MAC Cosmetics Pro Longwear Paint Pot - Painterly

MAC Cosmetics Pro Longwear Paint Pot - Painterly

4.3

Isodocecane, dimethicone, polyethylene, hydrogenated polyisobutene, quaternium-90 bentonite, dimethicone silylate, octyldodecanol, silica, trihydroxystearin, retinyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, lecithin, carnauba wax, propylene carbonate, triethoxycaprylylsilane. May contain: mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, bismuth oxychloride, blue 1 lake, carmine, chromium hydroxide green, chromium oxide greens ferric ferroxyanide, manganese violet, ultramarines, yellow 5 lake.

I love this product and the colour. I have never used a cream eyeshadow before but after my eye lift I decided to try something new. I use this colour as my all over eye base before adding my smokey brown shadow. It’s fab the colour is quite subtle and Matte but it’s staying power is phenomenal and it doesn’t crease. I just scrape a little off the top of the pot with my nail and rub it on my hand to soften then apply with my finger and it goes on really nicely and my eyeshadow blends in fab with it. I wear the painterly when going out and the soft ochre daily for work. I’ll definately be buying other colours.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I love it as an eyeshadow base since it covers tiny capillares on my eyelids. It creates clean canvas without causing troubles while I’m blending eyeshadows. I gave it a 4 since in the summer when my lids are more oily it’s not long lasting (like 5-6 hours max).

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This has definitely improved my eyeshadow wear time and helps to prevent shifting and creasing. I have been loving this over using an eyeshadow primer for two reasons: 1) I can see where I put it to make sure I cover my entire eyelid evenly and right down to my lash line, an area where I seem to sometimes miss and 2) it gives my eye area an even color so I don’t have to rely on my eyeshadow alone to cover any discoloration. It dries quickly so those who have problems with creasing will love this because it sets before it can shift.
Even though MAC describes it as a nude beige, I think it is slightly pink in color and is a good choice for cool skin tones or when working with cool toned eyeshadows and palettes.

on 11/3/2018 11:05:00 AM

I wanted to share a tip I just discovered. This works incredibly well with a tiny damp beauty blender! I had stopped using it because it was making my eyelids look more crepey then I cared for. Instead of throwing it out I decided to give it one last try by shearing it out this way. What great results I got! I’m very happy about this because I have blue veins that show through my eyelids and always have had trouble covering them.

on 8/29/2018 11:32:00 AM

I was actually after the stormy pink one, but couldn't find it, so I got painterly instead. While applying, painterly looks very plain, but after it dries out it turns into a gorgeous soft pink color on my lids, if you combine it with groundwork it looks amazing. Consistency is a bit waxy, but I may have a dud. I like the fact it is in a pot, so I can apply it either with a brush or the tip of my fingers.

on 4/16/2018 8:10:00 AM

Bought this as loads of people raved about it as an eye base / eye primer. It definitely works as an eye base! Never used it as an eyeshadow / lid topper so won’t comment on how it works when used in that way. I would recommend this product to someone just starting out. If you have yellow undertones definitely avoid as this is a pinky nude colour. Maybelline also do a dupe its their Tattoo 24 hour paint pot in the shade “ Creme de Rose” its a bit more dry than Painterly. It is expensive but will last a long time! I wouldn’t buy again because i prefer the Urban Decay potion primer & want to try the P Louise eye base

on 4/14/2018 9:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Overall rating: 6/10

I like this product, but I wouldn't say it's a staple I can't live without. I actually use it as an under-eye concealer rather than on my eyelids. It's a good concealer but it dries out before I can't finish it. For the price (almost 40AUD) I want to be able to use up the product before it dries out. I would buy this again if I can't find a good liquid concealer to use under my eyes instead.

on 1/17/2018 6:25:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

I kept hearing about this, but was skeptical. I have used Maybelline Color Tattoos--which I don't recommend, as IME they dry up very quickly--and I love me a good cream eyeshadow, but haven't found any that completely fulfill all of my requirements. I'm also not one to think that a product is good just because of the name/brand, believe in judging each product based on its own merits.

Another reason I was skeptical is that I have very sensitive skin, and tend to be allergic to a lot of products. But I kept hearing that this was the perfect "nude" eye base for pink/cool toned skin (Soft Ochre for warm skin), so I finally got it.

So, this is a neutral/cool matte beige, a little darker than my skintone (NW 15-20). When I use this, I apply over the lid (over a light moisturizer) up into the crease (but not under the brow area). I find, as with most primers and cream shadows, it's best applied by patting on in thin layers. This covers discoloration very well; I've heard of some people using it as a primer over discolored areas or concealer, though I haven't tried that. I usually use a powder base shadow over this (Essence Smooth Caramel) to help with blendability of dark matte colors.

I have a lot of eye primers and cream shadows, and find this a worthy addition to my stash. Note that in addition to being sensitive, my eyes are quite dry, and this doesn't bother them at all.

TL;DR: Great base shadow for cool skintones, doesn't bother sensitive/dry eyes. Apply by patting on thin layers.

on 12/10/2017 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

One of my favorite MAC eye shadow.
Simply put this is an awesome color. I can make dramatic eyes with darker colors in the corner or keep it soft and simple with this all over lid and wedge in crease.

on 12/6/2017 9:53:00 PM

I used to like this before I knew much about primers. It kind of works, but it's not long lasting enough on me. It's good value since the product will last a long time, but what's the point when it doesn't work all that well? As a shadow base, it's great. But I wouldn't recommend it as a primer. I get a fair amount of creasing if I use this as a primer. Instead, I would recommend Urban Decay for an eyeshadow primer. Even on nights when I fall asleep without washing off my makeup (it's not that often, but happens) my eye makeup still looks flawless in the morning thanks to Urban Decay Primer Potion.