Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentrè (24-Hour Miracle Cream)

Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentrè (24-Hour Miracle Cream)
EmLait-Crème Concentrè (24-Hour Miracle Cream)

3.8

Aqua, Paraffinum Liquidum, Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, Triethanolamine, Cera Alba, Cetyl Palmitate, Butyrospermum Parkii, Steareth-10, Polyacrylamide C13-14 Isoparaffin, Laureth-7, Propylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Aloe Barbadensis, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Tropolone, Parfum.****************************WATER . PARAFFINUM LIQUIDUM . STEARIC ACID . PALMITIC ACID . GLYCERYL STEARATE SE . TRIETHANOLAMINE . BEESWAX . CETYL PALMITATE . SHEA BUTTER . 1,2-HEXANEDIOL . CAPRYLYL GLYCOL . STEARETH-10 . POLYACRYLAMIDE . C13-14 ISOPARAFFIN . FRAGRANCE . LAURETH-7 . PROPYLENE GLYCOL . TROPOLONE . HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN . ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF EXTRACT

on 3/15/2013 1:43:00 AM

This cream has received a lot of hype, but it is basically mineral oil with some emulsifiers to make it spread well in a lotion-like way.

It can only be successfully used by those with VERY DRY skin, due to the mineral oil ingredient. Mineral oil is occlusive (meaning it creates an impermeable barrier) and it will protect dry skin from trans-epidermal water loss, which is just a fancy way to say "water evaporation." Normally, oil, water, and sweat mix on our skin to create a protective barrier that protects skin from invaders and environmental harm, but people with dry skin don't have this natural protection. They can get it with this product.

For any other skin type, this moisturizer is either not appropriate or, as in the case of oily or acne-prone skin, downright harmful. Important: contrary to popular belief, mineral oil does not suffocate or actively clog skin -- in fact, it creates a layer of molecules so large they do not penetrate the skin, they just sit on top of it to seal and protect (which is why it is so great for dry skin!). However, think of this in terms of anyone who has oily skin -- if they naturally produce OIL AND BACTERIA, that is now trapped under an impermeable layer, and will certainly clog pores and create blemishes.

People with dry skin do not make their own sebum (oil), and do not produce bacteria with the sebum, so they are safe to use this. Acne-prone people will just make their skin worse by using this.

So, that is the first thing to keep in mind when using this product. Secondly, the price... wow. Why so expensive for common, inexpensive ingredients? Any average moisturizer will do the same. All of their products are frustratingly simple, with common ingredients you can pay a few bucks for at your local whole foods store, and they sell for over $20 for a tiny tube? Their age-defying serum, for example, is nearly $75 for crazy-cheap ingredients, only one of which has any performance-related power at all, and is so low on the ingredient list that there is no real benefit from it.

Bottom line: great for very dry skin, but not at that price. Find any other mineral oil based moisturizer and save the money.

on 3/14/2010 3:22:00 PM

Embryolisse is the brand name; the two moisturisers it makes are called Lait-Crme Concentr and Lait-Crme Liquide. The products are essentially the same in terms of ingredients, but the Liquide, as the name suggests, contains a greater proportion of water. It comes in a 500ml pump top plastic bottle. The Concentr, sold in a 75ml metal tube, has a thicker texture - this is the one people usually mean when they talk about Embryolisse.

I like the Concentr as a summer moisturiser. It's easy to use, never irritates, and sinks in easily. And it makes a great matte base for makeup. Just a pea sized blob is plenty, so it lasts for ages. If my skin is bit dry, in winter for example, I prefer something heavier though. Although I personally don't break out from it, it does contain shea butter, which might be a problem for some people.

It's made in France, and currently costs around 11 for a tube or 16 for a bottle there. You can buy it online from the company's website, embryolisse.com, though they don't ship to all countries. If you're planning to buy it in France, I recommend you check locations on the website first, as it's quite hard to find. In Paris, Mogador Sante is convenient retailer, just behind Galeries Lafayette and Le Printemps on Rue Mogador. In the UK you can buy the Liquide from ScreenFace in Covent Garden for 25, and for US retailers check embryolisseusa.com

Ingredients:

Water, Mineral Oil, Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Sterate, Triethanolamine, Beeswax, Cetyl Palmitate, Shea Butter, Phenoxyethanol, Steareth-10, Polyacrylamide, C13-14, Isoparaffin, Laureth-7, Propylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Aloe Vera, 1,2 Hexanediol, Capryl Glycol, Tropolone, Parfum

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It's not a miracle, but it is a very nice, basic, daily moisturizer. It's great under makeup especially, because it absorbs well and is not so rich that it makes your makeup slide off.

