The Body Shop Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser

The Body Shop Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser

3.5

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Pentylene Glycol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Butylene Glycol, Cyclomethicone, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sorbitol, Glyceryl Stearate, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Oil, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Phosphate.

on 10/27/2016 5:01:00 PM

I have used this product to calm my face after another product dehydrated the heck out of my face last winter. Plus, living in a dry climate didn't help as my skin is prone to a more dehydrated state and anything can trigger redness and tightness. I came across this product by fluke and decided to give it a go. I am rating it the highest 5 lippies because it actually saved my skin. I have no make up to take off so I didn't need it as a makeup remover just as a dirt and oil remover so I don't need anything too too strong. I smear this around my face and either take it off with a shiseido cotton pad so I can actually see the dirt coming off my face of just splash it off my face with some distilled water. Yes, I use distilled water. I have been using the stuff for years. This product is a god send if you are trying to use a gentle product for just a gentle cleanse. It smells like plastic but apparently that is what aloe smells like so if you can tolerate the scent it works wonders to calm and cleanse the skin.

**Update: Just recently purchased a new bottle and the ingredients list has changed, they added a few more.

After cleansing with the new bottle I noticed this isn't as hydrating and most importantly not as calming as I remember. Who knows, my skin could have changed but I believe this isn't agreeing with my skin like it used to. I took out the bottles to compare and first noticed the shelf life has doubled. I will retry again later but in the meantime I will be looking for something else.

Old formula: Aqua/water/eau, Pentylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol,Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Propanediol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dimethicone, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter/Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Caprylyl Glycol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Phosphate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid.
6 month expiry.

New formula: Aqua/Water/Eau, Pentylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Propanediol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dimethicone, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter/, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Capryylyl Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Disodium Phosphate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Citric Acid, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Sodium Hydroxide, Trideceth-6. 12 month expiry.

With the addition of the Trideceth-6 and PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate which are surfactants and emulsifiers (PEGs are not considered to be irritants or sensitizers on healthy skin) but they should not be used on irritated skin, I am now leary of this product. :( I am very annoyed that company's change products ingredient's list when the product was awesome before the addition of new ingredients.Also, looking back on the ingredients further from what makeup alley ingredients list indicates apparently the body shop went from using aloe gel and having it one of first ingredients listed to now using an aloe powder and having it be one of that last ingredients. :(

on 9/10/2016 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT IT!

I used to used foaming cleansers that would dry out my skin! This was when I had terrible acne on my cheeks - they were deep and painful. Fed up and desparate, that I turned to this. Wish I had started this sooner! My skin calmed down after the first week, and by around the 6th week, no more acne! I know it's also because I've been using gentler products too - like oils to hydrate, and non-alcohol toners. It doesn't get rid of eye makeup - it's not supposed to!! That's why you use eye make up remover!! And you HAVE to use it with the face flannel/chamois from the Body Shop, and wipe off with really warm water. If you use it wrong, like using cotton pads and not washing it off, you'll clog your skin for sure! Been using this for 7 months, and won't turn back.

OMG I can't get enough of this cleanser! I absolutely love it!
A lot of cleansers tend to leave my face dry after using it which often results in me getting flakey irritated skin.
I've used Clinique and Kiehl's cleansers but I still felt really dry after.
I've also tried out cetaphil which is actually pretty good too! I just didn't notice a difference when using Cetaphil.
Since using the aloe calming facial cleanser my skin has never been better, and I REALLY MEAN IT! NEVER BETTER!
My skin is sooooo soft! Like a baby's bum! And I haven't had any irritations, dry spots or break outs!
The only down side is that it's hard to get the product out of the bottle...
But I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has sensitive combination/dry skin.

on 6/24/2016 8:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

For a cleanser that is supposed to be calming and geared toward sensitive skin this made me break out terribly. When i try something new it's a given I'll get 1-2 small pimples but they usually go away within a day or so and are never big or sore or will leave a mark. This cleanser gave me one small pimple on my chin the next day after first use and i figured no big deal so i continued but by the third day i decided i was returning it to get my money back. I now have about 6 pimples on my face and two of them are red and sore and will probably leave a mark. Never again. I can also see why ppl complain about the packaging. Its a really awkwardly hard plastic that would give you issues getting out the product once you get to the bottom. Thankfully i won't ever have to deal with that because it's since been returned. For the amount you get for the price and the trouble this has caused my skin i would never recommend it to anyone.

Leaves my skin feeling clean whilst keeping it moisturised; found this really helps with my rosacea.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is my favourite cleanser. I have dry, sensitive skin with a touch of rosacea and not many cleansers suit me. The foaming ones leave my skin tight and dehydrated and many of the cream ones are greasy. I have found three that I like - the Nivea gentle cream cleanser, the Sukin cream cleanser and this one. For me, this aloe vera cleanser is perfect. The other two leave a slight slick but I haven't found that with this one. I would buy it every time except that it is more pricey. I massage a generous amount on my damp face for a minute or two (not dripping wet, it just dissolves) and rinse well. My skin loves it and literally glows afterwards! I would give it 5 stars except for two things. As I mentioned, it is a little expensive, considering that you do need a goodly amount to cleanse thoroughly. And the annoying bottle that you need to squeeze so hard, especially when it's getting low.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

This is the mildest facial cleanser i have ever found so far , never cause me irritaion or breakouts whatsoever ,and even whenever i use only this cleanser before bed i wake up with a radiant skin as if i've used a rich moisturizer not just a facial cleanser !! ... fregrance free, preservatives free, whats not to love ?!

I do massage it onto my skin to dissolve makeup then I wipe it off with a damp muslin wash cloth it works best that way

on 5/26/2015 4:55:00 PM

I love this cleanser. I mainly use it in warmer months or when my skin feels irritated and I don't want to trouble it with something harsh or fragranced. It takes my makeup off very well, and it's mild and has no noticeable scent.

on 9/12/2014 10:11:00 PM

This is a pretty expensive "cleanser" that basically does nothing for me except cause acne. I have pretty sensitive dry, but acne-prone skin and it broke me out. Not only that, but it doesn't really remove any makeup. It didn't bother my eye area, which is nice, but it defeats the purpose if it's not going to remove any makeup or actually clean my skin. Regardless of how I applied it (with a dry face or a wet face), the acne still came the next day. I think the fact that it doesn't seem to cleanse my face contributed to the breaking out. It's pretty much just an overpriced lotion.

on 5/17/2015 1:20:00 AM

This is the only cleanser I use for my sensitive combination skin. I only gave it a four star rating and not five stars because its not that effective for removing long wearing eye makeup. It's the only cleanser I've used that does not irritate my skin but even with The Body Shop's regular promotions I find it a bit pricey.