MAC Paint Pot in Bare Study

4.2

on 12/3/2016 12:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I wrote my original review for Bare Study way back in 2012. I have used MAC Paint Pots for more years than I care to think about and I love most of them. With Bare Study, I have a bit of a "love/hate" relationship. I recently bought a new jar to replace one I b2m'd 4 years ago because it dried out so quickly compared to Painterly, Groundwork, etc. But since Benefit's RSVP Creaseless Cream Eyeshadow in RSVP is not longer readily available in Canada, I figured I'd give Bare Study another try. It's an okay product but I find it applies much less smoothly, evenly and easily than RSVP; it can go on quite patchy. This is a brand new, fresh jar so it's not like it's developed a "skin" on the surface - it should be smooth and silky but it's not as smooth as I'd like. I will continue to use it - it looks lovely on its own and makes a great base, as do all the Paint Pots. A good product to have but not a really great one. I probably should have bought a Clarins or Lise Watier cream shadow instead. My complaint about the packaging is the slightly domed lid (like most of MAC's products) - it makes for a very wobbly column if I try to stack these in a drawer. I so wish they had flat lids.

on 10/19/2016 3:29:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I am not sure what I can add which hasn't already been said, but... I LOVE this product! I love this product for completely different reasons than I love the matte paint pots though. This shade is beautiful champagne with glow - think highlighter for the eyes. The texture is like silk, and it applies like buttah - I use my fingers for the best coverage. It's also buildable. I think the best thing about this product though is that when I use it as an all over lid color on days I don't want to deal with shadow application, I look refreshed and bright eyed, and I always get complements that I am somehow "glowing". I use this prob. 3-4 days a week as a standalone/all over the eye color, and on the other days I only use it dabbed over primer as a center lid base, which enhances the pop of frost/foil/pigment I top it with.

Now for the down side... This will crease if you don't use a primer under it. Interestingly that isn't an issue as an all over color for some reason, and I don't use primer in conjunction on those days. BUT if I use other colors on top of this, no way, total crease city. Well, on me anyway. Even so, I just love the glow this gives my face and how it sets off my brown eyes! I have yet to find another all over shade like this, with these noticeable effects, which says a lot.

It is an absolutely lovely shade - pinkish champagne with some fine shimmer. Should be particularly beautiful on warmer skin tones. The texture is very creamy which results in creasing in the lid. So try using a tiny amount in the crease and tap it in well.
Longevity is ok.

on 12/5/2015 12:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was looking for a colour with shimmer to brighten my eyes and be subtle enough for everyday use with some mascara and natural blush and lips. A make up artist at Mac recommended Jest (which I loved and is now in my wish list), but I wanted something like that in cream texture. She gave me Bare Study.

So, firstly, Bare Study is not exactly Jest in cream, Jest has more pink to it I think and has more intense colour pay off. Bare Study is a kind of pinkish champagne colour with golden shimmer which looks silvery from another angle (how does it even do that, I've no idea). It's sheer, so if you want to build the colour up, you need to layer it and use a primer first.

It suits my cool toned skin beautifully and lights up my eyes, making them look rested. But it is not the shimmery shadow that will pop, it's better for subtle looks, like a lovely highlighter that does its job but is not too much in your face. I set it with a translucent powder for a subtle well rested look or use it as a base for a shimmery shadow if I want something more intense. It lasts a good 10 hours and can be used all over the lid, on the brow bone, or even as a highlighter for the cheekbones. I read somewhere that it's the creamy equivalent of Mary Lou manizer by The Balm, but I don't have that so I dont' know if it's true or not.

But ladies, can we talk texture? Let's talk texture. The texture is HEAVENLY. I mean, really amazing. Painterly is not like that! Bare Study is so soft and velvety, that I forego using a brush in order to feel it on my finger. It's luxurious and kind of fluffy like a mousse, and makes me feel as if I am Amelie (you know, from the movie? ) going after the simple pleasures in life. Yes, this texture is a simple pleasure on my fingertip, greatly appreciated on a Monday morning before work.

If you are a tactile person, go for it, no kidding.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Another great Mac product. It doesn't crease which is a miracle for a creme eye shadow! However if I want to use the gel eye liner I must set this with a powder shadow or the gel transfers badly. I love the shimmer and wear this alone often. Much more versatile than painterly.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I LOVE this product! Quick, easy, looks gorgeous and LASTS! I It's very shimmery, but I like that! I can use this alone or under powder shadow. No creasing or smearing!

My one complaint: I feel like the packaging, while beautiful, allows the product to dry out. The seal doesn't feel very tight. (That being said.. mine has lasted 4+ years ;-D )
I have tried Maybelline Color Tattoo for comparison, but it wasn't quite as good!

Try it out!

on 12/1/2014 5:22:00 PM

So pretty and princessesque. I use it every day under my brow for that glow and lift

on 11/1/2014 5:03:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Bare Study is a pretty gold pink duochrome shimmer that brings light to my eyes. I had a hell of a time blending out the edges at first, but I've found that throwing a powder crease color on is easier than attempting to blend out the Paint Pot. So many shadows work well for this (warm, cool, peaches, purples, browns, etc.) that I can bring new life to Bare Study very easily. My current favorite combination is: Bare Study all over lid and through crease, Makeup Geek Unexpected on outer corner, Urban Decay Toasted in crease, MAC Naked Lunch on lid. Best application method I've found includes patting and blending across the lid with a fluffy brush. You will likely need to use a primer underneath to keep it from creasing.

Pros:
* lovely, complex shimmer
* sheer but buildable
* creamy application
* lightens the eyes
* versatile with many color families
* very generous amount of product
* long-lasting

Cons:
* needs primer
* needs to be stored upside-down to stay creamy
* edges can be difficult to blend out

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I find that eye shadow moves around and creases a lot on my eyelids so when I heard about people using the MAC paint pots and it not creasing I was really excited to try it. However, I find that it does crease after wearing it all day so I wasn't overly impressed. I really love the colour and the slight shimmer though so I still wear it. It just means i have to blend the crease back out once or twice a day.

on 7/23/2014 10:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I am SO glad I finally purchase this... After 6 paint pots bought, I finally got this one. A keeper! I can now rock some eyeshadows I was putting aside!

My two favorites looks at the moment:
Bare study all over the lid with Club e/s in the outer lid and the crease.
Bare study all over the lid with Expensive pink e/s in the center of the lid.

I will definetly repurchase!