Dr. Bronner's Hemp Peppermint Castille Soap

Dr. Bronner's Hemp Peppermint Castille Soap
Hemp Peppermint Castille SoapHemp Peppermint Castille Soap

4.6

Not tested on animals

Water, saponified organic coconut & organic olive oils (w/ retained glycerin), organic hemp oil, organic jojoba oil, organic peppermint oil, organic mentha arvensis, sea salt, citric acid, vitamin e

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This stuff is a miracle worker! I get REALLY bad migraines, and had read that peppermint is a great natural treatment. Luckily I live in walking distance from a natural food market & they sold their biggest bottle 64 ozz? for 10 dollars on a semi annual special. A little does go a long way, and lasted about 4-5 years. I've used it for baths, laundry, cleaning my cat litter box, spot remover on carpet. This is amazing. There's always a great sale on these. I've even bought the unscented Baby (light turquoise) bottle & use that as well for laundry, spot treatment, and washing my pets.

on 10/24/2014 9:34:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Love this soap! We bought a big bottle to take camping, and every person in our big group grabbed this to use. Its so refreshing and cleared up my sons bad breakout in just a few days - and I love that its environmentally friendly. If your skin is sensitive to dryness I would not use, but I adore this for summer weather.

on 10/23/2014 1:23:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This stuff is just perfect. Been using it for ages. Very refreshing, very concentrated, and just makes you feel clean. I use it on my face as well as body, and it's good for handwashing delicates, but that's as far as it goes. I've tried all the uses listed on the bottle at some point in my life--and trust me, don't go there with the toothpaste suggestion.

on 10/7/2014 5:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I am not a big fan of Bronner soaps if they are used standalone. They are way too alkaline and harsh for use on skin :(
However, I found a blog which shows how to make liquid soap out of the bar soap at a lesser cost. Basically cut the soap into pieces and add hot water. Let stand for few hours until a liquid soap is formed. This soap is extremely versatile as a laundry detergent, mild cleaner for house and also a soap. Credit goes to the blog for this info. Of course it does not look like the Dr.Bronner's Liquid castile soap sold in stores but for $4 you get a big bottle of castile soap made.

Now here is my *secret* - on it's own, the castile soap is quite alkaline pH ~ 9.5 and may be very harsh for the skin or hair. With it's high pH, the only uses for castile soap (for me) are as a detergent or for cleaning the house. However, the ph can be toned down by using sesame oil. Sesame oil has a low pH. Mix whipped or plain sesame oil into the liquid soap and it can be used safely on skin and hair. In fact it becomes a gentle, soothing cleanser and can also double up as a shampoo. The ratio of castile soap to sesame oil varies depending on skin/hair tolerance to castile soap. I use more sesame oil vs castile soap. Sesame oil can be substituted by olive or coconut oil (non-refined, virgin, cold-pressed).

on 6/26/2014 2:37:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really like to use this as body wash in the summer since the peppermint is VERY BRACING. I didn't find the lather difficult to adapt to, caused no irritation, price isn't bad for the size and it's not full of harmful chemicals. My husband and I can share, since it's not a feminine scent. He works in extreme heat all summer, so he really likes the cooling effect. I like it!

A hippie classic, so refreshing! It's a pure, old-fashioned castile soap, not a shower gel, so even though the consistency appears thin and watery, it's concentrated stuff. One little sprinkle of Dr. B's on a body pouf is plenty. The company makes this soap in several different scents, but I've never strayed from the peppermint-- it's their most popular variety for a reason. Like a peppermint patty for your body!

I work overnights, and showering with this before work helps wake me up like nothing else can. (The ultimate indulgence is a travel mug of coffee brought into the shower, too :)) It gives the squeaky-clean finish that only castile soap can provide, yet it's not drying at all. My skin seems to know it's natural and basic. I use it on my face, too, which feels wonderful; although when I was younger and had acne, I found that it left a comedogenic film, and I had to use a different facial cleanser so YMMV. I feel so clean and tingly after using this that I sometimes can go longer between showers.

Two notes: (1) Especially if you're a woman, certain body parts may not appreciate the very bracing mint sensation. My certain parts don't mind, but I could easily see someone needing to use Dove or something else more mild on their privates. (2) Read the bottle thoroughly. It's completely psychotic and wonderfully weird. Hey, the dude made good soap, let's cut him some slack for having a trippy unified theory involving Mark Spitz and Jesus :)

on 1/5/2014 10:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I LOVE this soap! This is our summertime soap as it leaves a cool feeling on your skin and the scent of mm peppermint wakes you up! love that there are no toxic chemicals in it either!

on 7/19/2013 2:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is my all purpose HG product to end all products~~I use it for seemingly everything~Brush my teeth(The mint is wonderful,and I havent used commercial toothpaste in years,no problems,just healthy gums and teeth~(all it takes is one drop on my toothbrush)) Washing my hair~Diluted into a 8 oz bottle of water about 2 tsp soap~really focusing on my scalp,comb thru to ends(follow with ACV rinse,no cond. needed) Fill a spray bottle with this (1/2 cup) and a few tbsp white vinegar and mostly water~cleans everything in my house!!~ Wash my face with this(DILUTE) after I remove my makeup.~~I fill foaming soap dispensers with water and a few squirts of this and it is great for washing hands~I cant use the soap my office provides so I fill a small spray bottle with 3/4 water and a 1/4 soap~just wet my hands and give em a spray, I keep it in my purse. I wash my dishes with it~I wash my produce with it~I shave with it~It tap dances and balances my check book(LOL)~ LOVE. :)

on 7/2/2013 1:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I too was skeptical about the packaging but my boyfriend had it in his shower one day...and now I am hooked! Love the smell and the way it feels! Love Love Love!

on 3/14/2013 12:20:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have used this and the lavender several years ago and liked them. I rebought this after seeing the video on Netflix about it. I like it as a body wash and face wash but definitely NOT as a shampoo. The consistency is oily but when I put it in my hair it became very hard and crusty almost and was hard to wash out. My face hasn't broken out at all using this and the smell is great in the morning!!