Color Oops Regular Strength Hair Color Remover

Color Oops Regular Strength Hair Color Remover
Regular Strength Hair Color RemoverRegular Strength Hair Color Remover

3.7

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have a love/hate relationship with this product. I've had too many encounters with it to specify but I have learned quite a bit through trial and error, emphasis on error. So to spare yourself I hope you read and learn!

THE PRODUCT:
Ranges in price from 9.99 to 15.99, your cheapest bet being Walmart or to catch it on sale at Walgreens. It comes in Regular and Extra Strength though I've gone balls to the wall, so to speak, every time and purchased the Extra Strength. You mix the fluids together enclosed in the box and it smells like death. Worse than hair dye. I can tolerate a lot but for those faint of heart, do it outside or prepare a fan/ open window. (EDIT: there may be other Color Oops products, these are just the 2 I've seen in store)

APPLICATION:
after mixed, you apply this super runny stinky product to dry hair and thoroughly saturate. For my shoulder length hair I buy TWO boxes because if applied uneven you have to go back to the store smelling rank plus its VERY drying to have to do twice. Now it says 20 min, I suggest staying near a mirror to watch it process. Whether I've attempted to remove level 1 Black hair dye to light brown/red/brown, Color Oops usually takes me to the same medium/light orangey color. the next part is KEY
YOU MUST shampoo like your life depends on it. No matter how tiresome or over it you become, just shampoo your heart out. I have done so until the water runs cold and guess what, the dark color COMES BACK.

***If you do not rinse this product out thoroughly, one or two things will happen: 1) the dye molecules will reoxidize (unsure if this is the proper terminology) or 2) when you go to redye, no matter the color, once your head is exposed to peroxide the color will darken significantly or again, reoxidize leftover molecules.***

I have spent and entire day Color Oopsing 3/4 times back to back to keep the dark color at bay (this was when I removed black dye). All I can do is stress the importance of shampooing/rinsing. The most recent time I used this product, I first showered with shampoo until the water ran cold (25 minutes or so) and then laid down in the tub, opened a book and left my head under the spout. The color did not redarken. Granted it was a dark red, infinitely easier to remove than black, but still.

To those who would like to use this product, consider spending an ample amount of time carefully using and rinsing this product. You can recolor afterwards, as I've also done, just be weary of picking a shade or 3 lighter than your desired level and also invest in some good conditioning products. I would even suggest strand testing and if you can, giving your hair a 24 hour break after color stripping to ensure the color won't reappear.

I also want to say that the first time I used this product was much easier than say, the 3rd or 4th time due to the overlap and buildup of dye. Therefore, I think if you made a novice mistake with fairly virginal hair, then this may work wonders for you without the hassle. But if you're like me and you frequently dye your hair, buy yourself some advil while youre at the store.
Also, it will not take you back to your natural color. I'm not sure if the box claims that, but chemicals alter your hair color, your hair's chemistry. Another misconception is that this is a safe alternative to bleach. While bleaching is basically like nuking one's hair, this product is very drying and also damaging. The lesser of two evils, maybe.

ALL IN ALL,
of course give this a shot if youre unsatisfied with a recent dye job, even older dye jobs, I'll venture to say as I've had success with that too. But again, take the allotted time to rinse hair and shampoo like a maniac. Otherwise you'll be near back where you started with double the damage.

on 11/18/2014 4:23:00 PM

Before using Color Oops, I had bleached my hair to blonde, and soon after dyed it black. I used Color Oops with the hopes of removing the black to return to blonde but the most it did was lighten it slightly. At that point I immediately thought it was a waste of $20. So again, with the hopes of returning to blonde, I purchased bleach and followed my routine as usual. The results? Nothing. I'm assuming the chemicals of the Color Oops have prevented the bleach from its own chemical reaction. I now still have ugly slightly brown hair and $30 out of my pocket. I can't get my money back and apparently can't even fix my hair. Would not recommend this product. My hair is ruined, the money was not worth it.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is for the Extra Conditioning version. I'm a natural blonde who colors my hair different shades all the time, using permanent dye. This round I went from pale blonde, reddish blonde, light auburn to bright auburn, then decided I wanted my blonde back. My only hope for this product was that it would remove most of the red so I could re color my hair to a medium golden blonde. I wasn't expecting miracles, but lo and behold, I applied this and rinsed exactly per instructions and when I was done, I had the prettiest pale yellow/golden blonde that does not need to be colored! My hair is a little dried out, but nothing near what bleaching would have done. As for the smell, yes it's not pleasant, but who cares when it works this well!

on 7/13/2014 2:16:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

For all you looking to remove vegi based dyes (like manic panic and nrage) this will NOT work.

