The Body Shop Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser

The Body Shop Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser

3.5

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Pentylene Glycol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Butylene Glycol, Cyclomethicone, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sorbitol, Glyceryl Stearate, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Oil, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Phosphate.

on 10/27/2016 5:01:00 PM

I have used this product to calm my face after another product dehydrated the heck out of my face last winter. Plus, living in a dry climate didn't help as my skin is prone to a more dehydrated state and anything can trigger redness and tightness. I came across this product by fluke and decided to give it a go. I am rating it the highest 5 lippies because it actually saved my skin. I have no make up to take off so I didn't need it as a makeup remover just as a dirt and oil remover so I don't need anything too too strong. I smear this around my face and either take it off with a shiseido cotton pad so I can actually see the dirt coming off my face of just splash it off my face with some distilled water. Yes, I use distilled water. I have been using the stuff for years. This product is a god send if you are trying to use a gentle product for just a gentle cleanse. It smells like plastic but apparently that is what aloe smells like so if you can tolerate the scent it works wonders to calm and cleanse the skin.

**Update: Just recently purchased a new bottle and the ingredients list has changed, they added a few more.

After cleansing with the new bottle I noticed this isn't as hydrating and most importantly not as calming as I remember. Who knows, my skin could have changed but I believe this isn't agreeing with my skin like it used to. I took out the bottles to compare and first noticed the shelf life has doubled. I will retry again later but in the meantime I will be looking for something else.

Old formula: Aqua/water/eau, Pentylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol,Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Propanediol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dimethicone, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter/Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Caprylyl Glycol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Phosphate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid.
6 month expiry.

New formula: Aqua/Water/Eau, Pentylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Propanediol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dimethicone, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter/, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Capryylyl Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Disodium Phosphate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Citric Acid, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Sodium Hydroxide, Trideceth-6. 12 month expiry.

With the addition of the Trideceth-6 and PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate which are surfactants and emulsifiers (PEGs are not considered to be irritants or sensitizers on healthy skin) but they should not be used on irritated skin, I am now leary of this product. :( I am very annoyed that company's change products ingredient's list when the product was awesome before the addition of new ingredients.Also, looking back on the ingredients further from what makeup alley ingredients list indicates apparently the body shop went from using aloe gel and having it one of first ingredients listed to now using an aloe powder and having it be one of that last ingredients. :(

on 6/24/2016 8:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

For a cleanser that is supposed to be calming and geared toward sensitive skin this made me break out terribly. When i try something new it's a given I'll get 1-2 small pimples but they usually go away within a day or so and are never big or sore or will leave a mark. This cleanser gave me one small pimple on my chin the next day after first use and i figured no big deal so i continued but by the third day i decided i was returning it to get my money back. I now have about 6 pimples on my face and two of them are red and sore and will probably leave a mark. Never again. I can also see why ppl complain about the packaging. Its a really awkwardly hard plastic that would give you issues getting out the product once you get to the bottom. Thankfully i won't ever have to deal with that because it's since been returned. For the amount you get for the price and the trouble this has caused my skin i would never recommend it to anyone.

on 9/12/2014 10:11:00 PM

This is a pretty expensive "cleanser" that basically does nothing for me except cause acne. I have pretty sensitive dry, but acne-prone skin and it broke me out. Not only that, but it doesn't really remove any makeup. It didn't bother my eye area, which is nice, but it defeats the purpose if it's not going to remove any makeup or actually clean my skin. Regardless of how I applied it (with a dry face or a wet face), the acne still came the next day. I think the fact that it doesn't seem to cleanse my face contributed to the breaking out. It's pretty much just an overpriced lotion.

This is a pretty bad cleanser. It did basically nothing for my skin, you might as well be cleansing your skin with water. It doesn't cleanse at all. It is also not cheap! Don't waste your money

This is probably the least effective cleanser I have ever used. I tried it twice, once with cotton wool then with a hot cloth. I always do a double cleanse on a night followed by a toner, so I know not to rely on just one cleanser for make-up removal. This didn't seem to lift much dirt off my skin at all. Rubbish.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Not great at removing longwear makeup on its own tbh, but if you just use regular makeup it probably will be ok

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I bought this based on the reviews on The Body Shop's website. Almost all of them were glowing, with users saying it cleared up their acne and completely changed their skin. I was very hopeful, especially since the cleanser I was using was drying me out. Initially this did nothing for me. It didn't get my skin clean enough, and left a film on my face. I woke up with little whiteheads after using it at night. I stopped using it for awhile.

I started to use it again recently (against my better judgment) and I think it is clogging my pores. It could be my moisturizer's fault as well (or a combination of the two) but I wasn't clogging until I started washing my face at night with this cleanser. I think it's too thick and creamy for my acne-prone, combination skin.

I've been using this for some weeks now, and now I'm giving up. At first I tried using this with water, it didn't take any make up off. Then I tried using cottonpads, it worked pretty well.. but I had to use a lot of product to get it all off. Another thing that I don't like with this is that it does not make me feel clean at all, the cleanser leaves a film on my face that I can only get rid of by using a toner afterwards! I'm not sure but I also think that this is making me brake out, it can be the moisturiser I'm using (The body shop aloe day and night cream) but I think it's the combination of it. So, I can't really recommend anyone to try this.. it's a waste of money! Thank god I only bought the sample. If your looking for a cleanser that takes all your make up off then you should try the foam wash from the same range instead, it's amazing!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I used this for about 1.5 months before giving up. I have sensitive skin that is slightly dry in the winter, so I decided to try a cream cleanser. This was great in that it didn't sting or irritate my face; it didn't even itch (a miracle)! I thought simple was the way to go to lessen the chance of a breakout.

After about a week this really started to clog my pores. To try and remedy this I made sure to remove it with a hot wet washcloth and follow up with a toner. Unfortunately that didn't work, and the clogs got worse. It also started giving me several whiteheads. I am thinking it may have been the palm oil, as I have found I'm sensitive to many other oils. Also, the flip cap is really flimsy and cheap.

I managed to get this on sale for under $9 with free shipping (original price is $14). For this price it was worth a shot, but I would be very disappointed if I had paid full price. I gave it 1 lippie for being so gentle, and another for how soft it left my face.

on 5/30/2010 3:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I tried this as I wanted a cleanser for the evening (rather than a face wash) and this had good reviews on MUA and in Paula's book. This felt lovely on my skin, didn't dry it and actually removed my foundation pretty well (although I did use an eye make up remover too).

However, the very next morning I had couple of small white heads on my nose and one on my jaw! It's rare that I get acne so I assumed it was down to the cleanser. To be sure I waited till my skin was clear again, reverting back to my normal cleanser and then tried again - same thing happend 3 times; from total clear skin to 3 white heads in 1 night! I wont be buying this again. In fact, I think I'll try my luck at taking it back to the shop as there is no way I can even try this again as a one-off between my normal cleanser.

If you never get spots and have dry skin this might work for you as my skin definately felt soft. However, if your skin ever breaks out from the wrong prodcut - avoid this.

UPDATE: I took this back to the shop and they were kind enough to swap it for me (they did offfer a refund too), so I am now trialing their Vitamin E cream cleanser.