Color Oops Regular Strength Hair Color Remover

Regular Strength Hair Color RemoverRegular Strength Hair Color Remover

3.8

on 7/13/2014 2:16:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

For all you looking to remove vegi based dyes (like manic panic and nrage) this will NOT work.

Anyways, I've found this brand to be a lot smellier than others I've tried. The smell really stinks up everything it touches and leaves the fume lingering for awhile.

The color stripping aspect of it is ok. I had to use it twice to get my black hair down to a dark blonde. Again, the smell really sticks to your hair.

Also, be aware that although this doesn't have peroxide it may strip the colors off any clothing you have so just be careful.

One plus to this product is that they do give you a pretty good amount so you're less worried that you'll cover your head.

Overall, an ok color stripper in a pinch but you can find better. Loreal carries one that's really good.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I've had red hair for five years, and recently ive decided for a change. Prior to dying my hair red i had black hair for about 3 years. I decided to give color oops a try to wash the red dye out. I applied it all over my hair, left it in for 20 min. as recommended, and followed the instructions. My hair is now a light brown with brassy tones, just after the one use. The product surprised me as to how well it worked to take the years of hair dye out. My hair feels exactly the same prior to using the product. Although, it worked fantastically, i did miss few spots so i will need to purchase the product again. To ensure you don't have to re-due the process make sure that you cover all of your hair. Overall i was extremely happy with this product and i would recommend it to anyone who is trying to strip their hair without adding a lot of damage.

on 10/6/2013 9:56:00 PM

THANK GOD!
I have been salon highlighting/ coloring my hair for the past ten+ years. If you’ve gone from brown to highlighted hair, you know how over time, it can get dry and porous. It also fades to the same shade of blah blond, no matter how great it looks after you’ve had it highlighted, low lighted or color woven. And over time, the hair becomes so fried that if you have curly hair like I do (did), it then turns to frizz. SO I decided after my last salon experience (this one at an Aveda salon where they claim the color technique is healthier, and ended up with the same frizzy, faded result) to take matters into my own hands and try something I did years ago- Apply a semi permanent rinse that would wash out in six-eight shampoos and bring my root growth and my blond together, while coating and protecting the faded ends. I should also mention that my base color is a light ash brown with some gray in it. Well- I purchased a Semi Permanent hair color (Loving Care also used to have something close to this, which I loved, and which they no longer make) in several shades to try out. I started with the lightest shade, Gold, thinking this would be the safest way to go- You know, tone down the faded blond and add some shine to the roots. Well- No such luck! I guess because my hair was SO porous that the color I applied looked nothing like the lovely gold I thought it would be. Rather, I had the most garish shade of orange/auburn. Dreadful! I applied a vinegar rinse and shampooed my little heart out… No luck. The next day, I shampooed several times again (supposed to wash out, right?). Then I just had a lighter shade of orange. Clearly, this was not going to end well… I thought about putting a darker rinse on my hair, but was afraid of looking garish. Then, through this site, I found Hair Oops. Found it in the store and rushed home to do a strand test… So far, so good! Applied it to my entire head (and yes, it stinks to high hell) and checked the color every five minutes… thought it would not take long, since the color I’d applied was only a rinse and had been on only two days. However, I guess because my hair was so porous, it took the entire 20 minutes. I thought the instructions to rinse for 15 minutes must have been a misprint, but I wasn’t taking any chances… I rinsed like crazy in the sink (not for the full time, I admit), then shampooed, then shampooed again and let that sit on my hair for a bit, then into the shower and rinsed, rinsed, rinsed. Then a deep conditioner.

STUNNING RESULTS. Here is the really interesting part… My hair looks like it was JUST highlighted! Shiny, shimmering, golden highlights. AND even the roots look highlighted! There is so much shine on my hair, I can hardly believe it. I am now wondering if the last time I got it color woven if perhaps it didn’t just dull the whole thing. I suppose that now I have just highlighted hair. I intend to put a protective glaze over it. But the great news is, I can go probably another month before I attempt once again to do anything with the color. I doubt I will put another rinse on it, probably will have a tinted glaze professionally applied. But I tell you- This product is AMAZING. And my hair feels healthier than it has in ages. Recommended!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This worked for me just the way I'd hoped it would. I used Color Oops around 24 hours (maybe less) after my bad dye job. My CVS only had the Extra Strength version - Cost Fourteen Ninety-Nine.

