Rosehip Seed Oil

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
 Rosehip Seed Oil
Favorite oilEnter Title

4.2

rose (usually rose moschata or rosa rubiginosa) hip seed oil

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

One of THE BEST anti-ageing products you can use. Take this from someone who has tried almost every anti-ageing product in existence! Also be aware: the darker the color (orange or red), the better the efficacy of the Rosehip oil which = better results. Some years back, before switching to the anti-ageing serum I currently use - which combines Rosehip Seed Oil plus other beneficial oils, I would purchase a small bottle of 100% organic cold-pressed pure Rosehip seed oil from an organic store in my neighborhood and then decant into an amber glass jar with a dropper neck. That way you keep the oil safe from sunlight which would turn it rancid in next to no time!

The best thing about it is you only use 1-2 drops of this each night as it's concentrated and doesn't require lots to be used in order for it to be effective. For drier skin types a moisturizer can be applied just a couple of minutes after as one of the best things about it is how fast the oil sinks into your skin. Like Jojoba it doesn't sit on the surface for long, it's quite a 'dry' oil.

As a natural anti-ageing product it is amongst the best out there imo. Fine lines, dark spots, you name it, Rosehip seed oil if given enough time will do wonders for your skin, especially when it comes combined with other regenerative oils and botanicals. Just be sure to purchase an organic brand that's also cold-pressed as your skin will thank you for this.

BUT as mentioned in my previous review there are a couple of things I'd like to point out for those who are not aware (to save retyping it all I'm copying and pasting the below from my previous review)...

Firstly, you need to use sun protection during the day if you use RHO on a night. This is because it contains a high content of polyunsaturated fatty acids which can easily oxidize, although that doesn't mean the oil is phototoxic (it isn't). More importantly it is naturally very high in Vitamin A (which is what Retinol is derived from) and you wouldn't skip SPF if using Retinol right? Same thing applies here.

Secondly, I don't really believe RHO should be used during the daytime at all, the same way you wouldn't use a retinol product during the day. For daytime simply stick to a good SPF, preferably over a moisturizer or serum rich in antioxidants - Vitamin C, E, Ferulic Acid, Green Tea, Lycopene, Niacinamide etc, all of which serve an actual function - to help counteract UV and environmental damage throughout the day. RHO just won't do that!

Rosehip Oil is definitely one of the most effective natural carrier oils one could apply to their skin, but as with everything, there are things to be aware of and to take into consideration before you do.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(I've sampled many 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, as I love constantly trying out new stuff - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora. Thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: Jack Black - Intense Therapy
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

This has made my skin feel noticeably softer and more supple. It's too rich for my face to handle, but I use it as a treatment on my hands overnight (2 drops per hand), followed by a cream to seal it in (La Roche-Posay Lipikar Baume AP+). This combination has done much more for my skin than any 'fancy' hand creams I've tried in the past. Rosehip oil is rich in antioxidants and fatty acids to keep skin moisturized and protected. I've read it can also be anti-inflammatory.

I like to purchase my rosehip oil from Deciem (The Ordinary). It's not the only organic and cold-pressed product available, but as the brand is so popular, I can be assured that I'm getting fresh oil with its skin-beneficial components at full strength.

SCENT: I have read that the unrefined oil can smell fishy to some, but I am very sensitive to fishy odors and it doesn't smell anything like fish IMO. To me, it smells more like underripe fruit - a pleasant green scent less sharp than grass and ever so slightly tart.

A definite repurchase for keeping my hands looking and feeling great!

on 3/16/2018 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I've tried all of the oils from The Ordinary. I'm not a fan of oils, but jumped on the hype train sometime around the middle of last year.

PROS: Again, I hate oils, BUT this one gives the fastest and best results so far of the ones I've tried. My skin looks less red. It really does nothing too specific that I can point out, it just seems to make my skin look more rested and calm. I hate to say it, but my skin has been younger looking, in a totally cliché sense, when I use this at night.

