Rosehip Seed Oil

Rosehip Seed Oil
Favorite oilEnter Title

4.2

rose (usually rose moschata or rosa rubiginosa) hip seed oil

on 12/9/2014 8:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Rosehip seed oil.. I'm not sure how to begin. It REALLY helped with my hyperpigmentation marks and scarring. I'm attaching before & after photos to this to show you what I mean. It's quite embarrassing to post pics of myself for a bunch of strangers on the internet to see, and YMMV for breaking out, but I really hope it helps someone out there, who suffers from the same problems I do.

Some background on my skin: I have EXTREMELY reactive, sensitive skin that is also combination and prone to breakouts. I only use baby products from head to toe, as everything else makes me itchy, red and swollen, break out, etc. (even ones labeled "for sensitive skin"). Birth control pills are the ONLY thing that finally ended my LONG, scarring battle with cystic acne. I am also a person of color, so that extra melanin makes me very, very prone to hyperpigmentation. My hyperpigmentation marks were EXTREMELY stubborn and refused to fade after years and years. Everyone told me to just leave them alone and they will fade, but they didn't. Then I would get them after EACH zit has made its nasty way onto my face and finally went away so they would keep building and building upon the old ones.

Over the course of about a decade, of course in addition to slathering on high spf, broad spectrum sunscreen everyday, I tried leaving them alone, lemon juice, baking soda (I know, terrible), sugar, aloe vera gel, LOTS of different plant oils, shea butter, tea tree oil, lavender oil, witch hazel, honey, oat flour, goat milk powder, yogurt, salicylic acid peels, 10% glycolic acid lotions and creams such as Walgreen's & Alpha Hydrox (which I used for several years), going vegetarian for 3 years, etc. Although some of these were wonderful for my other skin issues, none of them did jack on fading my marks. Most of them just made my sensitive skin worse. The harsh use of AHA (glycolic) every single day and the occasional salicylic acid peels were the WORST as they made me over-exfoliated and sensitive to the sun, making my marks darker. I was also a picker, so I have quite a few dents on my face, most notably on my cheeks and between my eyebrows (which is pretty embarrassing, because no matter how much makeup I use, the crater makes a shadow and is very noticeable). A "friend" in high school used to call me "crater face", which is funny NOW, but comments like these really took a toll on my self-esteem throughout the years.

Anyways, rosehip seed oil:

The first time I encountered it was when I started using Chagrin Valley S&S products. I was using their Squalane moisturizer, but broke out and tried their Seabuckthorn Rosehip Salve on my face at night. I used that for about 9 months, trying out their Seabuckthorn Tamanu facial oil sometime in between. I noticed that the salve reduced my hyperpigmentation marks a GREAT deal. The first four pictures shows how my face was while using the salve, after a good chunk of my hyperpigmentation has faded.

Full Size Image

Then I went straight for the rosehip oil after I determined that it probably wasn't the seabuckthorn/tamanu oil that was helping me so much. I did some intense searching for an affordable, high quality rosehip oil. I'm a college student living on a meager budget so price is really important to me. I never spend anything over $18 for beauty/skin care, especially since I've moved out. This is the only exception to that rule, which I took a deep breath and took a chance on. I ended up purchasing the giant 8 oz. bottle of Mountain Rose Herbs Rosehip Seed Oil, which is $21.25. It seemed insane to me at first since I'm on such a small budget, but at about $2.65 per oz, this was the lowest price I could find that was at best quality. Compared to many brands out there, this seemed INCREDIBLY cheap, especially coming from such a reputable company as MRH (if only the shipping wasn't $9~$14!).

Buying this was scary to me at first because if you've noticed, there's always a cryptic warning label about not using this oil on acne-prone skin. But I was already using the salve, so why not? Another thing that concerned me was that pure, cold-pressed rosehip seed oil goes rancid REAL fast. It NEEDS to be refrigerated and have minimal exposure to air. Lots of companies seem to add different things to it to stabilize it somewhat. MRH's oil is "winterized" and I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I trust this company and it extends the shelf life to 2 years. I pour a little bit into a 1 oz. pump bottle I got from GoW and keep the rest of the bottle tightly sealed, both in the fridge.

