Color Oops Regular Strength Hair Color Remover

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Color Oops Regular Strength Hair Color Remover
Regular Strength Hair Color RemoverRegular Strength Hair Color Remover

3.5

I used this product to help strip out my permanent black hair dye. I found that it was pretty effective, although it did not strip out all of the colour - I went from a soft black to a very dark brown/black with some reddish orange tones that needed to be toned with an ashy semi-permanent colour. With the regrowth that I have there is still a pretty bad line where my natural colour ends and the lightened black hair starts so I will likely have to bleach the tips and then tone it again anyway. The Oops product uses sulfur/oxidation process to open up the hair cuticle so that the dye particles can become released with shampoo, thats why shampooing multiple times is so important (if you dont the cuticle will close again and hang onto the dye particles). Be warned though you will stink like eggs for days regardless of shampooing.... Overall decent product, but will likely need to bleach and tone anyway when removing dyed black hair.

on 1/31/2015 5:52:00 PM

this is the second time i have used it and i have it on my head right now, SO, i cannot speak to its eficacy at the moment BUT i wanted to write a review because it does not smell NEARLY as bad as i remember it smelling when i used it in 2012...i don't know if they changed the formula, or if my nose has changed or what, but to me it has a distinct citrusy smell with much less of the sulfur than i remember. that is all. thank goodness!

fyi - i am using the extra strength one, the one with the curly haired girl on the box. maybe that's the difference?

on 11/18/2014 4:23:00 PM

Before using Color Oops, I had bleached my hair to blonde, and soon after dyed it black. I used Color Oops with the hopes of removing the black to return to blonde but the most it did was lighten it slightly. At that point I immediately thought it was a waste of $20. So again, with the hopes of returning to blonde, I purchased bleach and followed my routine as usual. The results? Nothing. I'm assuming the chemicals of the Color Oops have prevented the bleach from its own chemical reaction. I now still have ugly slightly brown hair and $30 out of my pocket. I can't get my money back and apparently can't even fix my hair. Would not recommend this product. My hair is ruined, the money was not worth it.

on 7/13/2014 2:16:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

For all you looking to remove vegi based dyes (like manic panic and nrage) this will NOT work.

Anyways, I've found this brand to be a lot smellier than others I've tried. The smell really stinks up everything it touches and leaves the fume lingering for awhile.

The color stripping aspect of it is ok. I had to use it twice to get my black hair down to a dark blonde. Again, the smell really sticks to your hair.

Also, be aware that although this doesn't have peroxide it may strip the colors off any clothing you have so just be careful.

One plus to this product is that they do give you a pretty good amount so you're less worried that you'll cover your head.

Overall, an ok color stripper in a pinch but you can find better. Loreal carries one that's really good.

on 3/7/2014 8:38:00 PM

Okay, this is the absolute worst product to ever put on your hair. It's greasy & runs down your hair way too fast. It never did it's job, either; I did a bad dye job attempting to do my hair purple, I used this. It made my roots black & my hair up top lighter blonde & it's still purple. Waste of money. It smells more disgusting than any product you've used before. Guaranteed. I'm sick to my stomach after using it. Literally.

I have spent the past year getting blonde highlights from the salon. I was so in love with my hair and constantly got compliments on it, but one day I had an impulse to go reddish blonde.........terrible idea. I thought I ruined my hair color for good. I knew that if I applied blonde dye over my red hair that it would react badly, but then I remembered this product and wanted to give it a try, It worked so good, maybe it was because I had a light red in my hair that it was so easy/fast to get rid of, I don't know.

After using this I was back to blonde, I had a few orange tones so I used Wella t18 toner and it got all of the orange out. Now I have what I call Taylor Swift ashy blonde hair. It isn't the old color I lost, but it is a start and much better than the red I had

Also, every review I have read complains about the smell. Am I the only one who thought it had a nice fruity smell? Maybe I am just not sensitive to smells, but I didn't smell anything bad.

In short, i loved this stuff and in the future if I ever want to change my color, then go back to blonde I know that it is now possible.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I have been dying my hair dark brown for 5 years now and although I love the dark brown color my natural is very light ash brown, so the contrast between the roots and the rest of the hair is really noticeable. Sick of dying my hair every month to mask this contrast, I decided to go back to my natural color...

I read all the reviews on MUA before I purchased this product. I followed the directions and made sure to not make the mistakes that some people did in their reviews. My hair is really long and thick, it goes right below my boobs, so I bought two boxes of Color Oops. I applied it to my hair and left it in for 20 minutes. After that I rinsed for 25 minutes and believe me my knees were trembling and my back hurt so much from leaning on the bathtub but I told myself I had to suck it up if I want good results. While I was rinsing I didn't see any colour(dye) rinsing out of my hair what so ever so I thought wow I just suffered through this horrendous smell for nothing. I then left in a conditioner for 15 minutes and rinsed again. After this extremely long process I dried my hair and it only lightened one shade from what I had before and no one would even be able to tell except for me. I was expecting way more considering all the reviews that I have read. Taking that into account I am really disappointed and would definitely not buy this product again.

I've been dying my hair for over ten years, multiple times a year. You name a color, I've used it: every shade of red imaginable, black, bleach, henna, etc. I have layers upon layers of color on my poor strands. I've wanted to go back to my natural tint for a long time, to facilitate hair growth, but I was afraid of using bleach for obvious reasons.

I was initially skeptical when I picked it up. I mean, how is 20 minutes and a fifteen minute rinse going to even approach undoing years and years of red dye? I didn't expect it to lift much, but it was worth a try, and a sight better than using bleach on my already damaged hair.

