The Body Shop Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser

Filtered by age: 30-35
The Body Shop Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser

3.1

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 10/27/2016 5:01:00 PM

I have used this product to calm my face after another product dehydrated the heck out of my face last winter. Plus, living in a dry climate didn't help as my skin is prone to a more dehydrated state and anything can trigger redness and tightness. I came across this product by fluke and decided to give it a go. I am rating it the highest 5 lippies because it actually saved my skin. I have no make up to take off so I didn't need it as a makeup remover just as a dirt and oil remover so I don't need anything too too strong. I smear this around my face and either take it off with a shiseido cotton pad so I can actually see the dirt coming off my face of just splash it off my face with some distilled water. Yes, I use distilled water. I have been using the stuff for years. This product is a god send if you are trying to use a gentle product for just a gentle cleanse. It smells like plastic but apparently that is what aloe smells like so if you can tolerate the scent it works wonders to calm and cleanse the skin.

**Update: Just recently purchased a new bottle and the ingredients list has changed, they added a few more.

After cleansing with the new bottle I noticed this isn't as hydrating and most importantly not as calming as I remember. Who knows, my skin could have changed but I believe this isn't agreeing with my skin like it used to. I took out the bottles to compare and first noticed the shelf life has doubled. I will retry again later but in the meantime I will be looking for something else.

Old formula: Aqua/water/eau, Pentylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol,Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Propanediol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dimethicone, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter/Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Caprylyl Glycol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Phosphate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid.
6 month expiry.

New formula: Aqua/Water/Eau, Pentylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Propanediol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dimethicone, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter/, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Capryylyl Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Disodium Phosphate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Citric Acid, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Sodium Hydroxide, Trideceth-6. 12 month expiry.

With the addition of the Trideceth-6 and PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate which are surfactants and emulsifiers (PEGs are not considered to be irritants or sensitizers on healthy skin) but they should not be used on irritated skin, I am now leary of this product. :( I am very annoyed that company's change products ingredient's list when the product was awesome before the addition of new ingredients.Also, looking back on the ingredients further from what makeup alley ingredients list indicates apparently the body shop went from using aloe gel and having it one of first ingredients listed to now using an aloe powder and having it be one of that last ingredients. :(

on 6/24/2016 8:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

For a cleanser that is supposed to be calming and geared toward sensitive skin this made me break out terribly. When i try something new it's a given I'll get 1-2 small pimples but they usually go away within a day or so and are never big or sore or will leave a mark. This cleanser gave me one small pimple on my chin the next day after first use and i figured no big deal so i continued but by the third day i decided i was returning it to get my money back. I now have about 6 pimples on my face and two of them are red and sore and will probably leave a mark. Never again. I can also see why ppl complain about the packaging. Its a really awkwardly hard plastic that would give you issues getting out the product once you get to the bottom. Thankfully i won't ever have to deal with that because it's since been returned. For the amount you get for the price and the trouble this has caused my skin i would never recommend it to anyone.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Not great at removing longwear makeup on its own tbh, but if you just use regular makeup it probably will be ok

on 5/18/2012 9:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have suffered from acne for what seems forever. While using the Arbonne cream cleanser my face cleared up a lot, however, the co. stopped making such cleanser...back to square one. Used Dermadoctor cleanser has salicyic acid but my face while clean didn't feel acne free, anyway I purchased this Aloe Cleanser hoping it would be as mild as the Arbonne was and cha-ching! it is!!!
It has a very mild smell, it is cool and calming, it removes foundation and even eye shadow (with a bit of rubbing you could take mascara off, but I wouldn't recommend all that tugging around the eye). My routine is use two pea size drops and rub on my face in an upward motion, use a big cotton ball to remove the foundation and finish by wiping remaining cleanser with a soft warm towel.
I've been doing this for over a month and even my sis who sees me often commented how great my skin looks (could be a combination of those green smoothies I've been drinking too) but seriously I finally got that just because I have oily acne prone skin doesn't mean I have to use soapy or salicyic/glycolic acid cleansers which strip my face off its moisture.
***update***
I continue to see great results,however,now I still use two pea size drops of the cleanser but I now use the Body Shop luxury flannel towel which is very smooth and between both products my skin is left free if makeup and clean. I follow with a vitamin e moist. On super lazy days I use the tea tree oil wipes from TBS as well.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

This is a nice cleanser that I enjoy using this winter. I rotate it with the tea tree foaming facial cleanser when my skin is oily I use the tea tree one, when it is dry, I use this one, which is very light, and cleanses my face well. It works well on sensitive skin also. If you have oily skin, I would pass on this product, which is best for dry/combination skin types.