So I've been using it for about 6 months now, along with MRH's aloe vera gel. Wow, 6 months sure seems like forever when you're insecure about your skin everyday! The first thing I noticed was that it added a GLOW to my skin. I was surprised as it wasn't the over-exfoliated, tight, shiny effect, it's just a natural, healthy glow that makes me feel a little bad to have to cover with makeup because I'm trying to hide my acne marks. It improves the texture of my skin SO FREAKIN' MUCH. I also noticed it makes those pesky little pimples go away much faster. It's moisturizing enough on its own in the summer but it's not enough for me in the winter. This oil is really a god-send for me. Please inform me of how incredibly idiotic I'm being if I ever somehow stop using this. The progress has been slow but I can go out in public w/o makeup on now and not feel horrible! My dents have filled out quite a lot as well! I could cry! I still have hyperpigmentation, but I feel so much better about my skin now. The last picture is after 2 months of usage. :) Please remember that my skin in photos look much better than it does in real life! That's including the photos above. :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

UPDATE 2013-07: not used in a while, and not missed it. For topical sunscreen-boosting antioxidants, I've been using a combination of vitamin C (+/- E) serums (ex. from Silk Naturals) and green-tea-based ones (ex. from Garden of Wisdom); and meadowfoam seed oil for moisture.

UPDATE 2011-11: used off/on about 5 years; 2x daily for around the last 2 years. Skin here: sensitive, dryish, prone to irritation breakouts (irritation as expressed by a breakout: first place = thin skin around the nose). Used various brands. Application: like a serum, after washing, to damp skin. 2-3 drops for face, similar amount for neck and throat, & a drop patted in around the eyes. More than that--can feel greasy. Then moisturiser and sunscreen on top in the morning. Evening: ditto, minus s/s.

What's the point of the stuff?

A lightweight oil made from the seed inside the "hip" or fruit of the rose. Easily absorbed. Like any oil, it will moisturise. It's fairly well-tolerated on quite a range of skin types and conditions. Not all, YMMV, do research reviews and other online resources to see if it seems likely to suit *your* individual skin.

Contains antioxidants, especially retinol, plus essential fatty acids. Very high in vitamins C & A; A as retinol: the only plant-sourced oil to contain vit A, otherwise found in many animal fats ex. fish oils. Useful for dealing with photodamage, retinol helping with cell regeneration/turnover, collagen renewal, elastin levels. Great if you can't use any other forms of vitamin A without skin reactions.

+ linoleic acid/omega-6 & linolenic acid/omega-3: good for moisture, repair, soothing and smoothing, especially on more sensitive & eczematic skin. Oil that includes fruit extract (vs just the seed oil) apparently has more sterols and carotenoids.

Can be eaten too--or drunk in the form of rosehip tea--indeed, as many benefits from ingestion as from topical application (if not more).

Effects:
Skin smoother, more even, firm.
No irritation, feels soothed. May be increasing skin resilience (may "toughen" it up slightly--in the case of thin fragile skin, this is a great thing)
Helps moisture levels (in my case, in combination with moisturiser and sunscreen on top).
May help reduce scarring; also used for stretch-marks.

1. Refined: what I prefer: better-tolerated on sensitive skin, longer-lasting, and cheaper. If you've had issues with RHO before, try this. Should be +/- odourless. Lighter yellowish shade, nearly colourless.

---NOW brand: some bottles smell slightly of rosemary; doesn't seem to make any difference. A mystery to me, as this stuff claims to contain nothing besides RHO & refinement usually entails less odour.

2. Unrefined, cold-pressed: NBBB YMMV. Short shelf-life, goes off quickly (it'll smell, should be kept refrigerated; warm the requisite small quantity between hands before use. Best to buy little and often from a supplier with a rapid turnover; resist the temptation to buy greater quantities even though they're a lower price by volume... Be careful buying online, especially at warmer times of year, as the oil is so fragile that it can be damaged through temperature changes in transit. As is normal, to be fair, unless it's being transported like a biological specimen, which would render the cost prohibitive.

