NYX Snow White

NYX Snow White

4.4

Snow White seems to have a cult following among beauty bloggers & aficionados, & being a member of the Church of Red Lipsticks, I decided to finally try it. The color is darker on my lips than on the tube; It is a dramatic dark, (just-dried) blood red. Not for the wallflowers! With my very pale complexion & dark hair, it definitely makes me feel like Snow White! The formula is creamy & even though I prefer mattes, I don't mind that this has a sheen effect. I like that it makes my teeth look so white in person & in photos. Lasts up to 4hrs without eating or constant drinking; transfers a lot; if you eat, you definitely need to reapply this. What I dislike is the weird, plasticky smell & the somewhat unpleasant taste. For the price though, this is a good buy & I'm glad to have this as a part of my Red Lipstick Arsenal.
P.S. This is not a dupe for NARS Cruella. I have it too & Cruella registers lighter & more red on my lips.

I expected to love this, but I can't wear it. For a pale person, I can often get away with dark reds. But this one is darkened with a color that doesn't flatter me. With my pale mauve natural lip color (ah...that's washed out liver color...), it has a dull dark blah tone to it, the red does not dominate. *sigh* Really depends on your coloring. I would have rated this higher because the color may look great on others, but I didn't care for the texture upon application either - it seemed to pull into lines and didn't sit well. I wanted it off my lips - THIS after hunting for it for as long as I did! I mean, I hunted for this thing for weeks because it was sold out wherever I went. Well I'm glad it looks better on others...AND I feel sorry for myself because it looks muddy on me. *end of whine*
I can wear colors like NARS Fire Down Below, Rimmel 111, Wet N Wild Cinnamon Spice. I also can't wear Maybelline Divine Wine - which is another lemming I just HAD to buy, found it sold out everywhere, and ultimately found that it is darkened with a tone or color that looks "tired" and kinda muddy on me. *whimper*
I uploaded the swatch picture that has two rows of short swatches in the center and one long swatch on either side. In that photo - I kind of think I can see the darkened color of Snow White (NYX) and Divine Wine (Maybelline) that just kills 'em for me. I notice it most when I don't enlarge that photo but view the swatches from a distance (small) - those two stand out as "muddy" from a distance. I also uploaded the swatch photo currently to the right of the one I mentioned earlier and again - just looking at the small photo - Snow White and Divine Wine (on the left) look muddy. It might be black, dark blue or dark brown that is added - I recall when I ask to have house paint "darkened", the paint store added a "lamp black" pigment which is said to be soft a brownish- or bluish-black pigment. Whatever that is - I need to practice recognizing it because this whole "buy it and hate it" thing is depressing. Well, I'm glad my fellow MAU'ers can enjoy it.

on 4/26/2016 7:51:00 PM

The reviews make this sound like one of the greatest reds out there (to quote a former reviewer, "the red to end all reds"), but I completely disagree. For starters, this shade looks different on everyone (on me it's a deep wine red); though various photos on the internet would have you think it was pink-red, brick red, cherry-red, brick-red, etc - very confusing! I was hoping for a blood-red, but was disappointed. In addition, the formula and the application have to be perfect for a dark red because it's not a very forgiving color and I'm not sure that's the case here. The only way I've been able to make this work is with a 20's vamp look, so I don't reach for it often. It's cheap enough that I don't mind having it in my arsenal, but I probably won't re-purchase.

on 2/24/2016 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I LOVE this lipstick! On me it goes on blood red, even more so once it dries. But then my lips are naturally really pigmented.

i use this with MAC's brick lipliner and it stays on pretty well. it doesn't have the staying power of a matte lipstick or a lip laquer but then i feel it wears nicer too.

my lips dry out super easily which is why i hardly ever wear lipstick. but this one keeps them nice and hydrated all day.

would defenitely repurchase, i hope they never dc it.

on 1/26/2016 6:24:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

My favourite lipstick – It's so pigmented and matches so well with my skin tone, I love it! It has poor staying power, but a bit of lip primer and a reverse lip liner corrects that straight away. Would recommend!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

The color looks AMAZING on everyone (atleast on many of my friends that have tried this lipstick). It's the perfect red lipstick shade, its a blue-undertone red and its a bit dark. BUT unfortunately, this lipstick's staying power is REALLY BAD! The first time I wore this I forgot to bring it with me, and immediately I regret it because it only lasts for about an hour, even when I have not drink or even eat anything. Great color, bad formula.

on 10/24/2015 10:05:00 AM

Snow White - its NOT RED !

I read all these reviews, thinking I would be getting a red. A DARK red. Its not. Its dark pink. It looks even pinker on me. If you swatch it on paper, its a very pretty deep magenta pink. Not a bad color, not a bad formula. But its not red. Disappointing. I tried to tone it down with other lipsticks. Didnt work. The magenta in Snow White is way too strong.

The dupe for this is the NARS Cruella lipstick pencil. If you love Cruella, Nyx Snow White is going to be an excellent color for you and your bank account.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I was searching for a universally flattering, deeper red lipstick to add to my ever growing collection of red lipsticks, and after reading the reviews for NYX Snow White, how could I resist?

I find this lipstick to be tooooo brown for my taste though. Just like a previous review said, its not a blue-based red and leans more towards a warm muddy red against my NC35 skin. Yes, it's dark and vampy, but a light application looks like a faded out red lip and a heavier application looks too dirty brownish red for me. Maybe it's because I'm in my true red phase, but this lipstick by itself isnt impressive imo.

HOWEVER, it gets four stars because this lipstick as a light base for my other red lipsticks (NYX Eros and Milani Best Red) creates a FABULOUS color. It brings out the hidden bluish tones in Eros and turns my Best Red into a brighter deep red that looks near vampy in certain lighting.

Repurchase? Maybe, because it's the perfect mate to my favorite red lipsticks in my collection. 💋

on 2/23/2015 5:14:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is my fave red lipstick!!! But it's hard to find and the packaging sucks, the plastic broke and was very fragile. The product is great though

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

The red to end all reds... and with a name like SNOW WHITE... how could one not at least be somewhat curious?

And I was so curious. And I found it at the local drugstore and had to give it a try. And like all fairytale endings, it was a happy one. If there is one red lipstick to own, this would be it. Your classic red that can be applied sheer over some balm or vamped on with a couple swipes. The formula is comfortable and light with outstanding pigmentation. Described as a deep blue-toned red by the company, but it goes well with my fair warm-toned skin color. I usually like orange-based reds (think Indie Flick by NYX) so I really was worried this lipstick wouldn't work on me. It totally works. It's so perfect. And I hardly see any blue... it's really more a browned red? Just so beautiful. I have more neutral-warm tones and my friend tried it on and has cool tones - totally worked for both of us. I keep wanting more NYX lipsticks!