MyChelle The Perfect C Serum

3.6

Ingredients Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Water, 17% Ascorbic Acid (L), Alcohol Denatured (Grain)*, Glycerin (Vegetable)*, Aqua (Water), Ergothioneine (L) (Amino Acid), Polyglyceryl-4 Caprate (Coconut)**, Xanthan Gum (Fermented Sugar), Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil (TocominŽ), Tocotrienols, Tocopherol (D-Alpha), 2% Retinol, Fructooligosaccharides (D-Beta) (NutraFloraŽ), Aminoguanidine HCL, Astaxanthin (BioAstinŽ), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Coconut)**, Ubiquinone (CoQ10), 5% Glycolic Acid (Sugar Cane), Solanum Lycopersicum (Tomato) Fruit Lipids, Citrus Tangerina (Tangerine) Peel Oil*, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil*, Citrus Paradisi (Pink Grapefruit) Peel Oil*, Beta-Carotene (D) (Plant), Red Wine Extract, Glucosamine HCI (D) (Rose), Sodium Chloride (Salt), Polysorbate 20 (Plant), Sodium Hydroxide (Salt), Benzyl Alcohol (Plant) (*Certified Organic, **ECOCERT Approved/Accepted) 5/7/11

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

While not quite Perfect, MyChelle Perfect C Serum is quite nice. For drier or sensitive skins it will generally be problematic. 17% ascorbic acid is fabulous for skin that can manage it; a disaster for skin that can't. Optimally, ascorbic acid serums would be without plant extracts or metals (think zinc and copper...and plant extracts do contain traces of metal). I wouldn't NOT use this serum just because of the plant extracts, but it does make it slightly less desirable. Why? Because the interaction between metals and C creates slight oxidative stress for our skin. Certainly the benefits of ascorbic (even with metals) still outweigh the drawbacks, but it's unfortunate that they'd even be placed in formulation forcing us to choose between optimal formulation and optimal 'x' (ie skinfeel, concentration, cost etc).For my normalish, sometimes resistant, sometimes sensitive skin, this is like a peel......my skin temporarily darkens after 3-4 days of consecutive application, then starts to peel off over the course of the next few days, leaving wonderfully smooth skin underneath. Fine for a peel. Not fine *for me* for ever day use. i have to stick with my skinceuticals AOX 10 (good for acne prones, not emollient at all) or skinceuticals C E Ferulic (very very emollient, not good for acne prones).However, I would whole heartedly recommend this for someone with very resistant and/or oily skin....to be used first thing in the am on clean dry skin....every day.Why don't more companies use a bottle like this? Because opening in the pump allows air in which will over time allow for oxidation to occur. Also, amber bottles are more protective than (even opaque) white bottles. Purchase from a store with stock that turns over quickly, use it at a rate of 1 pump per day, and it should be fine. Keeping it in the fridge would extend it's life. Dispensing it into the tiny Skinceuticals sample size amber bottles and keeping it in the fridge would extend it's life even further. Regardless of the C serum I'm using, it always gets divided into those tiny little amber goodies, then all are kept in the fridge, the exception being the one I'm currently using, which is kept in my drawer in my bathroom.If you're stick of spending the $$$$ on Skin Medica and Skinceuticals AND you have strong and/or resistant and/or oily skin this would be a great L-Ascorbic Acid serum to try. And to be able to buy locally is such a bonus - especially if you can purchase from a locally owned health food store.Ingredients
Aqua, Hammamelis Extract, L-Ascorbic Acid, Wine Phytoalexins, Retinol/ Glycolic Acid Polymer Complex, Glycerol, L-Castor Oil, Methyl Glycol, Ethyl Alcohol, Tangerine and Grapefruit Essential Oils, CoQ10, Lycopene, Sandalwood Essential Oil, Beta Carotene, Xanthan Gum, D-Beta Glucosamine, D-Beta Fructan, Amino-Guanidine.

