The Body Shop Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
The Body Shop Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser

2.9

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Pentylene Glycol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Butylene Glycol, Cyclomethicone, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sorbitol, Glyceryl Stearate, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Oil, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Phosphate.

on 10/27/2016 5:01:00 PM

I have used this product to calm my face after another product dehydrated the heck out of my face last winter. Plus, living in a dry climate didn't help as my skin is prone to a more dehydrated state and anything can trigger redness and tightness. I came across this product by fluke and decided to give it a go. I am rating it the highest 5 lippies because it actually saved my skin. I have no make up to take off so I didn't need it as a makeup remover just as a dirt and oil remover so I don't need anything too too strong. I smear this around my face and either take it off with a shiseido cotton pad so I can actually see the dirt coming off my face of just splash it off my face with some distilled water. Yes, I use distilled water. I have been using the stuff for years. This product is a god send if you are trying to use a gentle product for just a gentle cleanse. It smells like plastic but apparently that is what aloe smells like so if you can tolerate the scent it works wonders to calm and cleanse the skin.

**Update: Just recently purchased a new bottle and the ingredients list has changed, they added a few more.

After cleansing with the new bottle I noticed this isn't as hydrating and most importantly not as calming as I remember. Who knows, my skin could have changed but I believe this isn't agreeing with my skin like it used to. I took out the bottles to compare and first noticed the shelf life has doubled. I will retry again later but in the meantime I will be looking for something else.

Old formula: Aqua/water/eau, Pentylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol,Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Propanediol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dimethicone, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter/Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Caprylyl Glycol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Phosphate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid.
6 month expiry.

New formula: Aqua/Water/Eau, Pentylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Propanediol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dimethicone, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter/, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Capryylyl Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Disodium Phosphate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Citric Acid, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Sodium Hydroxide, Trideceth-6. 12 month expiry.

With the addition of the Trideceth-6 and PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate which are surfactants and emulsifiers (PEGs are not considered to be irritants or sensitizers on healthy skin) but they should not be used on irritated skin, I am now leary of this product. :( I am very annoyed that company's change products ingredient's list when the product was awesome before the addition of new ingredients.Also, looking back on the ingredients further from what makeup alley ingredients list indicates apparently the body shop went from using aloe gel and having it one of first ingredients listed to now using an aloe powder and having it be one of that last ingredients. :(

Leaves my skin feeling clean whilst keeping it moisturised; found this really helps with my rosacea.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

This is such a good and basic cleanser! It's especially good if you struggle with sensitve or/and dry skin.

Since I have really sensitive skin, I'm always afraid of new products breaking me out, and unfortunately they do most of the time. However with this one; no reaction at all!
I have been using this cleanser, alternating it with my REN clearcalm cleanser (for blemish-prone skin), and I find that to be a good mix, since this cleanser doesn't do much for treating acne. It does cleanses your skin, but without that horrible dry feeling afterwards. For me that's a huge plus.

Overall a great cleanser if you want something gentle, but if you suffer from acne I recommend you to alternate it with an acne-treating cleanser, or some sort of treatment afterwards. The reason why I can't give it 5/5, is because it claims to remove make-up and it curtainly does not do that! I always remove my makeup with Bioderma, before I cleanse my skin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Not great at removing longwear makeup on its own tbh, but if you just use regular makeup it probably will be ok

This is a pretty bad cleanser. It did basically nothing for my skin, you might as well be cleansing your skin with water. It doesn't cleanse at all. It is also not cheap! Don't waste your money

on 1/10/2014 2:53:00 PM

I found it really hard to get a good cleaning from this face wash, I had to use a lot of product and thats coming from someone with dry skin! Mind you it didn't dry me out which was a plus although it may have broken me out.
I did find it worked a lot better with a washcloth so I will finish it but definitely will not repurchase

on 7/26/2012 2:24:00 PM

There are a lot of poor reviews for this product based on its failure to remove makeup. I personally haven't found a regular cream cleanser that works for that on its own, especially not a gentle one. I use a separate product for makeup removal and then cleanse afterwards.
I love using creamy cleansers in the morning, and this is nice for that. It doesn't leave my skin greasy and isn't drying or irritating. It doesn't really moisturize but just makes it feel nice and clean, which is all I really want it to do. It doesn't soften like my Dr. Hauschka Cleansing milk does, but at a small fraction of the price, I'm ok with that. There's also no discernible fragrance, which I like. It gets 4 instead of 5 points because I don't see that it actually calms redness as the name implies. (but non-irritating and no breakouts is good enough for me. :) ) Also the squeeze bottle requires a lot of pressure to dispense the product.
I just bought and started using this recently. I'll update if I notice anything different later.

I've been using this for some weeks now, and now I'm giving up. At first I tried using this with water, it didn't take any make up off. Then I tried using cottonpads, it worked pretty well.. but I had to use a lot of product to get it all off. Another thing that I don't like with this is that it does not make me feel clean at all, the cleanser leaves a film on my face that I can only get rid of by using a toner afterwards! I'm not sure but I also think that this is making me brake out, it can be the moisturiser I'm using (The body shop aloe day and night cream) but I think it's the combination of it. So, I can't really recommend anyone to try this.. it's a waste of money! Thank god I only bought the sample. If your looking for a cleanser that takes all your make up off then you should try the foam wash from the same range instead, it's amazing!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I used this for about 1.5 months before giving up. I have sensitive skin that is slightly dry in the winter, so I decided to try a cream cleanser. This was great in that it didn't sting or irritate my face; it didn't even itch (a miracle)! I thought simple was the way to go to lessen the chance of a breakout.

After about a week this really started to clog my pores. To try and remedy this I made sure to remove it with a hot wet washcloth and follow up with a toner. Unfortunately that didn't work, and the clogs got worse. It also started giving me several whiteheads. I am thinking it may have been the palm oil, as I have found I'm sensitive to many other oils. Also, the flip cap is really flimsy and cheap.

I managed to get this on sale for under $9 with free shipping (original price is $14). For this price it was worth a shot, but I would be very disappointed if I had paid full price. I gave it 1 lippie for being so gentle, and another for how soft it left my face.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I have very sensitive skin. I probably have tried over 100 different products and all of them either made my skin blotchy or just break out. Then someone recommended I go to the body shop and pick this up. I used it and my skin has never been better! I also love the lotion like texture of the cleanser it's very soothing. I use this every morning and night. Hands down this is the best cleanser I have ever used for my skin. I plan on using this for as long as they make it! The cleanser, toner, and lotion can get a little pricey but it really is worth it especially if you have really sensitive skin. I have not used the other one that is like it that is foamy but I would imagine that one is just as good if you do not like the lotion like texture of this cleanser but I really love it.