Here's a li'l secret: the moisturizer in the large pump bottle of body lotion is IDENTICAL to what's in the small tubes of face cream. If you like it and use a lot of it, the big bottle is a tremendous bargain, comparatively.

Lait-Crème Fluide (24 Hour Miracle Cream for Hand and Body):
1 ounce for $16, or 2.5 ounces for $28

Lait Creme Concentre (24 Hour Miracle Cream):
16 ounces for $40

So, this is the moisturizer you ll find on every beauty blogger s website and in every models bathroom.

That doesn t mean, it will work for your skin. I found it out the hard way, although I wanted to love this.

I was curious about this basic-yet-nothing-short-of-a-miracle moisturizer.

My skin is combo, acne-prone, sensitive and dehydrated.
Bought the small size (30 ml) online for 18 Euros.

The moisturizer is a light cream, which feels surprisingly rich on application.
I didn t find, that it sank into my skin, but it rather acted as a sealing and protecting cream which stayed on my skin. It´s quite "heavy" moisturizer, meaning it made my face shine a little bit and I "felt" the whole day, that I was wearing this moisturizer. I personally see it as a moisturizer for dry skin, not dehydrated skin, which is a big difference.

The moisturizing abilities are not very good in my opinion. The cream on its on would never deliver enough moisture for my rather dehydrated skin. I tested it with a hyualuronic acid serum underneath, which made the cream work better.

It made my skin glowing and look a little bit shiny, which is good, because my skin tends to look dull.

Took the flakiness away too and my make up applied easily. I have to admit, it made my skin look good and my make up looked very nice, so I guess, that s why so many MUA use it as a primer.

A few things I d recommend you to consider first, when you buy this moisturizer.
It contains beeswax, shea butter, aloe vera, fragrance and mineral oil.
If your skin doesn t like one of these ingredients, please, don t buy it.
For my skin, the beeswax was the dealbreaker. I had bad experiences with beeswax in organic creams, but never had it as an ingredient in conventional creams. It gave me a low level irritation the whole time I was wearing the moisturizer in daytime and I was relieved, when I could take it off in the evening. Not a good sign for me. If I kept on using this, my skin would have freaked out big time. I dealt with slightly irrtiated skin for a few days, so thankfully, no major irritation.

For me, this is a big no. But if you are sure, you re not reacting bad towards the ingredients and you are curious like me, you may give it a try.

Surely no must-have for my skintype and too many potential irritating or pore clogging ingredients for people with sensitive or acne-prone skin.

on 2/2/2011 10:36:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this moisturizer after seeing it on Pixiwoo's Youtube video (I love those girls). I needed a new daily moisturizer because my daily glycolic acid moisturizer, while very good for reducing scaring and pigmentation, was seriously drying me out.

I got this at Ricky's in NYC (one at 39th and B'way). They have the "large" size of 75ml for $25 or the smaller one at 30ml for $14. I decided to get the smaller one to try out. I don't find this particularly expensive. I'd call it middle of the line. There are some drugstore brands (US drugstore) which are comparable. I've certainly spent more at Sephora on moisturizer. At this price, it's something I can afford to buy on a whim, try out, and toss if I don't like.

The packaging is practical and solid. It's a metal tube with a screw cap, like those old school toothpaste tubes. I like how the plastic cap has a recessed point in the center so that you can use it to punch through the metal safety seal on the tube when you first open it.

I'm sure lots of people enjoy the metal tube, but as someone who likes things to always look clean/neat/uniform, it drives me a bit nuts that I can never get the metal tube to look "new" because unlike plastic, when you squeeze is doesn't bounce back! I hate dents in my containers. But if you're not OCD like me, you'll be fine.

I've been using it for about a week. So far, I think it is fantastic! Just as good as the Pixiwoo girls and others on MUA have been saying. I think the texture is amazingly smooth. It provides an excellent moisturizing barrier to my skin. This is one of the few moisturizers which I think actually sits on top of my skin, but in a completely unobtrusive, non-greasy way.

My trick as with all moisturizers is to moisten my face first before applying. I find it gives the cream more slip so I can spread a thinner layer. This uses the cream more efficiently and I don't feel like there's a heavy layer on my face.

The finish of this cream is totally non-greasy. It provides a super smooth base on which to apply your foundation (I use liquid). The areas where I used to have flaking foundation - near my nose and corners of my mouth - are now completely smooth. I am so, so impressed! I've used other "soothing" creams before like Aveeno to address those dry spots, but none work as well and as long as this one.

