Boots No7 Stay Perfect Mascara

Boots  No7 Stay Perfect Mascara
No7 Stay Perfect Mascara

3.7

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This THE WORST of the tubing mascaras out there.

I'm trying the whole lot just now to be able to veer myself off the Clinique's Lash Power that I've been using for years just in case it is discontinued (brands love to do that s***t to faithful customers, don't they). I had hopes this one could be a cheaper version of the Clinique's product, but I was wrong. So wrong.

The brush is plastic with literally spikes sticking out which means that when you want to get to the very roots of the lashes, you are inevitably poking yourself painfully in the eye. (Clinique, Bobbi brown and Kevyn Aucoin have traditional bristle wands). It might be the brush's design or the heavy formula itself that make the lashes very sparse looking and like they are pretty much nonexistent. They loose the curl immediately after application (OK, Clinique's LP is not the best at holding curl but at least it kind of works for several hours), look short, stubby and unattractive. No lengthening effect here at all, which I actually quite like when using LP.

The formula lasts, so at least that and comes off quite spectacularly with warm water and flannel (just wet the flannel with warm water and hold it flat against your closed eyelids - in about 30 sec the polymers start to unbind and come off in great big, fluffy clunks. Clinique's LP comes off rather in smaller powdery bits.) but that is the only positive thing I can say about this mascara.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I love this mascara. I wear contacts and most mascaras leave me with panda eyes. I tried this mascara when another MUA person said it was good. It's easy to apply and I think it's quite natural looking. It's a tubing mascara so it doesn't smudge and it's easy to remove. You just use warm water and the tubes slide right off. I haven't had any issues with my lashes falling out. It's a 10 from me. I have bought this 4 times now and do not plan to try another mascara as long as this is being made.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I *love* tubing mascara. I'm actually a little obsessed with it. I've tried offerings from ELF all the way to Dior. I can't put my finger on what is making this one so clumpy on me, whether it's the brush or the formula, but I'm leaning toward the brush. It's just not doing a good job of separating my lashes, where on the other end of the spectrum is Clinique Lash Power Feathering, which separates my lashes so well I can barely get any volume at all! This is the most dissatisfied I've been so far with a tubing mascara and it's a bummer, because I do like the price point.

UPDATE: I've given this a few more tries, and while it isn't my favorite tubing mascara still, it certainly isn't as bad as I had thought before. I think there was just a learning curve with the brush, and now that I've learned to work fast, and use one thin coat, it's actually doing a decent job, so I'm bumping it from 3 to 4 stars.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have repurchased this TWICE... I only use it on my lower lashes because this stuff does not budge! I have used it on all of my lashes, once... and it was waaay too hard to take off. my eyes get watery so my lower mascara will smudge, but not with this! if you have a problem with your lower lashes smudging.

on 7/14/2016 5:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

No.7 in the gold tube. One of the worst tubing mascaras I've ever used. Leaves a rubbery, hard, crunchy coating on lashes that is ridiculously difficult to remove. Returned.

on 7/7/2016 2:25:00 PM

It's not my first tubing mascara. I had a clinique one acouple of years ago.The reason i like tubing mascara is because i dont have to rub the delicate under eye skin when removing it and because it does not irritate my eyes.
This mascara is good for everyday. It will not give the false eyeglasses effect, nothing over the top but enough to open up my eyes.I have straight, short eyelashes and this mascara does add some volume and length and even curl.
But you have to apply coats while it has not dried otherwise it will look clumpy.
It also good in defining eyelashes.The short rubber bristles do good job picking up my eyelashes and separating them.

True to its name, it will look perfect even after taking nap or being outside in humid weather.
The ultimate test for its waterproof abilities i had yesterday while swimming in the ocean, diving into waves. It did not smudge
at all!
In my local target its always sold out but i found it on target.com.
There is also a sticker with instruction on how to remove it on the tube.
You just need to gently rub you eyelashes with warm water until the mascara peels off.

on 3/3/2016 6:42:00 PM

I had never tried a tubing mascara before this one, and I don't think I need to look around for another. Over the past 18 months, this has become my go-to mascara for when I want long wear. It's also the only mascara I have ever found that I can wear on my lower lashes without problems. It doesn't flake, it doesn't smudge, it survives a bit of watery allergy eyes without a problem. You can nap in it, and wake up with it looking perfect.

It is not the sort of mascara that will wow you with your long, full, dramatic lashes after use; it's a very natural-looking mascara. Also, this is not the product for someone who likes to do multiple coats—you can work it for a bit on one eye at a time to get some length, but once you switch eyes, there's no going back; if you try, you'll ruin the surface of the tubes that are forming and get a gluey mess.

I have learned a few things about using this product:

1. You know how with most mascaras (the wax & pigment type) you can wiggle it at the base of your lashes to quickly approximate eyeliner? Well, don't do that with this stuff. The texture of this stuff when it dries is tight and uncomfortable on your skin.

2. When it starts going on clumpy, it's time to throw out the tube and get another one. This generally happens about eight weeks in for me.

3. Eye makeup remover does NOTHING to budge this stuff. You'll only get frustrated. You have to use warm water.

4. When removing it, very warm water is much, much better than tepid water. I soak a cotton pad in fairly warm (but not uncomfortably warm) water and hold it on one closed eye for 30-60 seconds, then gently swipe downward to begin removing the tubes. Repeat the downward strokes, and if you're still having trouble, rinse off the cotton pad and hold it there for another 15 seconds or so to make the tubes release. If you want a non-disposable removal method, baby washcloths work well as an alternate to disposable cotton pads.

4. Those really AREN'T your eyelashes coming off, they really are the tubes. It'll take a dozen or so removals to really believe it.

on 2/29/2016 11:47:00 AM

Finally! This is the best mascara for sensitive eyes that water a lot. I haven't been able to regularly wear mascara for the past year because my allergies have gotten so bad that my eyes water all the time. I can't deal with mascara that burns my eyes, flakes off the lashes, or leaves sooty smudges under my eyes. I had heard about tubing formulas but didn't want to pay a lot for a product that I need to replace every couple of months. Somehow I found out that Boots (sold at my Target) had a tubing formula (this one!) for only $9.99. It has a chic gold metallic tube that is completely shrink-wrapped so you know it's been kept sanitary on the shelf. The first time I tried it, I was completely wow-ed--it really defines my lashes and makes them look longer. You do have to be careful and not try to apply too many coats or it will get spidery, though. It's super-easy to remove this mascara too. I just love it. I have no need to search for another mascara now because I've found "the one."

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this mascara, though it is VERY badly billed: this is not a volumizing mascara by any means but a DEFINING mascara! The packaging releases JUST the right amount of mascara (no rubbing a bunch of product off the wand first!).

Also, duh, it's tubing, so you remove it a little differently, but, at least for me, it doesn't budge until you do. If you like a natural/separated lash look, I suggest this one.

I tested this mascara out against my fave one that I use at night, I wanted to find one less dramatic and more subtle to wear during the day. This one clumped right away and gave me issues with when I tried taking it off, it was wayyy too difficult.

Popular Mascaras