The packaging is pretty terrible, but I'm not looking for anything artsy and cutesy. I'm looking for something that works, and I'm not going to realistically spend time staring at it before actually putting the product on my head. The instructions, cap, and gloves are neatly folded into a plastic bag that was semi-hard to pry open, but you've got to give them points for neatness, at least.

I'm going to be honest: the product itself smells like burnt hair and rotting eggs. It's the sulphur. It's not a pleasant application experience, by far. The only good thing about the application is that I found it much easier to evenly distribute the product with my gloved fingers. It's a lot thinner than hair dye, so my application time was cut in half.

The most rigorous and tiring part of the whole process is the rinsing stage. You have to spend a minimum of 15 minutes in the shower, but I wanted to see the MAXIMUM potential of this product, so I stuck it out in the shower for at least thirty minutes. I had a lot of shedding, which is to be expected after you chemically treat your hair to strip the dye out of it. Sure, thirty minutes later my neck was hurting and my hair was massively tangled, but it was pretty amazing to see pinkish water running into the drain every time I squeezed. I used Mane n' Tail conditioner after I rinsed and it seemed to bring my moisture back, like, threefold.

After blow-drying, I was totally amazed: my hair was lifted around five shades from the dark, dark auburn it was before. Now, it was more of a reddish/pumpkin blond. In addition to that, there was minimal damage, and my hair felt only slightly dry. To me, the end result was even better than your standard nourishing dye application. My hair is rarely shiny after a box dye job, but this stuff made it super soft and shiny. Not to mention: A WHOLE FIVE SHADES LIGHTER.

I haven't yet achieved my original shade, but it'll only take one more application of Oops to get it back to where it is, and maybe a toning shampoo to stamp out some of the inevitable brassiness. Overall, Color Oops exceeded my expectations. Over ten years of dye-jobs, and my hair is only one treatment away from where it used to be. Unbelievable.

on 7/20/2013 9:48:00 PM

This product works way better than bleach when hair colour goes too dark, and I'm so happy this is now in Canada. I used the extra strength because it was the only one available. I tried to dye my hair a medium auburn that went way too dark. The formula is thin enough to comb through hair to ensure all of the hair is covered. There was just enough formula to cover my medium/long thin hair, so anyone with more hair than me should consider buying a second box (that's where they get you). The product has a sulfur like smell but it was more bearable than expected after reading other reviews. After several minutes of shampooing and rinsing later, my hair was a medium/dark coppery colour (hydrogen peroxide in hair colour lightens the hair before delivering pigment, so that's what it looks like under all that colour). They really delivered on the promise of very little damage, my hair felt almost the same as before.

Now trying to get back to a more natural shade (light ash brown for me): It's important to buy a dye that is one or shades lighter than your desired colour because the hair is very porous after chemical treatments and losing its pigment (same goes if you bleach) and will pick up too much pigment leading to a very dark colour. I purchased Garnier Belle Color in Dark Ash Blonde. The new dye should only be left on hair for about 5 minutes or so because porous hair grabs dye fast. I was very pleased with the results and is the best way to correct colour without a professional.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This worked for me just the way I'd hoped it would. I used Color Oops around 24 hours (maybe less) after my bad dye job. My CVS only had the Extra Strength version - Cost Fourteen Ninety-Nine.

I had impulsively dyed my medium brown hair with L'Oreal Excellence Natural Black box dye that I had lying around and the results were just too, too dark, and completely UN-natural for my complexion. Also had a green tinge, ugh.

I was very mad at myself because I had only recently grown my hair out to my shoulders after having dyed it black for years... this last year was the first time in many that I had actually seen my natural color!

Next day, I went online to find ways to at least lighten it up a bit and found Color Oops reccommendations... I was worried it could damage my hair, but I figured I have a gift certificate to Aveda Salon, so if I mess it up, I could always get it professionally fixed (that was actually my first plan, but they couldn't fit me in for 4 days and I read the first 48 hours after dyeing is your best chance for fixing it). So...

I followed the directions to a "T", leaving the solution in my hair for 20 minutes after I'd completed application. The smell was not that bad to me, but all noses are different. I did detect the sulfur smell, it just didn't bug me.

Based on another reviewer's notes, I took extra care to detangle with a wide tooth "shower comb", both after applying the Oops to my hair and then while rinsing, rinsing, rinsing. I rinsed for probably 25 minutes (definitely the most thorough rinse of my life!), shampooing once in the beginning, conditioning halfway through, because all my hair became a huge knot after rinsing upside down, then shampooed again, rinsed and conditioned with Joico K-pak Reconstruct Conditioner (not deep treatment) and put a shower cap on to let the condish do it's work.

After 15 minutes, I rinsed the Conditioner out and went out for the night, hair still damp (but detangled). My fingers were in my hair all night; it was so silky soft! Don't know where the credit lies there (guessing the conditioner) but the point is - zero damage... no straw hair, no excessive fall out, no lingering sulfur smell, no problems at all.

When I looked at my dry hair it was back to almost the color it was before the black, possibly a bit lighter or maybe redder, which the FAQ on Color Oops site said may happen because of the peroxide in permamnent haircolor (which lifts your hair color before depositing the dye, even black dye). I was happy with it and did not redye.

Now a week later, I'd say it has perhaps darkened just a shade since then, but in no way has it gone anywhere near back to black.

I hope not to have to use this again, but would not hesitate to grab up some Color Oops if I ever make a bad hair Dye decision again!

Popular Hair Color Products