Should smell slightly earthy-nutty-fruity, not pungently sweet, and not rankly fish though there may be some fishiness to the scent, as is often the case with omega fatty acids (borage & evening primrose have this nose-note too). Colours range from deep amber to near-red, most are in the orange range. Textures vary: some are heavier.

Some folks may prefer to have completely utterly pure oil with no preservatives. Unfortunately, this is hard to juggle with the oil's fragility, even if buying very little--say, weekly. If that's your cup of tea (same goes for organic/not), check with manufacturers before ordering.

---Garden of Wisdom, Mountain Rose Herbs, Lotioncrafter, some Etsy sellers (online: prices vary considerably): cheapest. But consider that short shelf-life before buying in bulk.

---Some other more widely-available ones: but beware breakouts, short life and rapid rancidity, & USD20.00 - 40.00 - and even more!!! per ounce: Aubrey Organics, Neal's Yard, Kosmea, Primavera, Sukin, Trilogy, various Etsy sellers, etc. Of these, the most easily findable ones are Trilogy--in some boutiquey places and online--& Aubrey Organics--in health-food/eco-stores (also online), cheaper than Trilogy.

3. Unrefined, blend of seed oil + fruit extract, but different manufacturing process--supercritical CO2 extraction:

---Kosmea (online)

---Pai (online, some boutiques): more expensive, but longer life, more stable, doesn't oxidise. Orange, more viscous than refined, less so (& less dense, heavy-feeling) than other unrefined whole-fruit oils. Contains some vit. E (sunflower) for extra antioxidant effect & as a preservative. Smells like rosehip tea. The only unrefined (& organic, etc.) one that I've found tolerable & can use longer-term.

---GoW (online: in the "CO2 extracts" part of their site, not "Carrier oils") RH fruit extract: +FLAVEX rosemary antioxidant preservative: mix in 5% with RH oil.

4. Not tried (not sold here, US shipping doubles price), good reviews:

---Melvita: organic cold-pressed oil +vit. E

---A'Kin: CO2-extracted oil. Similar prices to Trilogy (plus shipping costs). +others in Australia & New Zealand.

Sample prices:

---Refined: NOW = CAD 10.50/1 oz (30 ml), online from USD 4.00/1 oz.

---Unrefined cold-pressed: GoW = USD 5.65/1 oz.

---Unrefined CO2-extracted fruit extract: GoW = USD 6.30 / 0.25 oz = USD 25.20/1 oz

---Unrefined CO2-extracted seed oil + fruit extract: Pai = USD 35.00/1 oz
If you're paying more than that, you're being ripped off/paying for packaging.
Not including shipping cos continued >>

on 11/22/2011 5:16:00 AM

Rose hip oil has been the only thing I've consistently used on my skin for more than 5yrs and I highly recommend it. As a child I got so sunburnt every summer that my face would turn into a scab! Yes ouch! And yes what then hell was I\my mother thinking! Let's just say I'm from the generation before the sunscreen campaigns (I'm 40, not 24 as my profile indicates). So against that backdrop it's a real wonder that at 40 I still have a creamy complexion with only a few freckles. I've often marveled at that myself.

Rose hip oil is packed with antioxidants and lipid soluble vitamins in the quantities and combinations that nature recommends. I've always found it highly amusing that cosmetic companies go to great pains to isolate vitamins as water soluble substances, find they oxidize and degrade too quickly then go to further lengths to create lipid soluble versions because they are kinder to the skin and more stable. Hmmm...seems a really stupid way to go about it when they are readily available in lipid soluble forms in natural oils.

Anyway, rose hip does do all it is famed to do, it just doesn't do it on a deadline. Chances are you won't wake up after using it for 4 weeks and see a dramatic difference in your skin. It's the kind of thing where you look back in 5yrs time, like I did, and think to yourself.....It's really amazing my skin looks this good at this age! Looking back on things now I can say with confidence that Rosehip Oil has.....