Anyways, I've found this brand to be a lot smellier than others I've tried. The smell really stinks up everything it touches and leaves the fume lingering for awhile.

The color stripping aspect of it is ok. I had to use it twice to get my black hair down to a dark blonde. Again, the smell really sticks to your hair.

Also, be aware that although this doesn't have peroxide it may strip the colors off any clothing you have so just be careful.

One plus to this product is that they do give you a pretty good amount so you're less worried that you'll cover your head.

Overall, an ok color stripper in a pinch but you can find better. Loreal carries one that's really good.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Okay, I JUST finished the long, long rinse and I've gotta say: I'm impressed with how much black the Color Oops removed from my hair.
I've been dying my hair black for years (like, 15 years) and decided that since I'm going to be cutting off a good chunk of length: I'll Splat it Lavender till I do. I figured that pulling as much black out first will help to make the Lavender more vibrant (fingers crossed.)
Please people, READ THE DIRECTIONS AND FOLLOW THEM BEFORE YOU USE THE COLOR OOPS. It is NOT a bleach, it will NOT remove natural color. What this does is shrink the color molecules so they can be RINSED OUT... If you skimp on the rinsing, you're going to be very upset when the removal seems to reverse itself as the remaining color swells back up in the hair and your hair gets darker again.
Also, as soon as you mix the product you have to get it onto your hair FAST, once it's mixed it is only effective for 20 minutes. Doesn't matter if its on your head or in the bottle while you take your time fiddling with your hair- 20 minutes and then its done doing what it does. So be quick!
If you have thick or long hair you will likely need a second kit. If you've been dying your hair for a long time, you might need to repeat the process, this product is most effective at removing THE MOST RECENT DYE YOU'VE USED.
I'm happy with the results, but I read up on this stuff and knew that it wouldn't remove ALL of the black from my hair (it certainly removed a lot of it though, impressive for something that is not bleach.)
Understand that all permanent haircolor contains some sort of peroxide ingredient, so there is a good chance that if ColorOops does pull all the color out, your hair will be a couple shades lighter than it naturally is.
If you're planning on dying your hair right afterwards, your hair will be very, VERY porous and will grab the color like mad... So, choose a shade AT LEAST one shade lighter than you want because it will be darker than you think.
If you have even the slightest sensitive skin for the love of all thats holy DO A PATCH TEST 24 hours in advance of using this stuff!!!
Good luck, this stuff is a viable alternative for going and getting the salon to strip the color out with bleach. You get what you pay for, for 15 bucks you're not going to get salon results but its worth a try.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This worked for me just the way I'd hoped it would. I used Color Oops around 24 hours (maybe less) after my bad dye job. My CVS only had the Extra Strength version - Cost Fourteen Ninety-Nine.

I had impulsively dyed my medium brown hair with L'Oreal Excellence Natural Black box dye that I had lying around and the results were just too, too dark, and completely UN-natural for my complexion. Also had a green tinge, ugh.

I was very mad at myself because I had only recently grown my hair out to my shoulders after having dyed it black for years... this last year was the first time in many that I had actually seen my natural color!

Next day, I went online to find ways to at least lighten it up a bit and found Color Oops reccommendations... I was worried it could damage my hair, but I figured I have a gift certificate to Aveda Salon, so if I mess it up, I could always get it professionally fixed (that was actually my first plan, but they couldn't fit me in for 4 days and I read the first 48 hours after dyeing is your best chance for fixing it). So...

I followed the directions to a "T", leaving the solution in my hair for 20 minutes after I'd completed application. The smell was not that bad to me, but all noses are different. I did detect the sulfur smell, it just didn't bug me.

Based on another reviewer's notes, I took extra care to detangle with a wide tooth "shower comb", both after applying the Oops to my hair and then while rinsing, rinsing, rinsing. I rinsed for probably 25 minutes (definitely the most thorough rinse of my life!), shampooing once in the beginning, conditioning halfway through, because all my hair became a huge knot after rinsing upside down, then shampooed again, rinsed and conditioned with Joico K-pak Reconstruct Conditioner (not deep treatment) and put a shower cap on to let the condish do it's work.

After 15 minutes, I rinsed the Conditioner out and went out for the night, hair still damp (but detangled). My fingers were in my hair all night; it was so silky soft! Don't know where the credit lies there (guessing the conditioner) but the point is - zero damage... no straw hair, no excessive fall out, no lingering sulfur smell, no problems at all.

When I looked at my dry hair it was back to almost the color it was before the black, possibly a bit lighter or maybe redder, which the FAQ on Color Oops site said may happen because of the peroxide in permamnent haircolor (which lifts your hair color before depositing the dye, even black dye). I was happy with it and did not redye.