CONS: AND now why I'm not a fan of oils. They're oily, they don't spread easily, they take forever to absorb into my skin (up to several hours!?), they are easy to go HAM on and overapply... they're just cosmetically inelegant IMO. And this is the worst offender of the ones from The Ordinary. The other oils had some more movement to them or natural slip... but not this one! It feel just thicker and more dense and resilient, it just does really want to spread. I would have thought the Argan Oil would be richer or more heavy feeling because it's for dry skin, this is taking it's place! I feel like unless you have quite a wet face, applying this requires you rough up your skin. Not only that but simply putting it into my fridge too also caused it to like massively crust up on the edges and temporarily take on a bizarre texture.

OVERALL: I do not want to use this. Seriously, this is the worst oil in terms of texture and I feel like I'm in minority here because nobody ever brings stuff like this up. However, it gets me results for sure and I feel tempted to repurchase it only for my night routine or to mix with a moisturizer. It really works. I'll use it but not really like the process.

I got some Aura Cacia Rosehip oil on clearance at the grocery store. I use it at night after cleansing, and before my Pond's Rejuveness cream, sometimes alone, if I am lazy. It's made my skin so soft and smooth! I think it is also helping with my forehead wrinkles and crows' feet. It's helping combat my dry flakey winter skin for sure. The only problem is that it is very pricey, and hard to find, now that the grocery store has discontinued it...

on 8/7/2017 8:04:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

My experience with rosehip oil is through The Ordinary's 100% Cold-Pressed Organic Rosehip Seed Oil. And based off my experience, it is AMAZING. The first facial oil that I ever used on my face was Bio-Oil years and years ago, and that totally wrecked havoc on my face. Since then, I was afraid to try any oils on my face. After seeing the popularity of face oils grow and seeing tons of reviews on so many different face oils, I decided to cave in because *why not*... rosehip oil totally changed my mind.

I'm naturally acne prone in general and lately hormonal acne has been my battle (thanks for that, current birth control). Out of all the stuff I've tried in attempting to relieve the hormonal acne, rosehip oil has done the biggest job. Not only have I completely replaced my moisturiser for this oil (mainly at night... I don't like using oils during the day if I'm wearing makeup on top), it has also reduced the amount of spots I'd normally get if I wasn't using rosehip oil AND reduced the number of days it takes for my spots to heal. I also see a noticeable reduction in my hyperpigmentation. By all means, it hasn't faded all of it but it has definitely reduced it. I know rosehip oil isn't for everyone and I know it won't work for some people, but give it a fair go if you've never tried t before and you're curious! I think most skin types can enjoy this and it may possibly work well for you if you have acne and/or acne scarring!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I only tried the ordinary rosehip oil so far so good,mostly I use this as moisturizer right after exfoliating or deep cleansing that leaves my skin little bit more dry , I wake up with plumped glowing skin, it also gradually fades any dark spots on my face , which is not expected from an oil to do !!! But this one actually does .. will continue to use this .

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I loooove Rosehip seed oil, my savior in acne-prone hyper pigmented skin.
I would avoid any oils like the plague on my skin because prior to beckon a student esti, I thought; oil = bad. I was very very wrong.

I bought my Rosehip oil from Mountain Rose Herbs for $15 for 4oz which is 10x better price than that super popular Rosehip oil.

I always use it after cleansing or doing a clay mask, or when I do a light enzyme, I saturate my face with rose water and my toner and then I take 2-3 drops and pat all over my face and neck while it's still wet from the toner.
Since using Rosehip oil at night and using a PH balanced cleanser, I no longer wake up with horribly oily skin and it's more balanced.

Plus, this helps to lighten up my hyper pigmentation along with enzyme peels.
I would recommend keeping it in a dark glass bottle in the fridge away from heat as it is a very delicate oil and can get rancid very easily.