Directions
Apply the amount of two calibrated pumps to the face. Sensitive skin continued >>

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I originally got interested in this serum not for me, but for somebody else. I'm a dedicated advocate of the use of Vitamin C and my skin is the living proof of it. I thought that I had tried just about every C serum out there - at least every L-ascorbic acid serum. Somehow, I had overlooked this one and I'm really happy that I've discovered it. If you use a C serum, you know they can sometimes be a little bit gross to use, unless you can afford something like Revive's Arrete C.... To enjoy the benefits, I've put up with serums that often are smelly, sticky, or oily. I've cursed and raved when an expensive serum oxidized before I could finish it. All familiar complaints, si? Drum roll please! This stuff has NONE of those problems and all of the benefits. I love the little white opaque glass pump bottle, too. It's very affordable and readily available at your local Whole Foods.

I've used this product for many years (on and off) and it's the one product in my arsenal that makes an instant and noticeable difference in my skin. When I used to use it nightly layered under the Hyaluronic Ultra Hydrating Serum topped with fruit enzyme spray (yes over the serums, not under), people would stop me on the street and ask what products I was using. I tried to substitute this product for less expensive C serums, but I always come back to this one. I only gave it up because of price, but now I realize (in my late 30s) that I have to pony up the dough. I only have one face.

Here's what to expect:

1. Don't try to use this as a daytime serum. It's powerful and effective, but not cosmetically elegant. If you want a C product to use under sunscreen, find another one to use during the day. There are so many that have some C in them and feel just like a primer. Use this in the evening. Every other evening should do.

2. It may sting/tingle any areas of your face that are overly exfoliated, open or raw. It's temporary and should not cause redness.

3. Layer it under one of Mychelle's other serums. I like the Hyaluronic Acid one. But it works just fine on it's own.

4. It may smell odd to you (when I layer this under the HA serum and the Pumpkin Renew Cream - the old formulation - I wake up smelling like fermented fruit).

5. It really, really works on active inflammations and old redness. I have terrible issues with PIH.

6. If you have active rosacea tread lightly in those areas until you know how you will react.

7. Enjoy the glow the very next day.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is my main C serum and it is one of my favorite products. It is one of the few serums where I can actually see a definite improvement in the condition of my skin. It brightens/treats/prevents wrinkles and it actually clears my skin rather than break it out. I contacted the company with some questions and they said I only really need to use it once every 3 days since it remains in the skin for that long. I like that it's in a pump but like someone else mentioned, the pump can malfunction and dispense too much serum which is frustrating as the bottle is quite small and expensive.

Wow - my new hg vit C serum !!!! I just love this stuff! It's just the right consistency, not oily, greasy, sticky; doesn't smell bad, and it works ! I'm a Vit C veteran so I would have been perfectly happy to just maintain, but after a few weeks use, my skin is definitely brighter. I also think putting it in an opaque bottle (as opposed to the usual amber one) is just brilliant. I wonder why this isn't de riguer packaging for all C serums.

I don't want to jinx myself, so I've been holding off on reviewing these products...but so far, I am thrilled with this entire line. I feel great about this company and the natural ingredients used in these products and more important, the ingredients NOT in the products. My skin looks fantastic! Its clear, soft, non-reactive, well hydrated but not oily or greasy, well balanced and healthy looking. It really has a glow too it!

I have suffered with cystic acne on and off all through my life since my early 20's--and before I started using this line my skin was really dehydrated and dull with quite a few red marks/scars. I had been using Pevonia which I've heard great things about, but it was awful for my skin and I just decided to go back to basics and stop wasting money on products that were doing nothing for my skin. I went to Whole Foods--never hearing of this line before and reluctantly asked a salesperson for a recommendation. I figured they'd recommend Dr. H, which I don't have any use for and was pleasantly surprised when she said that she didn't really care for that line either. She said that MyChelle was her favorite line and was really helpful in pushing me in the right direction. The sample packs were great, too!! Great idea and I think I've gone back and purchased almost everything I've tried, thus far.

