The Body Shop Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
The Body Shop Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser

3.2

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Pentylene Glycol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Butylene Glycol, Cyclomethicone, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sorbitol, Glyceryl Stearate, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Oil, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Phosphate.

on 10/27/2016 5:01:00 PM

I have used this product to calm my face after another product dehydrated the heck out of my face last winter. Plus, living in a dry climate didn't help as my skin is prone to a more dehydrated state and anything can trigger redness and tightness. I came across this product by fluke and decided to give it a go. I am rating it the highest 5 lippies because it actually saved my skin. I have no make up to take off so I didn't need it as a makeup remover just as a dirt and oil remover so I don't need anything too too strong. I smear this around my face and either take it off with a shiseido cotton pad so I can actually see the dirt coming off my face of just splash it off my face with some distilled water. Yes, I use distilled water. I have been using the stuff for years. This product is a god send if you are trying to use a gentle product for just a gentle cleanse. It smells like plastic but apparently that is what aloe smells like so if you can tolerate the scent it works wonders to calm and cleanse the skin.

**Update: Just recently purchased a new bottle and the ingredients list has changed, they added a few more.

After cleansing with the new bottle I noticed this isn't as hydrating and most importantly not as calming as I remember. Who knows, my skin could have changed but I believe this isn't agreeing with my skin like it used to. I took out the bottles to compare and first noticed the shelf life has doubled. I will retry again later but in the meantime I will be looking for something else.

Old formula: Aqua/water/eau, Pentylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol,Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Propanediol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dimethicone, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter/Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Caprylyl Glycol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Phosphate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid.
6 month expiry.

New formula: Aqua/Water/Eau, Pentylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Propanediol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dimethicone, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter/, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Capryylyl Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Disodium Phosphate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Citric Acid, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Sodium Hydroxide, Trideceth-6. 12 month expiry.

With the addition of the Trideceth-6 and PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate which are surfactants and emulsifiers (PEGs are not considered to be irritants or sensitizers on healthy skin) but they should not be used on irritated skin, I am now leary of this product. :( I am very annoyed that company's change products ingredient's list when the product was awesome before the addition of new ingredients.Also, looking back on the ingredients further from what makeup alley ingredients list indicates apparently the body shop went from using aloe gel and having it one of first ingredients listed to now using an aloe powder and having it be one of that last ingredients. :(

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

This is such a good and basic cleanser! It's especially good if you struggle with sensitve or/and dry skin.

Since I have really sensitive skin, I'm always afraid of new products breaking me out, and unfortunately they do most of the time. However with this one; no reaction at all!
I have been using this cleanser, alternating it with my REN clearcalm cleanser (for blemish-prone skin), and I find that to be a good mix, since this cleanser doesn't do much for treating acne. It does cleanses your skin, but without that horrible dry feeling afterwards. For me that's a huge plus.

Overall a great cleanser if you want something gentle, but if you suffer from acne I recommend you to alternate it with an acne-treating cleanser, or some sort of treatment afterwards. The reason why I can't give it 5/5, is because it claims to remove make-up and it curtainly does not do that! I always remove my makeup with Bioderma, before I cleanse my skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't understand the negative comments about this product, it has totally changed my skin! After discovering my skin is acne prone and sensitive (mostly sensitive but I am prone to acne around my jaw line) I decided to try this as it has aloe vera. Would never turn back, I use this with my clarisonic so it is maybe the way I am using it. I have been combining it with the toner and moisturiser from the same set and using tea tree for my spots - I am not over exaggerating when I say I feel comfortable now leaving the house with minimum make up when before I wanted to hide my skin, and I know it is the combination of these products. Absolute bargain and life saver!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I bought this based on the reviews on The Body Shop's website. Almost all of them were glowing, with users saying it cleared up their acne and completely changed their skin. I was very hopeful, especially since the cleanser I was using was drying me out. Initially this did nothing for me. It didn't get my skin clean enough, and left a film on my face. I woke up with little whiteheads after using it at night. I stopped using it for awhile.