Protected my skin from further sun damage when used in conjunction with a
sunscreen.
Prevented my skin from pigmenting post sun damage. By rights my skin should look a lot worse for wear than it does. When I compare my skin to others of comparable age and background, I am streets ahead.
Garnered me compliments and skin tip advice from women 10-15yrs younger.
Given me a reputation for having beautiful skin. Trust me, no-one told me I had beautiful skin in my youth.
Kept lines to an absolute minimum. I have no forehead lines and very minor crows feet. Comparable to someone ten years younger. My eye area is also very smooth and supple.
Kept my skin toned, smooth and plump
Prevented aging

The only time in my life I have experienced aging at any real pace has been a 6 month period where I gave up using Rosehip Oil in favour of so-called proven skincare. AHAs, Vitamin C etc. In that 6 month period I experienced a horrific increase in fine lines, pigmentation, loss of skin tone and texture, and irritation. I've thrown it all out and am back on the Rosehip Oil.

I don't use a specific brand, I source an Organic Rosehip Oil from a whole foods supplier.

on 2/22/2008 5:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I read about rosehip seed oil (rosa mosqueta) about 5 years ago on the Lush UK forums. Someone mentioned they had acne-scarred skin and started using it with miraculous results. I went to my local apothecary and bought a 4 oz bottle for $40. (Yes, I live in New York City, and everything is overpriced). I began by using it sparingly (just a few drops) every morning just after washing my face and before putting on sunscreen. After about 2 weeks I noticed people complimenting me on my incredible skin. The words "dewy," "glowing," "smooth," and "even" were used. At one point I caught my sister just staring at my face, and a woman on the subway stopped me to ask me what skincare regimen I followed. The fact is that indeed, when I touched my skin and looked at it in the mirror it was soft as a baby's bum. That's how good this stuff is. It essentially eradicated scars, spots, and did wonders to correct my skin's uneven texture and color. I've never seen anything like it. Without a doubt the best, most effective, and ultimately (once I found it at the right price) affordable product I've ever used. These days, I modify my sunscreen by adding a tablespoon or two of rosehip seed oil to it. This way I apply both at the same time. I cannot gush enough about what a terrific find this was.

on 3/26/2011 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Rose hip oil is a good alternative to high brand skin care, as it is loaded with so many regenerating, anti aging and antioxidant substances that it makes almost every other anti aging serum gratuitous. First of all: transretinoic acid, a powerful active form of retinol (vitamin A). Second, it has a high content of vitamin E in form of many types of tocopherols (alpha, beta, gamma) - and not just one form (alpha-tocopherol or tocopheryl acetate) as you usually find in conventional cosmetics. This synergy and the content of phenols and sterols enable a stronger antioxidant function.
This oil also consists in a blend of essential fatty acids (alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid, and linoleic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid, gamma-linolenic acida, an other omega-6, lauric acid and palmitoleic acid), which are responsible for the cellular renew and for locking moisture in the skin.
Thanks to its structure rose hip oil can deeply penetrate the skin and has also very good healing properties on damaged skin (sun exposure, burns, scars, stretch marks).
I badly burned two of my fingers while cooking and I got big painful blisters. I applied this oil first on the blisters and then, after they burst, on the wounded skin beneath and after one week my fingers were as new.
It is extremely important to choose an oil of high quality. Rose hip is the generic terms for similar kind of plants. This oil can be pressed from the seeds of Rosa Canina but the best quality is from Rosa Eglanteria or Rubiginosa grown in sunny regions. It should be organic and not refined (cold pressure). The colour should be from dark golden to orange/red and the smell really strong. This oil is very sensitive and can loose its properties and get rancid if exposed to light and air. So it is better to put a small amount of oil in a small dispenser (better than in a dropper that you have to open every time) and store the remaining oil in the fridge. Iíve used several brands (Aíkin, Sukin, Aroma-Zone.com, Kosmea) so far and I havenít found dramatic differences but the best were the ones of orange, almost reddish colour and strong scent.
You donít need to use a lot. Four drops for the whole face will be enough and even less if you mix it to a serum. It is important to apply it when the skin is still damp and then to massage it gently in to the skin. Afterward I apply a good sunscreen in the morning, or I mix it with some serum or gel (vit. C, hyaluronic, aloe vera, algae or similar) for the night. I had beautiful results mixed to EL Advanced Night Repair.

on 2/1/2015 5:32:00 PM

I don't think the brand is particularly important as long as you buy pure, cold-pressed oil. Mine is from Life Flo Health and is $5-6 for 1 oz. on iherb, which is very reasonable, especially since you only need a few drops per use. I love the fact that this brand packages the oil in a dark glass dropper bottle, which makes dispensing very easy.