Now a week later, I'd say it has perhaps darkened just a shade since then, but in no way has it gone anywhere near back to black.

I hope not to have to use this again, but would not hesitate to grab up some Color Oops if I ever make a bad hair Dye decision again!

on 10/15/2012 6:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've used Color Oops several times, but it's unpredictable what you'll get. Most of the time it always turns to a brassy strawberry blond-ish color for me. I will say for the most part it's not overly damaging, but I think I used the one that was supposed to be moisturizing. But when I went to a salon only a week after using it they couldn't believe that my hair was in that good of a condition. But this is something akin to bleaching. You are still lifting color out of your hair, and it can be just as damaging.

on 6/12/2012 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Girls, this is a fantastic product. I dyed my hair "Dark Blonde" permanent color two weeks ago in an attempt to even out my past-shoulder length, fine hair, which was 1) dark brown/greyish roots, and 2) the rest an overbleached and many-colored blondes and light browns, all dull.
The result was too dark and very ashy. Also no shine.
I bought the Color Oops after reading all reviews and cautions (thanks everyone!).
I did exactly as instructed, including rinsing the full 20 minutes, 2nd shampoo, and rinsing another 5.
Then I deep conditioned, put on shower cap and towel, and waited 1 hour.
Rinsed out and air-dried.

My hair has NEVER LOOKED BETTER! It is a beautiful light golden blonde, curly and shiny. I feel like Taylor Swift!!! :+)

Altthough I plan to get that protein filler others recommended for next time I wash my hair just to strengthen it, I will leave it alone. It is glorious! I highly recommend Color Oops.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This really does work, in my experience. I bought it when I first started dying my hair black - The very first black dye I used did not turn out very pretty, and my hair looked very inky and dull. I bought a box of this, which was very inexpensive at the drugstore, and used it to remove the original black color. Let me tell you that it does smell absolutely disgusting. I was coughing and gagging in my bathroom and had to go outside for some of the process. It lifted the black right off my hair. My natural color is a dark auburn, but by the time the Color Oops was done setting, my roots were a yellow-blonde color and my roots were red-orange. Freaky! You then have to stand in the shower and wash your hair for forty-five minutes, no exaggeration. I will be honest and say that the process was miserable. However, once I had washed it out of my hair, I waited a few hours for it to dry and then applied the new color. It came out beautifully in the end, and my hair didn't feel too damaged even after being dyed, stripped, and dyed again within two days. I didn't have a problem with the dark color returning, but then again, I was dying my hair black. Not a fun thing to do, but if you ever find yourself hating the new color on your hair, this is an effective product.

on 5/12/2012 3:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

A little history on my hair. I'm 52 with heavy white around my face and dark blonde/white mix throughout the rest of my head. It hits a bit below my shoulder blades and I've been having highlights (bleached) and lowlights professionally done for a number of years. This past fall, on a whim, I decided to go red. I used a permanent drugstore brand hair dye. I stayed red, going to my stylist until last month. Then I decided I wanted to go back to blonde for the summer. My stylist was less than enthusiastic, and actually started tearing up when I told her. She was afraid my hair would melt when she did highlights on top of "hidden" highlights. So, I decided to fix it myself. LOL!! I started by using a green based light blonde Clairol permanent dye. The highlighted portions of my hair, though hidden under red, sucked up that dye and I was left with warm brown hair with hideously dark, almost black streaks all around my face! Yikes! I read up on Color Oops and decided to give it a try. I bought the extra strength. I fully expected to be bowled over by the noxious smell, based upon what I had read here, but I have to say the smell was not nearly as bad as I expected. Yeah, it wasn't roses, but it didn't bother me and didn't linger in my hair past a couple of shampoos. I DID the strand test and the 24 hour skin patch test, to be sure A) my hair wouldn't melt and B) I wasn't allergic to the chemicals. The strand test didn't lighten as much as I would like, but my hair seemed in decent condition afterwards, so I proceeded. I left it on for the recommended 20 minutes and then shampooed twice and rinsed for 25 minutes. I then shampooed again and rinsed another 5. While it definitely lightened my hair overall, it certainly did not remove all the color. The previously black streaks were now a darker brown, and the rest of my hair lightened to a light reddish brown. I then applied Joico Kpak Reconstructive Conditioner to my towel dried hair and covered with a plastic cap. I slept in it overnight. The next morning, my hair felt soft and healthy. I don't believe the Color Oops did any damage at all. The next weekend, I went to a new stylist (my old one still doesn't want to touch my hair, LOL) and she did heavy highlights. She said my hair seemed to be in great condition. While Color Oops did not remove all of the layers of hair color, it did lighten the most recent color quite a bit. All in all I was pretty happy with it and would definitely use it again.