I had impulsively dyed my medium brown hair with L'Oreal Excellence Natural Black box dye that I had lying around and the results were just too, too dark, and completely UN-natural for my complexion. Also had a green tinge, ugh.

I was very mad at myself because I had only recently grown my hair out to my shoulders after having dyed it black for years... this last year was the first time in many that I had actually seen my natural color!

Next day, I went online to find ways to at least lighten it up a bit and found Color Oops reccommendations... I was worried it could damage my hair, but I figured I have a gift certificate to Aveda Salon, so if I mess it up, I could always get it professionally fixed (that was actually my first plan, but they couldn't fit me in for 4 days and I read the first 48 hours after dyeing is your best chance for fixing it). So...

I followed the directions to a "T", leaving the solution in my hair for 20 minutes after I'd completed application. The smell was not that bad to me, but all noses are different. I did detect the sulfur smell, it just didn't bug me.

Based on another reviewer's notes, I took extra care to detangle with a wide tooth "shower comb", both after applying the Oops to my hair and then while rinsing, rinsing, rinsing. I rinsed for probably 25 minutes (definitely the most thorough rinse of my life!), shampooing once in the beginning, conditioning halfway through, because all my hair became a huge knot after rinsing upside down, then shampooed again, rinsed and conditioned with Joico K-pak Reconstruct Conditioner (not deep treatment) and put a shower cap on to let the condish do it's work.

After 15 minutes, I rinsed the Conditioner out and went out for the night, hair still damp (but detangled). My fingers were in my hair all night; it was so silky soft! Don't know where the credit lies there (guessing the conditioner) but the point is - zero damage... no straw hair, no excessive fall out, no lingering sulfur smell, no problems at all.

When I looked at my dry hair it was back to almost the color it was before the black, possibly a bit lighter or maybe redder, which the FAQ on Color Oops site said may happen because of the peroxide in permamnent haircolor (which lifts your hair color before depositing the dye, even black dye). I was happy with it and did not redye.

Now a week later, I'd say it has perhaps darkened just a shade since then, but in no way has it gone anywhere near back to black.

I hope not to have to use this again, but would not hesitate to grab up some Color Oops if I ever make a bad hair Dye decision again!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This product saved my hair! I dyed it with natural instincts semi permanent dark brown and it came out JET BLACK. I looked like a witch. My hair was literally dark as night. I tried hot oil treatments and all that jazz and it barely faded. So I decided to use color oops and I'm so thankful I did. It left me with a natural chestnut color. I was worried it was gonna be orange but it's not! The product doesn't even smell bad like people say.. at first I was like hey this smells good! Because it smelled very fruity.. but once I started applying it the smell kicked in. It doesn't smell like rotten eggs, more like car exhaust fumes. The smell does linger a tiny bit but it'll go away after you shower. It left my hair drier than usual obviously but it's not damaged. Overall I'm very pleased with this product and i'm so glad my hair isn't ugly black anymore.

on 3/30/2012 1:31:00 AM

15 years of pharmacy style box hair dye adds up to hair that WILL NOT bleach.
Or at lest for my hair it does. I have been dying my hair a dark auburn, from an even darker chestnut for over a decade.

I always wanted it a bit lighter but nothing I purchased seemed to do anything but make my roots radioactive in brightness.
So I would grab some demi-permanint brown and coat my hair, just to get rid of the harsh band between root and hair.

Twice now over the course of 5 years I have decided to go lighter, both times I used "oops".

The product is in fact a bit stinky, and quite runny, but very east to work though hair. I would advise two bottles to anyone with a substantial amount of hair. Just to be safe.

Both times its worked beautifully, went in hair, worked though hair, washed with about 5 different brands of shampoo (for very effective stripping) for 20 min, and subsequently dyed it a lighter shade of red.

Hair looks fantastic, feels healthy and fine. I didn't loose hair or anything drastic like that.

As far as I can tell this stuff does exactly what it says it does, removes as much color as possible.

To be fair I have never used black shades, I usually dye it as little as possible, and generally do not require much hair attention.
My experience may be unique, but the dyes I have used in the past have not been, and chemically speaking that says everything.

This stuff strips out typical drug store dyes, smells funky but not horrible, and does not seem largely damaging.