I have normal skin that tends to get a little oilier in warm weather but is very dry in cold weather. It is sensitive and can clog up and break out if I put the wrong thing on it, especially on certain days of the month. I also have a small, stubborn patch of seborrheic dermatitis near my eye.

I've been using this oil almost everyday for about 3 weeks. I apply a few drops to seal in a hydrating serum by Andalou Naturals and a moisturizing cream by BWC. My skin seems to stay moisturized better if I layer products like this. What I really like about rosehip seed oil is that it is a 'drier' oil, non-greasy and absorbs quickly without leaving a shiny finish. In that respect, it's a little better than argan oil to use under makeup during the day.

Another unexpected benefit is that it seems to have cleared up my seb derm. I've been using a pyrithione zinc cream on it for months, which helped clear it up about 75%. But using the RHS oil has cleared it up 100%. No more dryness, scaling, redness, itchiness or irritation--it's wonderful!

I've done a little research online and found that rosehip seed oil is very high in linoleic acid vs. oleic acid (this link (http://www.minimalistbeauty.com/oils-specifically-for-acne-prone-skin/) says it's 44.1% to 13.9%, though the amount can vary according to the brand and manufacturing process). Seborrheic dermatitis, which is basically just facial dandruff (lovely image, huh?) is caused by Malassezia yeast, which feeds on oleic acid, which is naturally produced by our skin. The yeast excretes substances that irritate skin, which results in flaking, redness, irritation, itching, etc.

So if you have dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis, try to avoid applying oils to your skin or scalp that have a high percentage of oleic acid like avocado oil, shea oil, olive oil, sweet almond oil, etc.

I'm unsure how, but applying an oil with a higher percentage of lineoleic acid seems to have helped my skin a great deal. Perhaps the fatty acids are helping to repair the damaged lipid barrier? The woman at the link found that high linoleic acid oils helped combat her acne. Who knows? I'm just glad to have found something inexpensive that moisturizes and heals my skin without causing breakouts or exacerbating my dermatitis. I also like that it contains a natural form of vitamin A, which is good for anti-aging. I will gladly repurchase and recommend.

ETA: I stopped using this oil for a little while so I could see how my skin reacted to some new Rx treatments. The Aczone and Tazorac did a good job of obliterating most types of zits and smoothed my skin out, but I still had large, hard cysts (the kind without a head so they can't be extracted). They were driving me nuts because they would hang out on my jaw for weeks and weeks without budging and then invite a friend or two to come on over during my time of the month.

I remembered my rose hip oil and massaged a couple of drops into my jaw and chin area and then went to bed not expecting much. I was shocked to find that the cysts had significantly shrunk by morning. A few more days of daily and nightly application and all of the cysts were completely gone!

I do not engage in hyperbole when it comes to skincare stuff so I mean it when I say that rose hip oil is a miracle in a bottle. continued >>

on 5/6/2015 6:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

After reading about rosehip seed oil (RSO) a few years ago, I bought and tried it. A cold pressed organic kind and whilst I gained plump skin, I also gained extra spots, so I stopped using and used in my body/hair butter.

Last July, after I wanted to bring my skincare steps down (abhorrent on makeupalley I know) a friend gave me some of her Rhassoul clay to use as a facial cleanser. Well that stuff balanced my skin nicely but made my skin a little dryer, I also found I had no need for my glycolic acid serum nor my BHA facial creme. I saw online a blogger how RSO helped her with her acne dark spots and I wanted to try again, so I bought RSO online and tried again. This time I diluted it with grapeseed oil 50:50 in a little dropper bottle recycled from a essential oil (cleaned out!) and BOOM my skin lapped it up. Couple of drops after cleansing, on a damp face and it soaked in beautifully. Able to put sunscreen and make up on almost immediately but more importantly no spots and no irritation. This cleanser then oil regimen had left my skin in better shape than anything my doctor, beautician or the beauty hall could offer me. By September I noticed my post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIP) had all but disappeared. I liked looking at my skin.

