Ulta Eye Shadow

3.9

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

These are inexpensive and perfect for my 11 year old make-up loving tween - especially on sale. Some are matte, some glittery, some in between. You have to try a few and play around. Not a HG but a good way to seek out new colors to try.

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I have Ulta eye shadows in several of the darker colors, both in palette and single eye shadow form. (They look like they're the same manufacture.) The darker colors are dark enough for good color payoff, if you're pale; the shades are gorgeous, up close.. They also seem more expensive than the $6-8 or buy-two-get-two free would indicate. Finely milled and very pigmented, these are pretty, and absolutely worth the price.

However, if you're allergic, give these a pass. They're pretty, professional looking, and fun to play with, but they'll burn your eyes in a few hours if you're prone to eye-shadow allergy. I love the idea of these, but the execution didn't quite live up to my (unfortunately very allergic) expectations.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I am a little surprised that these get rather high ratings.

I bought 8 of these last year when they were on sale, BOGO (or one of their sales that made these really cheap/super-affordable). I find all of the shades to be very extremely flat (even the sparkly/glittery/shimmery ones..??) and very severely lacking in pigmentation. I have to apply several layers, and they also look patchy easily; for me they are hard to blend, even using different primers and even applying a foundation or concealer to my eyelids, no matter what little 'tricks' I tried, or even what I used to apply these (various brushes, sponges, even my fingertips), these just were not good. Wear-time was even worse, I got barely an hour of wear out of these before they either faded into nothing or creased or started to look even more patchy.

These might be nice for someone just starting out with makeup and can't afford a lot, if you get them on sale. I would think someone getting into makeup would not want a heavy dramatic look anyway, so this "lighter" (ie: less pigmentation) look might be perfect. Also for me generally speaking the colors in the pan varied greatly as opposed to what they look like swatched on my hands and applied to my eyelids. But I gave these 2 stars as opposed to one, because I think there is a market out there for this. However, for me, even if I was a newbie, I think I would stick with the Maybelline or Covergirl eyeshadow singles. I think they are actually even more affordable and IME perform and wear much better.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this shadows a while back, but the got lost at the bottom of all my makeup, but I just did a clean and found them again a couple months back. I have 7 shades, 4 trials (Naked (GL), Cala lily (SH), Mystique (SH), Key West (SH)) & 3 full size (Mist (SH), Satine (SH), Sable (MT)). They are all pigmented, the shimmer shades may be a little less than the matte shades, but they do give a good color payout and you can put as little or pack more color. They blend great, and they have a great price for the amount of product you get. The last me all day and don't move, of course I always use a primer with all my shadows.
The only 2 shades I am not crazy for is Satine (pink) & Mist (olive green/yellow), the first one because the color doesn't look good on me, and the second one because it is a color I just don't ever think of. But for my everyday (actually everyday) simple routine, Sable (latte brown) and Naked (off white), are my go to shadows, Sable for all over lid and Naked as a inner corner eye highlight.
One last thing, Ulta has matte, shimmer (most of the selection of colors are this type) and glitter shadows, and the glitter one are very glittery so if it is day-wear use little if not it is going to look like nightwear. Naked is glitter and that is why I use a bit of it as a highlight in the inner corner.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Update 2/29/16: I have to add that after a couple of years of going back and forth with these shadows, and thinking they aren't pigmented enough, I found the answer....primer. I started using NYX eyeshadow base and wow, what a difference. I really, really like Ulta eyeshadow now; it goes on smoothly and doesn't crease with primer. My favorites for a neutral crease color are Gold Dust (a purply taupe shimmer) and Mystique (taupe shimmer).
Nice selection of colors and good amount of product in the pan at an excellent price (especially if you get them on sale).
These shadows last all day with primer and I don't have a problem with creasing, fading, or fallout. I've bought Elegance, Mystique, and Twilight, and while they are pretty, there really isn't a lot of color payoff for me.
My daughter uses Silk and Peacock and loves both of them. She uses silk as a wash with just her eyeliner, and Peacock as a lid color and they look really nice on her. (Very fair skin, dark red hair and green eyes).

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have tried alot of Ulta eyeshadows. The pluses for this brand is 1) cost 2) range of colors and 3) highly pigmented. I have been very fortunate to get alot of the eyeshadows for free. When there is a super sale, you can get these for about $1. I do get compliments when I wear these eyeshadows. But here is the negatives 1) very shimmery 2) no lasting power, it falls off into your eyes. I can deal with the shimmery by only using it for a night look, but the fact the eyeshadow flakes off into eyes is just too much. I wear contacts and I constantly have itchy watery eyes. I do prime my lids before using this, but it still falls off.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Great colors. Good lasting power. No creasing. Pleasantly surprised.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

The quality of these shadows are great and reasonably priced! If you can find a shade that you like, definitley purchase. I highly recommend!

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have this in Bermuda Sands, Seashell and Gunmetal. I truly love them all, but Bermuda Sands is my favorite shadow ever - a perfect peachy beige. I think I bought them a couple years ago, and maybe the formulation has changes, but I have no problems with them being chalky or getting a film. They also work great with a damp brush, just treat them more like baked shadows. Would repurchase if I run out.

I bought 2 dark Ulta eyeshadows to use as eyeliner on my bottom lashline and I really like how it lasts. I use a thin, flat eyeliner brush that came with my E.L.F. cream eyeliner to brush on the Ulta eyeshadow. It lasts all day and I can use as much or as little as I want. It seems to work both wet and dry for me. I also got it for steal at 2 for $6 sale.