I started to use it again recently (against my better judgment) and I think it is clogging my pores. It could be my moisturizer's fault as well (or a combination of the two) but I wasn't clogging until I started washing my face at night with this cleanser. I think it's too thick and creamy for my acne-prone, combination skin.

on 6/7/2012 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The cleanser is gentle and fragrance free but I find it does a poor job of cleansing my skin. To remove foundation, I have to use a large amount, tissue off, and then follow with a toner. Quite disappointing! Won't purchase again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have had pretty bad experiences with other facial cleanses, for example the Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash was probably the worst. But I've been using this product on and off for a while now for about a year and a half. When I do start to use it again, it cleansed my skin pretty well but after using for a few days I would notice a few new breakouts. Then I would continue to use it for another few days and I would notice that my skin did have less breakouts. I'm guessing that for me, my acne usually gets worse before it gets better when using this product.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I used this for about 1.5 months before giving up. I have sensitive skin that is slightly dry in the winter, so I decided to try a cream cleanser. This was great in that it didn't sting or irritate my face; it didn't even itch (a miracle)! I thought simple was the way to go to lessen the chance of a breakout.

After about a week this really started to clog my pores. To try and remedy this I made sure to remove it with a hot wet washcloth and follow up with a toner. Unfortunately that didn't work, and the clogs got worse. It also started giving me several whiteheads. I am thinking it may have been the palm oil, as I have found I'm sensitive to many other oils. Also, the flip cap is really flimsy and cheap.

I managed to get this on sale for under $9 with free shipping (original price is $14). For this price it was worth a shot, but I would be very disappointed if I had paid full price. I gave it 1 lippie for being so gentle, and another for how soft it left my face.

on 1/12/2012 6:58:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

My mom bought this product for herself, and while traveling it's all we had to use. My mom has rosacea so her skin is super sensitive to cleansers and lotions, my skin is also super sensitive and breaks out in hive's a lot. This was great in the sense that it doesn't make you break out, nor does it burn or clog the pores. BUT the bottle says it washes away eye makeup and makeup in general, and let me say it takes a lot of will-power to get makeup off. Just a so-so product, wouldn't waste the money because I think just straight water would do the same thing

on 7/6/2011 3:45:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Original review 2009: This is the best and mildest cleanser I have found till now.
Every town in Holland has a Body Shop, so the products are easy to purchase and they are not very expensive.
I love that the Body Shop has made a sensitive free of parfume line (the Aloe Vera line) and this cleanser is the best.

The only con is that it doesn't clean away mineral sunscreen, but when you clean twice, than it is good enough.

Store the bottle upside down, than the product comes out easily.

Edit 5-2011: I still love this cleanser and haven't found anything better.
Nowadays I use this with the Muslin Cloths from The Body Shop and it works like a charm. My skin is much smoother now I clean this way.
After trying a lot of cleansers I discovered that non-foaming cleansers work the best for my skin type (sensitive, oily, acne prone). Foaming cleansers irritate my skin which causes cystic acne.
I more and more discover that my type of acne is caused by sensitivity, irritation and bad ingredients.

on 11/29/2010 1:46:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a thick non-foaming cream that rinses clean easily. It does have a strange rancid smell though. This is a great cleanser for sensitive skin. It is cheap and cleanses well. I will definitely use this again.

This is what The Body Shop says: "If everyday cleansers leave your skin feeling tight and dry, this is the product you've been waiting for. It dissolves impurities while soothing and refreshing skin."

Price: 6.50 for a 200 ml hard plastic flip-top bottle that is hard to squeeze so I leave it upside-down.

Ingredients: water (solvent/diluent), Aloe barbadensis gel (skin soothing agent), pentylene glycol (solvent), caprylic/capric triglyceride (emollient), Elaeis guineensis (skin-conditioning agent), butylene glycol (humectant), cyclomethicone (emollient), glycerin (humectant), glyceryl stearate citrate (skin-conditioning agent), cetearyl alcohol (emulsifier), sorbitol (humectant), glyceryl stearate (emulsifier), Orbignya oleifera oil (emollient), acrylates/C10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer (stabiliser/viscosity modifier), xanthan gum (viscosity modifier), disodium phosphate (pH buffer).