Change of season and the RSO/grapeseed oil mix wasn't cutting it my skin was dryer, so I looked in my kitchen cupboards and used ricebran oil 50% and RSO 50%... I also started to seal aloe vera gel instead of just water with my oil mix as well. Well by December I was getting complements on my skin and my hyperpigmemtation on my lower face had greatly reduced, so much so I go without makeup most days.

Spring now and rice bran oil is a little rich.... back to grapeseed oil or maybe a mix of the grapeseed and ricebran oils with the 50% RSO.

So if you first don't succeed, try diluting it. If you look at RSO as an active ingredient then some can use at full strength, others like myself at 50% or even at 25%.

my skin type: acne prone, irritable, mature, combination, with hyperpigmentation on lower half of face. HTH.
x

on 4/21/2015 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

After seeing a reviewer on this item post her before and after pics, I was sold. I couldn't help it! Her skin looked 2000x better. I know I shouldn't be so naive because it could've been a fake just to get more buyers on mountain herb but I did not care lol. I went ahead and purchased off mountain herb a large bottle and I will NEVER EVER live without it. I'm writing this review after a month and plan to update every so often. After getting froggy and trying oil (coconut, argan, evoo, jojoba) on my face in the past with terrible results, I was really skeptical. But I thought **** it. My skin is kinda somewhat damaged anyway. Just a few details on my skin: very acne prone. If I look at my skin wrong it breaks out. Not very sensitive. And really oily. Mild scarring. Mostly very shallow and light scars. Nothing major but I try to avoid certain lighting because it accentuates so well.. I received my bottle and transferred some oil into a vial with a dropper. I apply it twice every morning and every night! The first night I used it, I slapped it on my face and thought "here goes nothing." The next morning I woke up to beautiful plump, supple, gorgeous clear skin!! I will admit, I thought it was from my homemade vitamin c serum which I started using around the same time. I used it day and night as well as the c serum and I started to notice I was getting black heads.. Although I'm very prone to acne and used to have terrible cystic acne, I've never had a problem with blackheads. I stopped using the oil and stuck with my serum and so the black heads stuck. Finally I gave up on the c serum and tried one more time with the oil and the oil alone. Now, every single day I wake up with beautiful skin. It clears anything that might pop up on my face and it's so glowing and healthy. Forgive me for my novel but something this good skincare wise only happens to me once every never so when it does happen, I shout from the roof tops.

Update 5/7/2018: so much for updating lol. i just wanted to come back here and say that i havent used rosehip oil in awhile but i still like it alot! i plan on buying more soon. after i discovered my love for oils, i spent alot of time researching why some oils break me out horrendously and why some make me glow. i learned about the difference between oleic and linoleic acids. linoleic acids are dry oils and they are best for my skin. i still use oils and right now my favorite is prickly pear seed oil. i still recommend rosehip seed oil but ive been slowly experimenting with other linoleic acids.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This is a review for both my mom's and my own results using this oil. It supposedly contains a lot of antioxidants and fats/vitamins that repair/regenerate skin.
Used on damp, cleansed skin, it absorbs well.
I like to mix it with a few drops of organic extra virgin olive oil for myself--and used plain on my mom (I usually aim to give her a facial massage twice a week using this-on weekends when i stay over-she is also SUPPOSED to be using this every day as a serum, with her SPF dermalogica cream, though she often forgets!!).
For myself, I have found that it works to KIND OF, SOMEWHAT, refine pores. Not too much. It also makes my skin soft and smooth, but not significantly so. Big deal. i owned a bottle of this that recently ran out--have not bothered to repurchase--though i got another for my mom. I like a simple raw/organic coconut oil/olive oil combo on my skin better, i feel it fades hyper pigmentation significantly on me, it brightens+moisturizes and makes a better difference! i am in my early 20s. I tried using it on my pregnancy belly (raw, red skin, beginning of stretch marks, ugh!!), but honestly, plain olive oil works better to soothe/moisturize/heal it.
i much prefer the results of the rose hip oil on my mother (she is in mid-40's, btw), as the difference is dramatic and visible!! It VERY significantly moisturizes her dry, dehydrated skin--especially when followed with a generic moisturizer, though that isn't even necessary. I think the rose hip helps the moisturizer "penetrate" better than when i use it alone (i keep using the "I" word because SHE never uses moisturizer on her face, she gets me to do it for her!). It also faded her patch of hyperpigmentation a LITTLE, not too much, but it made a big difference! I think it MUST naturally contain some vitamin or chemical that fades darkness, because her dark circles reduced quite a bit, by using only this. Plus it made her skin appear plumper, probably from the moisturizing effect.
In fact, after a few weeks of using this, people (including myself) thought she was wearing foundation at a wedding, when in fact she had zero makeup on, just lipstick. This is quite a big deal--her skin used to be very bad, dry and the opposite of glowing--now it is radiant and soft. She is totally slack on her skincare routine, and rose hip oil is the only thing she remembers to use, so it could ONLY be this that made the difference! For simplicity and ease of use, this gets top marks.

