The Body Shop Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
The Body Shop Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser

3.1

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Pentylene Glycol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Butylene Glycol, Cyclomethicone, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sorbitol, Glyceryl Stearate, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Oil, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Phosphate.

on 10/27/2016 5:01:00 PM

I have used this product to calm my face after another product dehydrated the heck out of my face last winter. Plus, living in a dry climate didn't help as my skin is prone to a more dehydrated state and anything can trigger redness and tightness. I came across this product by fluke and decided to give it a go. I am rating it the highest 5 lippies because it actually saved my skin. I have no make up to take off so I didn't need it as a makeup remover just as a dirt and oil remover so I don't need anything too too strong. I smear this around my face and either take it off with a shiseido cotton pad so I can actually see the dirt coming off my face of just splash it off my face with some distilled water. Yes, I use distilled water. I have been using the stuff for years. This product is a god send if you are trying to use a gentle product for just a gentle cleanse. It smells like plastic but apparently that is what aloe smells like so if you can tolerate the scent it works wonders to calm and cleanse the skin.

**Update: Just recently purchased a new bottle and the ingredients list has changed, they added a few more.

After cleansing with the new bottle I noticed this isn't as hydrating and most importantly not as calming as I remember. Who knows, my skin could have changed but I believe this isn't agreeing with my skin like it used to. I took out the bottles to compare and first noticed the shelf life has doubled. I will retry again later but in the meantime I will be looking for something else.

Old formula: Aqua/water/eau, Pentylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol,Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Propanediol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dimethicone, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter/Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Caprylyl Glycol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Phosphate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid.
6 month expiry.

New formula: Aqua/Water/Eau, Pentylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Propanediol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dimethicone, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter/, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Capryylyl Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Disodium Phosphate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Citric Acid, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Sodium Hydroxide, Trideceth-6. 12 month expiry.

With the addition of the Trideceth-6 and PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate which are surfactants and emulsifiers (PEGs are not considered to be irritants or sensitizers on healthy skin) but they should not be used on irritated skin, I am now leary of this product. :( I am very annoyed that company's change products ingredient's list when the product was awesome before the addition of new ingredients.Also, looking back on the ingredients further from what makeup alley ingredients list indicates apparently the body shop went from using aloe gel and having it one of first ingredients listed to now using an aloe powder and having it be one of that last ingredients. :(

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is my favourite cleanser. I have dry, sensitive skin with a touch of rosacea and not many cleansers suit me. The foaming ones leave my skin tight and dehydrated and many of the cream ones are greasy. I have found three that I like - the Nivea gentle cream cleanser, the Sukin cream cleanser and this one. For me, this aloe vera cleanser is perfect. The other two leave a slight slick but I haven't found that with this one. I would buy it every time except that it is more pricey. I massage a generous amount on my damp face for a minute or two (not dripping wet, it just dissolves) and rinse well. My skin loves it and literally glows afterwards! I would give it 5 stars except for two things. As I mentioned, it is a little expensive, considering that you do need a goodly amount to cleanse thoroughly. And the annoying bottle that you need to squeeze so hard, especially when it's getting low.

Leaves my skin feeling clean whilst keeping it moisturised; found this really helps with my rosacea.

on 5/4/2014 6:48:00 AM

This product has been really good as a basic cleanser, I have pretty sensitive skin so this is really hydrating and gentle on my skin. I've been using this a few times once in the day and night. It's been really good so far and I highly recommend it, it's not too badly priced. I like to use it with their facial brush.
Check out my other reviews on my blog =]
heelssss.blogspot.com

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I bought this based on the reviews on The Body Shop's website. Almost all of them were glowing, with users saying it cleared up their acne and completely changed their skin. I was very hopeful, especially since the cleanser I was using was drying me out. Initially this did nothing for me. It didn't get my skin clean enough, and left a film on my face. I woke up with little whiteheads after using it at night. I stopped using it for awhile.

I started to use it again recently (against my better judgment) and I think it is clogging my pores. It could be my moisturizer's fault as well (or a combination of the two) but I wasn't clogging until I started washing my face at night with this cleanser. I think it's too thick and creamy for my acne-prone, combination skin.

This is a pretty bad cleanser. It did basically nothing for my skin, you might as well be cleansing your skin with water. It doesn't cleanse at all. It is also not cheap! Don't waste your money

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I love this cleanser it is gentle and doesn't dry out my skin unlike some other cleansers. The only makeup i wear is a BB cream or a TM and a little blush and a tinted lip balm and i think it gets it off a little bit but i don't expect a cleanser to remove makeup that's what my makeup remover wipes are for :)

on 7/26/2012 2:24:00 PM

There are a lot of poor reviews for this product based on its failure to remove makeup. I personally haven't found a regular cream cleanser that works for that on its own, especially not a gentle one. I use a separate product for makeup removal and then cleanse afterwards.
I love using creamy cleansers in the morning, and this is nice for that. It doesn't leave my skin greasy and isn't drying or irritating. It doesn't really moisturize but just makes it feel nice and clean, which is all I really want it to do. It doesn't soften like my Dr. Hauschka Cleansing milk does, but at a small fraction of the price, I'm ok with that. There's also no discernible fragrance, which I like. It gets 4 instead of 5 points because I don't see that it actually calms redness as the name implies. (but non-irritating and no breakouts is good enough for me. :) ) Also the squeeze bottle requires a lot of pressure to dispense the product.
I just bought and started using this recently. I'll update if I notice anything different later.

I've been using this for some weeks now, and now I'm giving up. At first I tried using this with water, it didn't take any make up off. Then I tried using cottonpads, it worked pretty well.. but I had to use a lot of product to get it all off. Another thing that I don't like with this is that it does not make me feel clean at all, the cleanser leaves a film on my face that I can only get rid of by using a toner afterwards! I'm not sure but I also think that this is making me brake out, it can be the moisturiser I'm using (The body shop aloe day and night cream) but I think it's the combination of it. So, I can't really recommend anyone to try this.. it's a waste of money! Thank god I only bought the sample. If your looking for a cleanser that takes all your make up off then you should try the foam wash from the same range instead, it's amazing!!

on 5/25/2012 10:52:00 PM

This cleanser is able to get most of my makeup off without stripping my skin of all its oils. I still follow up with another cleanser afterwards (ELDW, what do you expect?) but I find that if I'm going to double cleanse, I'd much rather the first cleanser be something gentle and in this case, oil based, rather than foaming and drying like my second one. My skin feels a lot less dry on my cheeks since starting to use this and it hasn't managed to do anything bad to my oily T-zone either. It's also good for use in the morning when I wake up since it's go gentle.
The biggest appeal for me is definitely the ingredients in this. It is sold as preservative, alcohol, fragrance and colour free, so my sensitive skin has been loving it.
The only con would be that if you don't wash this off properly, your skin might feel a bit slick and slimy. If that happens then you MAY find your skin becomes slightly irritated afterwards.