on 12/26/2011 8:54:00 PM

I like it's all natural ingredient, especially without sodium lauryl sulfate which is always found in other face wash. However, I think it is too gentle and doesn't clean my face thoroughly. My T-zone still oily even I have put extra cleanser in this area. I have to use other cleanser on this area again, so double cleansing each time I'm using this product. The pro is it didn't cause any breakouts. I won't purchase this again, looking forward to use other facial wash.

on 11/22/2011 9:37:00 PM

WHAT IS IT? Creamy surfactant-free cleanser
INGREDIENTS: Water, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Pentylene Glycol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Butylene Glycol, Cyclomethicone, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sorbitol, Glyceryl Stearate, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Oil, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Phosphate.
HOW DOES IT PERFORM? This creamy, fragrance-free, surfactant-free cleanser is emulsifies makeup, sunscreen, and dirt and can be removed either with water and your hands or a washcloth. To ensure complete removal I would recommend pairing this with either a muslin or microfibre washcloth especially for those bothered by stearates or oils left on the skin. During drier times of the year, cleansing with this in the evening can serve as a substitute for moisturizing since I have relatively oily skin and do not require a separate moisturizer except in extremely dry climates (desert, arctic cold etc.)
WOULD YOU BUY AGAIN? Yes for times when I need a cleanser although I am looking for a fragrance-free alternative from a company not owned by L'Oreal.
PRICE: $16.99 CAD

on 11/29/2010 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a thick non-foaming cream that rinses clean easily. It does have a strange rancid smell though. This is a great cleanser for sensitive skin. It is cheap and cleanses well. I will definitely use this again.

This is what The Body Shop says: "If everyday cleansers leave your skin feeling tight and dry, this is the product you've been waiting for. It dissolves impurities while soothing and refreshing skin."

Price: 6.50 for a 200 ml hard plastic flip-top bottle that is hard to squeeze so I leave it upside-down.

Ingredients: water (solvent/diluent), Aloe barbadensis gel (skin soothing agent), pentylene glycol (solvent), caprylic/capric triglyceride (emollient), Elaeis guineensis (skin-conditioning agent), butylene glycol (humectant), cyclomethicone (emollient), glycerin (humectant), glyceryl stearate citrate (skin-conditioning agent), cetearyl alcohol (emulsifier), sorbitol (humectant), glyceryl stearate (emulsifier), Orbignya oleifera oil (emollient), acrylates/C10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer (stabiliser/viscosity modifier), xanthan gum (viscosity modifier), disodium phosphate (pH buffer).

on 5/30/2010 3:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I tried this as I wanted a cleanser for the evening (rather than a face wash) and this had good reviews on MUA and in Paula's book. This felt lovely on my skin, didn't dry it and actually removed my foundation pretty well (although I did use an eye make up remover too).

However, the very next morning I had couple of small white heads on my nose and one on my jaw! It's rare that I get acne so I assumed it was down to the cleanser. To be sure I waited till my skin was clear again, reverting back to my normal cleanser and then tried again - same thing happend 3 times; from total clear skin to 3 white heads in 1 night! I wont be buying this again. In fact, I think I'll try my luck at taking it back to the shop as there is no way I can even try this again as a one-off between my normal cleanser.

If you never get spots and have dry skin this might work for you as my skin definately felt soft. However, if your skin ever breaks out from the wrong prodcut - avoid this.

UPDATE: I took this back to the shop and they were kind enough to swap it for me (they did offfer a refund too), so I am now trialing their Vitamin E cream cleanser.

I am using this Cleansing Lotion as makeup remover. I love how it cleanse without residue. Much better than some high end makeup remover. It has little ingredients, it is safe for sensitive skin. IMO this feel very much like the discounted TBS Cucumber cleanser. I prefer this to VIt E cleansing cream. This has less frangrance, less ingredients. Another good point is I no need to use cotton wool to remove my makeup, just spread this lotion on face, massage lightly, splash with water, My face feels very clean after that. I do leave on, take my shower, let the shower steam open up my pores and rinse off with luke warm water. It is like light hydrating mask.

I don't like it when I first use. Now I am deeply in love with this wonderful cleansing lotion. I love TBS stuff:) :)

23-June-2010: I just get this free during TBS Buy 2-get-1 sales. I preferred this than the cucumber cleanser. My skin is very acne proned now, so this will be perfect with TTO foaming cleanser.