I find that I can use this all over my face. I have normal skin with a mildly oily T-zone and dryer around my mouth, chin. It has not broken me out so far.

In all: amazing moisturizer! I can't stop touching my skin. It feels super soft. It feels like there's a micro-thin barrier which is protecting my skin but also feel like part of my skin. Can't say enough good things. If they come out with one in a plastic tube...I will love it even more.

Update: after using it for two months. I'd say it's still a winner. My skin looked so smooth and clear that I had high hopes it would even keep me from my monthly breakouts. Unfortunately, that's all hormones, so no luck there...the lotion is wonderful, but it's not magic.

Update 2: after using this for nearly two years, I can't imaging going without it. I even picked up a full size backup when I was in Paris for 17 Euros (that's major savings over the $25+ in NYC). I got it at the Monoprix. Even though I've now switched to mineral powder from liquid foundation, this lotion is still compatible underneath.

I've been using this for about 2 months now. I usually like most moisturizers when I first start using them and then the shine wears off the apple after about 2 weeks and they get tossed into the vanity drawer or given away.

I'm on the verge of 54; my skin is ok. Gravity is doing its thing, so I'm getting saggy in the jowls and wrinkly around the eyes. Those are really my 2 biggest skin concerns. I'm combo skin, but if i don't take special care under my eyes, that area can get like the sahara, and it ain't cute. I had been using neutrogena hydro boost under eye cream and the hydro boost moisturizer and would follow that up with a moisturizing primer. That worked well, but I didn't feel like my skin stayed hydrated all day and I started to get sick of having to do all of that pre makeup stuff every day. I read the reviews on the Embryolisse and purchased a smaller tube (you can actually get a 1 oz size from Camera Ready Cosmetics, for $16) to try.

Day 1 I was like, "eh". It felt greasy, took awhile to absorb. Day 2 I lessened the amount i applied and was on the road the falling in love. The most important tip for this is that you need to let it absorb -- it's not a moisturizer you can slap on and then go right to the next step of your routine. I put it on and then do something else, like dry my hair or whatever, to give it a few minutes to do it's thing.

This gives my skin such a nice texture that I've eliminated primer on my face EXCEPT for under my eyes, and there I use a light, cooling primer stick there (Stila Aqua Glow Primer Stick) for some extra smoothness. If my under eye area wasn't so crepey, I'd probably wouldn't use any primer at all because this moisturizer is that good. It really has improved my skin, made it more pliable and plump and those jowls aren't looking so jowly anymore. My skin stays hydrated throughout the day, but my makeup stays put and fresh looking. At almost 54, I've recently gotten the first compliment in years on how nice my skin looks, so that should tell you something. I've been able to pare down the cosmetics routine too, and am able to get away with using only kevyn aucoin skin enhancer over the moisturizer to achieve a really nice smooth complexion. I'm in love with this stuff.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Like a lot of people here agree on, this is a very standard no-frills moisturizer. If you're looking for a specific benefit, such as brightening or exfoliation or other skincare goodness, Embryolisse won't cut it. But while this cream isn't some fancy jacket or frilly skirt, it IS my white tee that I can always count on.

A little about my history with Embryolisse: I first came across this cream because I was having severe cystic acne breakouts that required nuclear solutions which wreaked havoc on my skin. I needed a moisturizer that would soothe and hydrate without irritating my poor skin or interacting badly with all the treatments I was subjecting myself to. Out of all the basic creams that I tested out, Embryolisse is what I fell in love with. Below are a bunch of reasons why.

First and foremost, Embryolisse plays VERY well with others. I can incorporate this as a moisturizer regardless of what other targeted skincare I use. It also mixes well with other products. Some mixtures I use Embryolisse for:

- Add a mini-dab to my foundation or concealer for hydrating, dewy makeup that really blends into skin
- Mix with a retinol product (A313 and Adapalene are my go-to) to minimize irritation
- Add a drop of tea-tree oil for some breakout prevention
- Mix with aspirin paste to use as a face mask

The consistency is A DREAM. It's creamy like a cream, but also very fluid, which makes it blend and sheer out well on skin, without skimping on the hydration. A little goes a long way, and you can actually take a little and really spread it out without feeling like you're pulling and tugging on your face. It takes a minute to sink in, but it leaves skin feeling hydrated. While this is a rich formula, it doesn't coat your skin and leave it feeling heavy like all the other creams I tried out did.

