MyChelle The Perfect C Serum

Filtered by age: 36-43

4.3

Ingredients Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Water, 17% Ascorbic Acid (L), Alcohol Denatured (Grain)*, Glycerin (Vegetable)*, Aqua (Water), Ergothioneine (L) (Amino Acid), Polyglyceryl-4 Caprate (Coconut)**, Xanthan Gum (Fermented Sugar), Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil (TocominŽ), Tocotrienols, Tocopherol (D-Alpha), 2% Retinol, Fructooligosaccharides (D-Beta) (NutraFloraŽ), Aminoguanidine HCL, Astaxanthin (BioAstinŽ), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Coconut)**, Ubiquinone (CoQ10), 5% Glycolic Acid (Sugar Cane), Solanum Lycopersicum (Tomato) Fruit Lipids, Citrus Tangerina (Tangerine) Peel Oil*, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil*, Citrus Paradisi (Pink Grapefruit) Peel Oil*, Beta-Carotene (D) (Plant), Red Wine Extract, Glucosamine HCI (D) (Rose), Sodium Chloride (Salt), Polysorbate 20 (Plant), Sodium Hydroxide (Salt), Benzyl Alcohol (Plant) (*Certified Organic, **ECOCERT Approved/Accepted) 5/7/11

I've used this product for many years (on and off) and it's the one product in my arsenal that makes an instant and noticeable difference in my skin. When I used to use it nightly layered under the Hyaluronic Ultra Hydrating Serum topped with fruit enzyme spray (yes over the serums, not under), people would stop me on the street and ask what products I was using. I tried to substitute this product for less expensive C serums, but I always come back to this one. I only gave it up because of price, but now I realize (in my late 30s) that I have to pony up the dough. I only have one face.

Here's what to expect:

1. Don't try to use this as a daytime serum. It's powerful and effective, but not cosmetically elegant. If you want a C product to use under sunscreen, find another one to use during the day. There are so many that have some C in them and feel just like a primer. Use this in the evening. Every other evening should do.

2. It may sting/tingle any areas of your face that are overly exfoliated, open or raw. It's temporary and should not cause redness.

3. Layer it under one of Mychelle's other serums. I like the Hyaluronic Acid one. But it works just fine on it's own.

4. It may smell odd to you (when I layer this under the HA serum and the Pumpkin Renew Cream - the old formulation - I wake up smelling like fermented fruit).

5. It really, really works on active inflammations and old redness. I have terrible issues with PIH.

6. If you have active rosacea tread lightly in those areas until you know how you will react.

7. Enjoy the glow the very next day.

I have received this as part of an awesome Mychelle sample kit of many good cleansers and creams. The tiny vials of serums are very hard to get the product out of though. This serum did not smell right and I think it is because Vitamin C becomes easily oxidized if it is not stabilized. I will be looking for another Vitamin C option and in the meantime I am buying the full size Mychelle sunshield.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have oily, acne prone skin. I have had problems with it for at least 20 years. I have searched far and wide for a product that worked consistently. I was doing ok with my previous products, but still had the occasional breakouts, and felt there had to be something out there to improve my skin.

I loved the idea of using a product line that leaves out all the chemical nasties, so I ordered some of this C Serum for a discounted price through the Amazon subscribe service. My skin has never been so clear. I am on my second bottle, and hope results continue for a long, long time. I have had maybe 2 pimples in the last 4 months. Amazing, considering I used to have at least 2 at all times! I was using the C Serum morning and night, but added the Clear Skin Serum about a month ago at night instead of the C Serum because it's much less expensive. But I believe the C Serum is what made all the difference. If you have acne, I highly recommend it. It does NOT help with shine, but at least I'm clear!

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have been using this serum a bit over a year now. My latest bottle is the new packaging. This is the best C serum I have tried, and it is having noticeable effects on the texture and smoothness of my skin. I ran out a few months ago and didn't bother to buy more, after a few weeks of not using it I noticed the difference - larger pores and more freckles. I went out and got some more and my skin is happy again!