It's a great facial oil, I wouldn't recommend using it alone as it's not super moisturizing, I would use it under a moisturizer.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Rosehip oil was, for me, a good no-nonsense moisturizer. I used it both morning and night after cleansing and serums. I find that it works best on skin that is damp. I used about a nickel size amount all over my face, neck, and chest. With the remnants, I would use on dry elbows, lips, ears or anywhere else that needed a bit of moisture.

The average rating is because while this moisturized my skin, I don't think it helped with texture, acne, redness, nor with scarring. At best, it softened my skin a bit.

This oil does sink in relatively quickly and wears very well under makeup. It makes dry patches slightly less apparent under foundation, but grapeseed oil and mineral oil work much better. Additionally, I have extremely sensitive and reactive skin and this did not irritate my skin at all.

I think there are much better oils on the market, but this one is a solid choice for the price point.

on 12/15/2016 7:51:00 PM

I have delayed typing this review to see what effects rosehip oil would have over a longer period of time. I started using it 2 years ago when I was heavily pregnant with my daughter, and holy hell did it transform my face. My pregnancy was hard and my face nad been very ashen with big dark circles. This oil made me GLOW with a gorgeous dewy complexion within hours of applying it for the first time. (I apply 3-4 drops morning and night after washing my face). The mild pimples I had completely disappeared. I was so so happy.

Around the same time my belly skin was getting so00 tight from the pregnancy I started to see little hair line red stretch marks all over it. I was freaking out I have to admit as girlfriends warned me that stretch marks arrived over night in late pregnancy. I started slathering two droppers full worth of rosehip oil all over my belly maybe 3 times a day, and hey presto my skin became supple soft and moisturized. I never did get those stretch marks, and not only that a few months after giving birth my skin snapped back no sagginess of any kind. Like nothing ever happened! For those that say that it could have been genetics, well that's true, but I did get lots of stretch marks through puberty so I think in this case the rosehip oil really saved the day.

The rosehip saga continues...

Once the baby came I went through a period of very rapid aging. Between sleep deprivation, post partum anxiety, PTSD from the birth and scary family issues I was extremely stressed. Skin all over my body rapidly lost elasticity and thickness. My veins are so visible now everywhere, especially hands and upper arms. I am 31 but I swear after making comparisons my body looks like that of a 40yr old or older (except my belly which is ageless, haha). I now have madonna hands. I was on autopilot with my skin routine (just washing with water and rosehip oil) and amazingly my face didn't age anywhere near as badly. Facially I maybe look 35 at most, though maybe Im being harsh even in that judgement. My eye area in particular (the place where aging shows first and harshest due to the thinness of the skin) DID NOT AGE AT ALL. I wish I had the foresight to slather my whole body with the stuff. Now that the ageing has slowed down to normal levels, Im finding that my eye area is actually improving a little.

As amazing as this oil is though it is not perfect. For one it really aggravates my seborrheic dermatitis, but this is easily fixed by avoiding those areas which for me are sides of the nose and eyebrows. Secondly the quality of this oil seems to vary greatly by brand and even batch within a brand. Trilogy which is HG for many people performed Ok on me the next time, and the second bottle gave me a reaction which I assume was from being rancid (there was no smell in either bottle to alert me on any issues). Sukin has been hit and miss. One bottle was AMAZING, another reeked of off-fish so badly I had to return it. I think what is happening is that the demand for rosehip oil is increasing world wide as more and more people are discovering it, individual brands are buying from a diversity of suppliers to meet the demand. This leads to quality and processing issues. Still worth the hassle of switching brands and bad batches though. Make sure you buy from a shop that has a high turn over too, you don't want to buy something that has been sitting on a shelf for a year.

Thats it folks, happy hunting!

on 10/27/2016 12:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Bought after seeing a Youtuber rave about it. I got mine from Iherb, it was probably the cheapest organic one they have. Used it for a couple of nights and it broke me out, which I never do. My skin does not like it, I'm sad to say.

The smell sucks btw, it's like rotten leafs or something and it is greasy which I don't particularly like.