's just a really tasteful and sensual scent. I spritz this on right before going into the office to cover any sweat, and get so many compliments from my coworkers. I know that perfumes are usually a no-no in the work place, but since this doesn't irritate my extremely sensitive skin, none of my colleagues have complained about perfume allergies either.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

So I guess you can see from all the reviews with similar stories, this is a Mom-approved fragrance for girls just starting their perfume journeys. My own mother gave me a bottle as a young teen, probably out of fear that I would select something with my untrained nose that would make me smell like a tramp. Anais Anais a powdery white floral with low sillage, very classy and understated. The bottle is also very pretty and certainly fit in with my room's decor when I was a girl. This perfume's reputation for portraying innocence is ironic given that it's named for an erotica author. I wouldn't hesitate to wear this again, although I no longer consider it my signature scent (if I ever did - somewhere in the back of my mind, this was always a Mother-pleasing scent for me).

An enduring love, classic and unmistakable. It was gifted to me at age 13 and is still perfect for me at age 45.

Created in 1977, this fragrance was (and still is) a trailblazer in its juxtaposition of heady lily and hyacinth with dry, green, leathery chypre notes; all magically adding up to a very soft and delicate, dry but tenuous, take on white flowers. The original, quaintly sexual ad campaign, with its pink-cheeked nymphs in gauzy lingerie floating in a delicate Limoges-ceramic-painted world, was weirdly out of step with (for example) Opium's blaring vulgarity and Charlie's power-suited feminism. In the "Guide to Perfumes," Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez give Anais Anais 4 stars and call it "curiously prim," "soapy," and "utterly memorable." Yep.

I know Anais Anais suffered from some reformulations over the years, finally to be reborn (still under Cacharel) as "Anais Anais L'Original" about 5 years ago. The large cylindrical cap was replaced by a bulb-shaped metallic cap, and the label design was altered. I haven't sampled this latest version myself, but it generally gets very good reviews on fragrance review sites (Basenotes, Fragrantica) as being quite close to the original release.
I own a large splash bottle of EDT, manufactured directly by Cacharel; as well as a spray EDT and a splash EDP, both from Cosmair for Cacharel (likely of '90s vintage). They all smell great. Not a huge difference between EDT and EDP.

LOVE THIS ONE!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I have a silver-capped mini from the original Anais Anais which I got from my grandma when I was in my early teens. I didn't like it back then, it was too overpowering, mature and heavy for me.

Now that I'm older I realized that it has a lot of notes that I usually dislike. I still decided to give it another try today. Any type of lilies and hyacinth give me headaches and make me sneeze, and Anais Anais has a lot of lilies and the hyacinth is very overpowering on me as well. No wonder I hate everything about it.
It smells absolutely amazing when in the bottle though. Very subtle with just a tinge of sweetness. If only it would smell like that on my skin.

Once I put it on I get an extremely sharp floral consisting of hyacinth and all the different lilies in this. I literally smell like I have been rolling through a mountain of these flowers. I really want to like this, but I'm afraid I can't. It's just too strong. I will give it another try and put it on my clothes and see how the scent will behave then, but I can't wear it myself.

edit:I tried wearing this on my clothes, but it still gives me headaches. I now occasionally put some drops of this on my bed linnen in the morning. By the time I return to bed in the evening it will have died down to a much more pleasant smell that's similar to smelling it in the bottle. I still don't love it, but it doesn't irritate me anymore and it smells quite clean yet romantic.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I used to use Anais Anais body lotion way back in the junior high and always loved it. So soft and feminine, girly and clean-smelling..just a soft scent!!

Sadly, that is hard to find anymore (used to come in a large, rather heavy frosted glass jar)..I see some in tubes, but..ehh!

I had tried this EDT years ago, thinking it would just be a 'kicked up' version of the body lotion. Never had I experienced two such differing scents that were supposed to be the 'same'!!

This is one of those perfumes that gets in my nose and does not leave, and ultimately gives me a headache! And the scent, imo, is not even worth it (yes sometimes I will endure a headache on occasion, if I like the scent enough). To me, this is a cheap-smelling perfume, with a not-cheap-price sticker.

From frantica.com:
"Anais Anais is a ultra-feminine fresh, rich and romantic bouquet of flowers. Transparent orange blossom with heady hyacinth open the composition. The intensive floral heart blends sweet rose, delicate white lily and magical jasmine. The base is composed of comforting amber, warm sandalwood with a tender touch of misterious incense."

Now, I like all of those base notes (except rose, which tends to give me a headache), but for some reason, the combination or amounts used just do not appeal to my nose. Sad and disappointed that the lotion smells so soft and lovely and the EDT is so..different.

I decided to try this again recently, thinking things change as we get older, and perhaps I would like this EDT now, but sadly, it still hits my nose in a bad way...

May look for the body lotion some time, as it was always lovely.
But this EDT is not something that will find it's way into my collection...wished it smelled (to me) as lovely as the body lotion, because the body lotion only ever lasted (obviously, being a mere lotion) for just a couple of hours. To me, this smells like an old lady perfume. Not sure how else to describe it..??? I am sure some enjoy this perfume, as it has been around a long time now, just..not for me..

I'm very hard to please when it comes to perfumes, flitting from one to the other. I guess it says a lot that this is the only perfume I've ever repurchased (I'm currently on my third bottle). My mom bought my first bottle for me about three years ago without me ever smelling it before. I fell in love with the scent instantly. It's so delicate and feminine. It does remind me of older perfumes like those worn by my grandparents' generation, and I love that, but I understand how a lot of people wouldn't. I reviewed the price as excellent value, but whenever I go to purchase it there always seems to be a sale where it's reduced to about half price. Having said that, I would not hesitate to pay full price for a bottle of this gorgeous perfume.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I smelled this in the department store a few days ago and it really bought back memories. I used to use Anais Anais decades ago (probably when it first came out) because it was made by Cacharel and I had purchased and loved quite a few items of clothing from Cacharel (yes, they used to make clothes) when I went to school in the south of France. To be honest, I didn't even like the fragrance back then and only bought it out of some misguided loyalty to the company. I only bought it once and wasn't unhappy when it was finished.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I find this fragrance to be very floral without being sweet and/or cloying. Yes, there is a strong powdery note to it and -- am I the only one to smell this? -- a peppery note as well. To me, this is the epitome of a romantic scent: classic and feminine. It reminds me of updos, vintage lace and dressing tables.

I do wish it had better staying power, thus only four lippies.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Ahhhhhh!!My first love in perfume!I love white florals and this one fits the bill! It's nice and soft and non offensive and lasts all day on me! I have tried so many perfumes and love so many and i always go back to this one :)

Eeeekkk! One spray was like a lighted neon sign flashing: WHITE FLORAL! I can't do it. I'm sorry, Anais Anais. I really wanted to like you. I give total props to anyone who can pull it off.

I purchased the 1 oz. bottle from Marshall's so if anyone would like it, message me.

Popular Fragrances