I have been using the Cranberry cleanser, the Fruit cleanser (alternating), the Fruit Mist (not sure what this really does, but it's supposed to be an impt. step in hydrating and balancing ph), Pumpkin Peel (every other day for exfoliation), Perfect C Serum--amazing stuff, Pumpkin Renewal Cream, and the Fabulous Eye Cream.

So far, so good--I am hooked!!!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Wow, I am very impressed. This is definitely a keeper. I used this at night and morning, every day, (just one drop though) for 2 weeks, and it dramatically evened out my skin tone. I had some minor sun damage and a few other slightly dark areas and this helped tremendously! No irritation, no pore clogging, just great results. I will definitely buy this again. (btw i am 27).

Previously, I used to use Eminence Organics' "Eight Greens Youth Serum", but now that i switched to MyChelle, i noticed much better results. Also, i am reviewing this after 2 weeks, but i noticed great results even after 2 days.

UPDATE: i stopped using this b/c i noticed that after 2-3 weeks it would go bad. (as in, the color would get darker and that means that Vit C isn't as effective. Also, it's super expensive. So now i make my own vitamin C serum from scratch-- i just use 1/4 teaspoon of L-Ascorbic Acid Powder mixed with 3 teaspoons of distilled water and a 1/4 tsp of Vit E natural oil. This new serum works great! i can make a fresh batch every few days and it actually gives much better results than the mychelle. But i do think the MyChelle is much better than most of the serums out there on the market. I just prefer to save money and make my own! :)

UPDATE #2: well, my homemade serum was too strong and burned my skin after a week of use! So i went back to MyChelle and fell in love with it all over again. I find that it calms my skin more than anything. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.... and the dispenser pump is always getting stuck on me so i get mad. but it is great stuff. I want to try Jason's hyper C serum next, since it's cheaper, but if that isn't as nice, i'll come back to MyChelle.

The first time I bought this product, it was actually on sale! I put it on my face and it was like a 5 alarm fire! It burned a little but was okay later. The bottle says use 2 pumps but I backed down to one and was just fine. A few problem areas on my face peeled when I first began using it but even after the first use I was AMAZED! This product did do it all for me! My lovely adult acne disappeared, my pores shrunk like nobody's business, and my skin became smooth, clear, and dare I say luminous!? (I wouldn't use too near the eye area though; the skin is too delicate.) I repurchased the other day, not on sale but I still consider it to be a bargain for what it does! I will happily repurchase because my skin is in love and it shows!! : ) Oh, and it does not burn to put it on anymore. It feels like water going on and soaks right into my skin, not sticky. This product is too wonderful to pass up, try it and be amazed!!

I love this serum better than any other vitamin serum that I have tried so far. I did not expect anything special to come of this serum- I purchased it on a whim while it was on sale. (The price for .5 fl. oz. is $45 is exorbitant and ridiculous, although I am quite impressed with the serum, it is simply not worth $90/fl. oz.) That being said, what I noticed immediately was a change in my skin's texture. My skin was smoother (after only one application) and was definitely more glowy and healthy-looking. At first I could not determine if it was the serum that caused it to feel that way or what, but then I noticed that I had brighter, smoother skin both morning and evening when I used this serum. I am still observing the long-term effects, but I am very content with my purchase and will continue to buy this item in the future.

Eyes: Violet

poor packaging the pump spit stuff everywhere. overpriced for $30 you can get real natural vitamin C poweder or natural fruit masque loaded with it's own fresh enzymes and apply to your face for only fraction of the cost / 10 times for effective. This stuff has alcohol so if your skin doesn't tolerate alcohol very well, stay away like a plaque. It also contains argan oil that has been known to cause break out and pimples for some people especially those with oily acne prone skin