Color Oops Regular Strength Hair Color Remover

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Color Oops Regular Strength Hair Color Remover
Regular Strength Hair Color RemoverRegular Strength Hair Color Remover

2.6

I used this product to help strip out my permanent black hair dye. I found that it was pretty effective, although it did not strip out all of the colour - I went from a soft black to a very dark brown/black with some reddish orange tones that needed to be toned with an ashy semi-permanent colour. With the regrowth that I have there is still a pretty bad line where my natural colour ends and the lightened black hair starts so I will likely have to bleach the tips and then tone it again anyway. The Oops product uses sulfur/oxidation process to open up the hair cuticle so that the dye particles can become released with shampoo, thats why shampooing multiple times is so important (if you dont the cuticle will close again and hang onto the dye particles). Be warned though you will stink like eggs for days regardless of shampooing.... Overall decent product, but will likely need to bleach and tone anyway when removing dyed black hair.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I have been dying my hair dark brown for 5 years now and although I love the dark brown color my natural is very light ash brown, so the contrast between the roots and the rest of the hair is really noticeable. Sick of dying my hair every month to mask this contrast, I decided to go back to my natural color...

I read all the reviews on MUA before I purchased this product. I followed the directions and made sure to not make the mistakes that some people did in their reviews. My hair is really long and thick, it goes right below my boobs, so I bought two boxes of Color Oops. I applied it to my hair and left it in for 20 minutes. After that I rinsed for 25 minutes and believe me my knees were trembling and my back hurt so much from leaning on the bathtub but I told myself I had to suck it up if I want good results. While I was rinsing I didn't see any colour(dye) rinsing out of my hair what so ever so I thought wow I just suffered through this horrendous smell for nothing. I then left in a conditioner for 15 minutes and rinsed again. After this extremely long process I dried my hair and it only lightened one shade from what I had before and no one would even be able to tell except for me. I was expecting way more considering all the reviews that I have read. Taking that into account I am really disappointed and would definitely not buy this product again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Awful. Just ridiculously awful. It was about 5 bucks. So not a bad price. But it smells so bad. Like a sewer or a nasty fart. I thought it was lightening my hair. Through the cap i could see it was blonde again. After getting out of the shower and letting it dry, it went straight back to dark brown. Half a shade lighter at the most. Not pleased at all. I would never recommend this product.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

So. This is the story girl who once had the wonderful idea to dye her golden blonde / light brown hair dark brown. Dark, DARK brown. Almost black brown. Yuck.

The dark brown hair looked terrible, and she wanted it removed as quickly as possible. She tried everything. First, she just washed it again and again with a non-color protecting shampoo. When that didn't work, she realized she would have to take more drastic action.

The girl did her research and tried out a number of home remedies that had the potential to remove hair dye. First, she tried dish detergent (yes, she was so desperate she actually put Dawn dish detergent--the same kind they use to clean animals after an oil spill--in her hair). Next she tried a concoction of baking soda and clarifying shampoo and experienced little success. She continued: hot oil treatments, Vitamin-C mixtures that sat in her hair for hours at a time, harsh dandruff and baby shampoo. Nothing worked. Even after all those treatments, her hair was only slightly less dark than before.

Fearing she would soon do permanent damage to her hair, the girl made one last ditch effort: Color Oops. The first time she used Color Opps, the girl did not distribute it evenly throughout her hair, and she did not saturate her hair completely. Mistake. The girl's hair was completely unaffected by the product.

But. The girl was desperate, so she decided to give Color Oops one more shot. This time, she used a wide toothed comb to completely saturate all of her hair. Further, she did not let her hair become tangled and matted as she rinsed (like she did the last time). This time, she combed her hair throughout the entire rinsing process, helping to coax the evil black dye from her hair. And she didn't just rinse for 20 minutes as the instructions on the box told her to. No. She rinsed for a full hour, complete with shampoos in between. And this time, this time it worked. Though her hair was still tinted with the nasty dark dye, it was, in fact, significantly lightened by the Color Oops.

But seriously, guys. If you're really desperate, Color Oops does work. However, word to the wise: the single most important step in using this product is rinsing it out. Once you think you're done rinsing, rinse some more. And if you think you're done after that, rinse more. Rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse. Oh, and comb through your hair as you rinse. Color Oops made my hair really tangly and matted, so I just kept combing as I rinsed.

Now I feel as though my hair has potential to be back to normal. I won't dye it again, but I am going to use the John Frieda Go Blonder Shampoo and Conditioner to try to continue to lighten my hair back to its original color.

After going through my whole fiasco, I bought a really nice conditioner ( the Macadamia Oil Deep Repair Masque) and it has helped my hair tons. You'll need a good conditioner after using Color Oops, and your hair deserves it after this torture!

on 9/18/2008 12:01:00 AM

Okay, I used to think this was crap but it's great. It's mainly good if you're trying to remove one hair color. So if you've dyed your hair black a million times and want to get rid of it, this might not do the job completely. i dyed my hair dark brown after lightening it and i realized it was too dark so i used this today. currently it's brassy and orange (it's supposed to be that way after using a product like this) but it's lighter, so I can put a new color on. thank you color oops!