Yay!

on 2/18/2012 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I've been dying my naturally auburn hair jet black for the past 10 years. Not demi but permanent color was used. I have tried bleaching, hi-lift re-color, you name it and all had only lightened my virgin roots and not the mid/end sections of my hair, and of course damaged the heck out of my hair. I decided to research some more and saw the product Color Oops. Read the reviews and decided to purchase.

Upon reading the directions, I noticed that it said for use on the most recent dye job. Well I can tell you that 10 years worth of dying was removed for me. My hair is very short so 1 box was more than enough. The kit came with everything, including cap and gloves. Was runny upon application, but thickened up during the 20 minute waiting period. Make sure to have a towl on hand or baby wipes to clean up the drips down your face, etc. I did not seem to bleach any fabric that was touched by it (my towel). The smell was not as bad as everyone says it is. It did leave my hair feeling dry however my hair was already damaged from all that previous bleaching done.

After 20 minutes, I jumped in the shower and shampooed and rinsed for another 20 minutes. Shampooed again and rinse for another few minutes. My hair is super short and thin so I shortened the time to a total of 20 minutes ( 15 + 5).

Put on a good conditioner and my hair felt super silky and no longer damaged. The color I came out with after the jet black? Was a strawberry blonde due to the bleaching I was doing. The parts that did not bleach were actually my original hair color. :) I had a few stubborn ends though (not very much) that only changed a couple of shades lighter however I used a pre-color (Ion) treatment that I got at Sally's and re-colored my hair the same night without any excess darkening (as warned in previous posts) of the hair dye I used. In fact the color came out exactly as on the box and my ends blended in.

I never thought in a million years that I would be able to strip all that black from my hair. I plan on keeping a box or two for future use. A bit expensive, but I suppose it's worth it. Nothing like it out there and beats the $300+ I was told would cost for the salon to "attempt" a color correction.

on 1/28/2012 8:05:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I've been blonde for years and decided to go back closer to my natural color. I did my hair medium brown using a 'semi-permanent'. It turned nearly black, and I couldn't stand it! Tried hot oil, head and shoulders, clarifying shampoo with a mixture of baking soda in it... hardly a fade! Groan! Weep! Wail and lament! So I bit the bullet and bought this. I was terrified after reading the reviews, but figured wigs these days are awfully pretty, if worst came to worst. It was about 16 bucks Canadian - in my bad hair situation, that was a steal! i donned the gloves, mixed the bottles, and threw the runny, clear mixture in as fast as i could! O.k gals... so it doesn't smell like roses, but it's not unbearably foul either. A mild sulfurous smell at worst. After 20 mins, all was looking promising- a freaky, light orange and goldish color greeted me in the mirror,but it was all good, because i had a color ready to throw in when all was done. Heck, I was just grateful to be light again! I turned on the tunes, and set in for the 20 minute shower rinse. I had my shower comb to keep from tangling, and after 10 mins I used a clarifying shampoo, rinsed for 5 more minutes, and realized the product wasn't damaging my hair- the extensive rinsing was! So I chose to stop rinsing at 15 mins, and threw on a deep conditioning hair hair masque for a few more mins. When my hair felt out of the danger zone, I rinsed yet again and dried my hair and pruney self off. I realize I could have rinsed (starting to hate that word!) longer for lighter results, but my hair dried a nice, very light golden brown that is actually complimentary enough that I have chose not to re-color, and because I heard my hair cry 'uncle' and deep conditioned before the damage got done, it feels soft and looks great! I had really only wanted to fade the color in the first place, but for those of you that want total removal: RINSE RINSE AND RINSE SOME MORE!!

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

i bought this to lift black dye out of m dark brown hair
it did nothing and there wasnt enough for my hair
but i saturated my bangs and they remained black
but i used them on hair extensions and it lifted the black out
although i used the extra conditioning my hair felt like straw
never buy again !

This product was great. My hair was dyed medium brown over my bleached hair. I then decided I wanted my hair pink, so I bleached it, and the bleach turned it more-so a dark blonde, so the pink didn't take very well and I wasn't pleased. So I used Color Oops today, only left it on for 20 minutes, washed it out, and my hair is now a very nice shade of dark blonde. I'll be bleaching/redying it pink soon. I'm super pleased with Color Oops. And it doesn't smell as bad as everyone says... kinda smells like a nail salon. Either way, this stuff saved my hair's butt.