on 12/15/2016 7:51:00 PM

I have delayed typing this review to see what effects rosehip oil would have over a longer period of time. I started using it 2 years ago when I was heavily pregnant with my daughter, and holy hell did it transform my face. My pregnancy was hard and my face nad been very ashen with big dark circles. This oil made me GLOW with a gorgeous dewy complexion within hours of applying it for the first time. (I apply 3-4 drops morning and night after washing my face). The mild pimples I had completely disappeared. I was so so happy.

Around the same time my belly skin was getting so00 tight from the pregnancy I started to see little hair line red stretch marks all over it. I was freaking out I have to admit as girlfriends warned me that stretch marks arrived over night in late pregnancy. I started slathering two droppers full worth of rosehip oil all over my belly maybe 3 times a day, and hey presto my skin became supple soft and moisturized. I never did get those stretch marks, and not only that a few months after giving birth my skin snapped back no sagginess of any kind. Like nothing ever happened! For those that say that it could have been genetics, well that's true, but I did get lots of stretch marks through puberty so I think in this case the rosehip oil really saved the day.

The rosehip saga continues...

Once the baby came I went through a period of very rapid aging. Between sleep deprivation, post partum anxiety, PTSD from the birth and scary family issues I was extremely stressed. Skin all over my body rapidly lost elasticity and thickness. My veins are so visible now everywhere, especially hands and upper arms. I am 31 but I swear after making comparisons my body looks like that of a 40yr old or older (except my belly which is ageless, haha). I now have madonna hands. I was on autopilot with my skin routine (just washing with water and rosehip oil) and amazingly my face didn't age anywhere near as badly. Facially I maybe look 35 at most, though maybe Im being harsh even in that judgement. My eye area in particular (the place where aging shows first and harshest due to the thinness of the skin) DID NOT AGE AT ALL. I wish I had the foresight to slather my whole body with the stuff. Now that the ageing has slowed down to normal levels, Im finding that my eye area is actually improving a little.

As amazing as this oil is though it is not perfect. For one it really aggravates my seborrheic dermatitis, but this is easily fixed by avoiding those areas which for me are sides of the nose and eyebrows. Secondly the quality of this oil seems to vary greatly by brand and even batch within a brand. Trilogy which is HG for many people performed Ok on me the next time, and the second bottle gave me a reaction which I assume was from being rancid (there was no smell in either bottle to alert me on any issues). Sukin has been hit and miss. One bottle was AMAZING, another reeked of off-fish so badly I had to return it. I think what is happening is that the demand for rosehip oil is increasing world wide as more and more people are discovering it, individual brands are buying from a diversity of suppliers to meet the demand. This leads to quality and processing issues. Still worth the hassle of switching brands and bad batches though. Make sure you buy from a shop that has a high turn over too, you don't want to buy something that has been sitting on a shelf for a year.

Thats it folks, happy hunting!

Popular Face Skincare Products