I recently switched to Avalon Organics CoQ10 moisturizer day and night cream and the combo is especially effective - my skin looks really good!

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

While not quite Perfect, MyChelle Perfect C Serum is quite nice. For drier or sensitive skins it will generally be problematic. 17% ascorbic acid is fabulous for skin that can manage it; a disaster for skin that can't. Optimally, ascorbic acid serums would be without plant extracts or metals (think zinc and copper...and plant extracts do contain traces of metal). I wouldn't NOT use this serum just because of the plant extracts, but it does make it slightly less desirable. Why? Because the interaction between metals and C creates slight oxidative stress for our skin. Certainly the benefits of ascorbic (even with metals) still outweigh the drawbacks, but it's unfortunate that they'd even be placed in formulation forcing us to choose between optimal formulation and optimal 'x' (ie skinfeel, concentration, cost etc).For my normalish, sometimes resistant, sometimes sensitive skin, this is like a peel......my skin temporarily darkens after 3-4 days of consecutive application, then starts to peel off over the course of the next few days, leaving wonderfully smooth skin underneath. Fine for a peel. Not fine *for me* for ever day use. i have to stick with my skinceuticals AOX 10 (good for acne prones, not emollient at all) or skinceuticals C E Ferulic (very very emollient, not good for acne prones).However, I would whole heartedly recommend this for someone with very resistant and/or oily skin....to be used first thing in the am on clean dry skin....every day.Why don't more companies use a bottle like this? Because opening in the pump allows air in which will over time allow for oxidation to occur. Also, amber bottles are more protective than (even opaque) white bottles. Purchase from a store with stock that turns over quickly, use it at a rate of 1 pump per day, and it should be fine. Keeping it in the fridge would extend it's life. Dispensing it into the tiny Skinceuticals sample size amber bottles and keeping it in the fridge would extend it's life even further. Regardless of the C serum I'm using, it always gets divided into those tiny little amber goodies, then all are kept in the fridge, the exception being the one I'm currently using, which is kept in my drawer in my bathroom.If you're stick of spending the $$$$ on Skin Medica and Skinceuticals AND you have strong and/or resistant and/or oily skin this would be a great L-Ascorbic Acid serum to try. And to be able to buy locally is such a bonus - especially if you can purchase from a locally owned health food store.Ingredients
Aqua, Hammamelis Extract, L-Ascorbic Acid, Wine Phytoalexins, Retinol/ Glycolic Acid Polymer Complex, Glycerol, L-Castor Oil, Methyl Glycol, Ethyl Alcohol, Tangerine and Grapefruit Essential Oils, CoQ10, Lycopene, Sandalwood Essential Oil, Beta Carotene, Xanthan Gum, D-Beta Glucosamine, D-Beta Fructan, Amino-Guanidine.

Directions
Apply the amount of two calibrated pumps to the face. Sensitive skin continued >>

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My experience with Mychelle products has been hit or miss, but this C serum is excellent. I've used other C serums that have made me breakout terribly. This one has just the opposite effect. In the six plus weeks of use I've had minimal breakouts, with none in the last three weeks. My reddened rosacea inflamed skin is calmer, and some of my old acne scars are much lighter. I'm hoping with continued use, they disappear. The best result though, has been a reduction in fine lines around my eyes and the vertical wrinkles between my eyes. I am extremely pleased. This is a 17% L-ascorbic acid serum with several other anti-oxidants that comes in a pump bottle. I hate those C serums that come in a dropper bottle, because I'm always afraid of spillage or contamination. A half once cost about $35, which is on par with most C serums.. The directions suggest using twice daily, but I only use it in the morning, under my sunscreen. Two pumps covers my face, neck, and chest. It does seem a little thick and oily, but once I apply it and allow it to soak in my sunscreen and makeup go on fine over it. I will definitely keep using this product.