Dr. Bronner's Hemp Peppermint Castille Soap

Dr. Bronner's Hemp Peppermint Castille Soap
Hemp Peppermint Castille SoapHemp Peppermint Castille Soap

4.3

Not tested on animals

Water, saponified organic coconut & organic olive oils (w/ retained glycerin), organic hemp oil, organic jojoba oil, organic peppermint oil, organic mentha arvensis, sea salt, citric acid, vitamin e

I LOVE this stuff. Been using it for years and just bought another bottle. I mix a little of this with baking soda to make a really minty scrub for my body. I am one of those people who thinks the mintier the better. Sometimes I will make it so strong it brings tears to my eyes in the shower. It can be a little drying so I only use it a couple times a week. It is also not cheap but well worth it.

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This stuff is a miracle worker! I get REALLY bad migraines, and had read that peppermint is a great natural treatment. Luckily I live in walking distance from a natural food market & they sold their biggest bottle 64 ozz? for 10 dollars on a semi annual special. A little does go a long way, and lasted about 4-5 years. I've used it for baths, laundry, cleaning my cat litter box, spot remover on carpet. This is amazing. There's always a great sale on these. I've even bought the unscented Baby (light turquoise) bottle & use that as well for laundry, spot treatment, and washing my pets.

on 12/11/2016 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This stuff is classic, has basic ingredients, and very multi-purpose. I always have the tiny ones in my bag for travel, and I refill them with a bigger sized bottle (it's most cost efficient that way). My favorite scents are rose and mint. You can technically use these for any purpose in a pinch, but it's better for some tasks than others. I've listed a few ways you can use this soap below and how well it serves that purpose:
SHAMPOO: Gets the grease out, and I mean it really gets your hair squeaky clean, up till the point it can be a bit drying. If my hair really needs a good wash, I may mix this in with my shampoo, but generally, a milder hair product is probably more ideal.
BODY SOAP: Perfect for this purpose. Super refreshing and clean; the peppermint one makes your skin feel so fresh and tingly!
FACE WASH: Similarly to shampoo, I find this can be a bit drying for my sensitive skin. However, I've never had any severe adverse effects or rashes to this, so it can be more suitable for oilier skin types. I still use this when I have nothing else on hand to wash my face.
HOUSEHOLD CLEANER: Really good! Perfect for dishes, messes, etc. Free from toxic chemicals that you wouldn't want to ingest. Also makes things smell good.
SHAVING CREAM: Pretty okay in a pinch; it does what it needs to do and you can simultaneously wash your body and shave, which is nice. But I generally prefer my shaving products to be creamier and more moisturizing.
So in conclusion, it is not the BEST at doing every task, but for the sheer amount of multi-purpose uses, this classic castile soap gets a 10/10 in my book!

You can use this product for almost all your cleaning needs from face wash to body wash to cleaning your floors to cleaning your dishes to cleaning makeup brushes.

on 2/16/2015 11:03:00 AM

I used this for many years to clean my makeup brushes. A lot of beauty gurus on YT have tried to take credit for the idea, but I don't think most of them were born when I read that, I believe, Bobbi Brown used it to clean her makeup brushes. Anyway, I found that the consistency of it changed fairly quickly after I opened the bottle--from liquid to gelatinous, and it would gunk up the opening of the bottle something fierce. It wasn't the best brush cleaner either, so I used up my last 16 ounce bottle and then never repurchased. Beautyblender solid is worlds better for cleaning brushes.

on 10/23/2014 1:23:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This stuff is just perfect. Been using it for ages. Very refreshing, very concentrated, and just makes you feel clean. I use it on my face as well as body, and it's good for handwashing delicates, but that's as far as it goes. I've tried all the uses listed on the bottle at some point in my life--and trust me, don't go there with the toothpaste suggestion.

A hippie classic, so refreshing! It's a pure, old-fashioned castile soap, not a shower gel, so even though the consistency appears thin and watery, it's concentrated stuff. One little sprinkle of Dr. B's on a body pouf is plenty. The company makes this soap in several different scents, but I've never strayed from the peppermint-- it's their most popular variety for a reason. Like a peppermint patty for your body!

I work overnights, and showering with this before work helps wake me up like nothing else can. (The ultimate indulgence is a travel mug of coffee brought into the shower, too :)) It gives the squeaky-clean finish that only castile soap can provide, yet it's not drying at all. My skin seems to know it's natural and basic. I use it on my face, too, which feels wonderful; although when I was younger and had acne, I found that it left a comedogenic film, and I had to use a different facial cleanser so YMMV. I feel so clean and tingly after using this that I sometimes can go longer between showers.

Two notes: (1) Especially if you're a woman, certain body parts may not appreciate the very bracing mint sensation. My certain parts don't mind, but I could easily see someone needing to use Dove or something else more mild on their privates. (2) Read the bottle thoroughly. It's completely psychotic and wonderfully weird. Hey, the dude made good soap, let's cut him some slack for having a trippy unified theory involving Mark Spitz and Jesus :)

on 9/10/2013 9:09:00 PM

This is amazing. No harmful ingredients. it got a 1 on the skin deep database. It dosent dry skin out. it removes makeup very well. I use it in my hair too

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

My skin is so picky when it comes to cleansers. Things that seem to be effective lose their magic within the first week. I'm constantly switching products or coming up with time consuming routines just to keep my skin satisfied. My shower looks like a store shelf in the skin care aisle. This soap was always something I wanted to try, but the price and mixed reviews worried me. Not to mention it's a huge bottle that would take away precious real estate in my shower crowded with so many bottles already. Target, however has a small $2 bottle in their travel size section. I bought it and have used it everyday for the last 2 months or so. I really love it! I now only use a facial cleanser, doesn't seem to matter which one, to take off the bulk of my makeup and finish off with this. I think it might work because it's cleaning as well as removing residue left by my facial wash. I put a couple drops in the palm of my hand add a little water just to create a little lather and wash my face like normal. My skin has not felt filmy or dry or greasy. It's felt quite calm and soft. Everyones skin is different and if nothing else has worked for you, this just might. My skin is incredibly acne-prone and this hasn't irritated it one bit.

***update
My boyfriend has been getting hives all over his body for the past few weeks. He's been taking all kinds of allergy medication, benadryl, omitting certain foods, etc. This soap has been his only relief until the hives run their course. I'm not sure if it's the peppermint oil or what but after using it in the shower, the hives disappear. He ran out the other day so I gave him the dr. Bronners tea tree soap but that had no effect so I'm assuming it's the peppermint that's helping him.

on 7/19/2013 2:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is my all purpose HG product to end all products~~I use it for seemingly everything~Brush my teeth(The mint is wonderful,and I havent used commercial toothpaste in years,no problems,just healthy gums and teeth~(all it takes is one drop on my toothbrush)) Washing my hair~Diluted into a 8 oz bottle of water about 2 tsp soap~really focusing on my scalp,comb thru to ends(follow with ACV rinse,no cond. needed) Fill a spray bottle with this (1/2 cup) and a few tbsp white vinegar and mostly water~cleans everything in my house!!~ Wash my face with this(DILUTE) after I remove my makeup.~~I fill foaming soap dispensers with water and a few squirts of this and it is great for washing hands~I cant use the soap my office provides so I fill a small spray bottle with 3/4 water and a 1/4 soap~just wet my hands and give em a spray, I keep it in my purse. I wash my dishes with it~I wash my produce with it~I shave with it~It tap dances and balances my check book(LOL)~ LOVE. :)