PROS
- Versatile and reliable
- Plays nice with others
- Spreads out very well
- Great consistency
- Rich but not heavy

CONS
- Doesn't have any special benefits
- Might not work for those with oily skin
- Contains paraffinum liquidum AKA mineral oil which many people are against (I'm not, but to each their own)
- May break out people who are sensitive to mineral oil, shea butter, stearic acid (finding out what you're sensitive to is a worthy and beneficial endeavor)
- Does NOT contain SPF, which means you would have to incorporate other products if using in the daytime

As for the PRICE... It drives me crazy that a 75ml tube runs for $28 in the US, and I refuse to pay that price for this product, when it's so cheap in France. I rated the cost three lippies because my pride won't let me buy this cream for more than it's original tag (I mean, it's still a good value for a moisturizer but I like to rebel against hiked-up prices...it's the principle of it). However, I can get it for cheaper on Amazon (anywhere from $17-$20 for a 75ml tube, and I always vet the seller before purchasing), or from Costco, where you can get a pack of two 75ml tubes for about $40. Of course, you can purchase Embryolisse in France for anywhere from $11-$15, but I'll take what I can get!

I can understand why this has gained a cult status in France, particularly in Paris. The city is rather infamous for its hard tap water and high levels of pollution, and having experienced their damaging effects on my own skin when I was there, I have to say that occlusive products like this are effective in combating daily environmental stressors.

That said, this isn't necessarily a bad cream, but it definitely will not suit all skin types. It's easy to spread and is on the richer side, leaving a satin-like finish on the skin. For my combination skin, this works better on my cheeks than on my oilier forehead/T-zone. It's more moisturizing than other occlusives, and the shea butter and aloe put it a couple of steps above basic petrolatum products like Vaseline and Aquaphor. It has a jasmine-y fragrance, but it's not terribly strong and fades relatively quickly. The metal tube is also a nice touch, giving it an air of old-fashioned pharmacy treatments.

If you live somewhere with a mild or more humid climate, you can most likely pass on this. If you live in a place with harsh environmental factors, and if your skincare routine is fairly minimal, I'd recommend using something like this as an added layer of protection over a hydrating moisturizer or serum. Unless you're planning on visiting France sometime soon, however, I wouldn't recommend shelling out the extra cash to buy it in the US. It's not worth the hassle.

on 3/5/2014 6:00:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Etailers who sell fake products make me really disgusted, and recently I've heard that there are dupes of this that are just JUNK. Lots of sneaky etailers love to profit on brands that are difficult to find in the US, because they assume their vulnerable customer won't be able to tell the difference.. If you used something called Lait-Creme Concentre and it did not have Embryolisse's signature (very French) fragrance, you may have fake product.

Having been oily the last 30+ years I'm not exactly an expert on moisturizers; especially ones recommended for dry skin. You are wondering, Why did you buy this, then?

Well, I moved to a desert climate a year and a half ago, and my face is now technically more "combination", depending upon dew point and relative humidity. My hands, always dry from gardening, housework, ignoring them, etc...have been rough and scaly to the point of discomfort. For the price of Lait-Crme Concentr, I thought if I don't like it for my face it will be fine for a hand cream.

Turns out it just great for face, neck, hands...anywhere there are dry patches. Lait-Crme Concentr is absorbed immediately, shockingly! It softens my skin instantly. It's not cutting-edge or luxurious, but it does it's job.

This moisturizer must have been created by the gods of skin care. As a makeup artist, I still have yet to find a moisturizer or primer that makes skin feel as smooth as this. My story starts here: I thought I had struck gold when I found my Korres wild rose face cream. My face felt well-moisturized and it did not make me break out. However, the first time I applied Embryolisse Lait Creme Concentre to my face, I realized how parched my skin actually was (even though it seemed ok to me because it was better than it ever had been.) My reaction: "This is what my skin is supposed to look/feel like." I had some acne through my teens and early 20's and have some residual scarring and pigmentation. Until I started using this, I would usually have clear skin with imperfect texture that could still appear really nice and get complimented, but always had maybe one or two little zits somewhere. Once I started using this, it was like everything balanced out. My skin feels like plump, supple, baby skin and my foundation applies like a dream. The only time I get a break out now is right before you know when. Foundation also applies like a dream. I get told I have perfect skin all the time now. Also, I recommended my sister, who is suffering from pretty bad breakouts, start using this. She did, and her oily skin cleared up. I'm telling you, this stuff is good. I use it on all my clients and they all love it.